Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog Sports, Schutzhund, Protection, Tracking,.....: Schutzhund & Protection Dogs:
OB Training for Schutzhund

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

boon
Doggyman

Feb 3, 2004, 8:09 PM

Post #1 of 36 (4840 views)
Shortcut
OB Training for Schutzhund Can't Post

Hi All,

Guess OB aka Obedient is not new to most of the people in this forum, but what are the similarities and differences between the normal OB class/trial conducted by MKA and the OB/BH in Schutzhund the Dog Sport.

OK here comes a few, what are the things that we can see in the actualy end product of 2 type of OB trial ? what are the diff in dogs we can see and what type of dog is suitable ? How to get attention at all time.............and many more.......

Once we have the clear understand of all these, then we move forward to the training method use and way to train your dog to the happy finish product.

Remember this, a happy dog will surely give the owner the honour of owning them.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 4, 2004, 6:34 AM

Post #2 of 36 (4820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] OB Training for Schutzhund [In reply to] Can't Post

hello

i'm always impressed with schutzhund OB! though i have only seen a schutzhund demonstration once, it sure does make us regular OB ppl envious of the end result.

me no expert in both normal OB nor schutzhund OB, but my humble opinion is that the normal trials conducted by MKA is more like a casual game for regular pets and owners... the trial difficulty is certainly not as high as schutzhund's..and any dogs regarding of breed and sizes may do normal OB.

and as for schutzhund, i always feel it seems more formal than regular OB. discipline is the keyword all the way. the attention the dog gives to his handler is amazing. oh, and the dumbell i saw they used was HUGE.

mmm, just wondering if we may apply schuzthund OB training method to regular OB dogs? the schutzhund training method might not fit well for a housepet.

boon
Doggyman

Feb 4, 2004, 7:57 AM

Post #3 of 36 (4816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] OB Training for Schutzhund [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Li Ping,

Hmmmmmmmm, nice to see the OB session in a schh trial, initially i find it boring, what i wanted to watch is the protection part, but once i gotta to know a little more about schh ob, i was pretty impressed by the way they train their dog and get the happy end result. As i know, IMHO, the KEY for this happy end product is all about Motivational OB or purely positive training during initial stage and ONLY a little of reinforcement during proven stage. Only reinforce if your dog know 100% of the command and decided not to obey or do it...........you must also think 1 or 2 steps in advace before doing the correction or your anticipate that your dog may not perform and u alrady kknow u know do the reinforment this time. Do do it out of sudden and unplan.

In Reply To

mmm, just wondering if we may apply schuzthund OB training method to regular OB dogs? the schutzhund training method might not fit well for a housepet.

As i mentioned earlier, the key for 'happy end product' is positive way of training or Motivational OB. The bible for this method is perfectly elaborated in this book
  • PURELY POSITIVE TRAINING: COMPANION TO COMPETITION - Sheila Booth

A must have 'bible' for any dog owner especially OB people :)

• Another book for Schh OB

SCHUTZHUND OBEDIENCE: TRAINING IN DRIVE - Gottfreid Dildei & Sheila Booth

This one only work on GSD/Lab and others with at least a food/play and better still prey drive. Drive monster......or ball crazy dog only can do this.

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

(This post was edited by boon on Feb 4, 2004, 8:04 AM)

boon
    Doggyman

Feb 10, 2004, 10:14 PM

Post #4 of 36 (4775 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [ALL] OB Training for Schutzhund [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi All,

Just to keep this thread alive and getting clear about the 2 OB mentioned. Pls have your commetns and input up here.

