Ear Care

May
Old Hand

Jan 30, 2002, 12:13 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Ear Care Can't Post

Hi!

Anyone know how to clean a puppy ear and what kind of products to use?

Derrickok
Novice

Jan 30, 2002, 1:18 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1178 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Ear Care [In reply to] Can't Post

Puppy ears are generally fairly clean, unless water got into them by accident and then they become infected and septic.
By the same token, thses ears are also very delicate and sensitive, therefore, the choice of ear cleaners from the pet shops is also important. "Royal Breed" ear cleaner is alcoholic base and it is only recommended for adult dogs. I would prefer "Aristo" ear cleaner which is mild and gentle.
If your puppy's ears do not emit any foul smell and do not have excessive accumulated ear wax, I would suggest that you use cotton swabs or cotton blops and wipe them once a week.
Regards,

jason
Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2002, 9:33 AM

Post #3 of 7 (1166 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Ear Care [In reply to] Can't Post

Eh Uncle Derrick,

If my dog's ears got some wax inside, is that normal? Or ... I should buy what you have mentioned to use? By now, I just clean the wax out of the ears by using cotton buds only. Advice?

Regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Derrickok
Novice

Jan 30, 2002, 3:39 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Ear Care [In reply to] Can't Post

My dear Jason,
Are you asking questions just for the sake of asking, or are you trying to keep this "Ear Care" topic as lengthy as the Federal Highway in Kuala Lumpur?
Please refer to my last paragraph and I am sure you will be satisfied with the answer.
Regards.

May
Old Hand

Apr 9, 2002, 12:14 AM

Post #5 of 7 (1147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Ear Care [In reply to] Can't Post

Recently I discovered my pup left ear has excessive accumulated ear wax and she always pawing her ear. I bought a ear cleaner at a petshop and I was asked to clean my pup ear with a cotton bud dampen with the solution. The problem is I can't clean those wax inside her ear.

Can I pour the solution in her ear and left it for a while before I clean her ear?

(This post was edited by May on Apr 9, 2002, 12:33 AM)

Andrew

Apr 9, 2002, 12:21 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1146 views)
Shortcut

As I always do, I'll pour in some of the solution into the ear canal and massage for a while and wipe it of with a dry cloth.

Andrew Wong
Miniature Pinscher, Born 22.12.2000

Derrickok
Novice

Apr 9, 2002, 1:36 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1141 views)
Shortcut

You need a helper if your puppy is not used to ear drops. Lay it flat on the ground, quickly squeeze about 3 to 4 drops into the ear and then let it stand up and massage the base of the ear with your index finger for 1/2 to one minute. You should be able to hear some sort of gargling sound. After that allow your pup to shake its head. The wax should also be coming out from the canal of the inner ear. Repeat the same with the other ear. Once you have done both ears, allow your dog to rest for 10-15 minutes and then use cotton bulb to clean off the mess.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my