Paging for :-

Ludoc, Kowpa, Azman, Sherman, 'Corporal' and others......... pls help to keep this thread alive.

mhazman

Feb 12, 2004, 1:38 AM

Post #5 of 36 (4744 views)
    Shortcut

Guys,
    Its all about focus, drive,control and dog/handler teamwork. We have to be able to harness the drive to control the dog to obey commands without stressing the dog to comply. Without the drive n focus U will not see a happy dog in OB. Too high also cannot train. So then we need balanced drives....
    Its getting more complicated. U need to see the real thing to understand.
    I'm learning thru experience with cuts and bruises from high ball drive.....Wink

Azman

Ludoc
    Novice

Feb 12, 2004, 8:10 AM

Post #6 of 36 (4738 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [mhazman] OB Training for Schutzhund [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
    Guys,
    Its all about focus, drive,control and dog/handler teamwork. We have to be able to harness the drive to control the dog to obey commands without stressing the dog to comply. Without the drive n focus U will not see a happy dog in OB. Too high also cannot train. So then we need balanced drives....
    Its getting more complicated. U need to see the real thing to understand.
    I'm learning thru experience with cuts and bruises from high ball drive.....Wink

Azman

I lend a tape on Schutzhund sport to an obedience judge in Ipoh and he was very impressed with the top level obedience, esp. the 'stand in motion'! He is one faithful follower of Koeler's method of dog training . Dogs trained by this method heels faithfully but there is no 'bounce' or 'oomph!' unlike dogs trained in drive and focus. I know what azman is saying; I have sustained numerous cuts in the hands and scratches all over as well as a few t-shirts torn from the chest trying to out-do my dogs in the 'ball-game'! After a while one gets the timing right. With the renewed interests, I now have new trainign partners and things are more fun. Maybe we should have a friendly competition with Penang, Ipoh and KL teams! One thing I learned : in the early stage of training heeling, go around in small circles ( to the right), increase the width when the dog is consistently heeling close and focussing on the handler then introduce short straight stretches. A common mistake I think ,of beginners is to heel the dog in a long straight course too ealy and the dog loses focus easily. Ony opinions?

I think this is a good way of discussion: one subject at a time.Let's talk about heeling first!

boon
    Doggyman

Feb 12, 2004, 4:14 PM

Post #7 of 36 (4727 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [Ludoc] OB Training for Schutzhund [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Dr Loo,

yeah agree with u, products out of koehler method will not give u the 'happy look' as what u see in the todays SchH competition.

In Reply To

One thing I learned : in the early stage of training heeling, go around in small circles ( to the right), increase the width when the dog is consistently heeling close and focussing on the handler then introduce short straight stretches

Hehehe this method i saw it in one of the tape title : From Puppy to Novice, From Novice to Cruft - Mary's Way.

PSD
    ALPHA

Feb 12, 2004, 8:25 PM

Post #8 of 36 (4723 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [Ludoc,Azman,Boon] OB Training for Schutzhund [In reply to] Can't Post

hahaha. U guys got bruised hands and torn shirts. I nearly lost an eye due to a mistake, got nose bleed once and 3 torn shirts, 1 torn pants and plenty of hand bruises and now I have immunity to tetanus for the next 3 years by taking a shot for dog bite.....lolTongue Not the dog mistake but all mine. They did just fine and I was the lousy one.

I agree with everyone that training a Schutzhund dog is to train them in their natural drives. Balance drives is what we always strive for as the golden middle however it is actually not an easy task as most dogs is stronger in certain drives and weaker in others. So training a Schutzhund dog needs a lot of time and commitment due to this. Methology is just the basic core but creativeness, understanding of dog behaviour and learning paterns and their individual behaviour and how to activate their natural drives will excell over traditional single track methods.

Dr. Loo, the circular heeling to the right is very good for running the dog with prey as you will always be ahead of the dog which is what we want. However with a fast dog, this is not so good to use for O/B as it will further encourage the dog to forge to the front and right. Therefore this right circle is very good for a slow dog to encourage tightness and speed. Fast dog must be dealt with the opposite way that is to heel to the left circle. Once the heeling is stabilised then you can go straight and the turns.

What I uses is a piece of light leash of 4-6ft, lightly controll the forging with my left hand on the leash (lightly meaning no tension only light pops not correction when in too high drive of forging) with prey item in hand to activate the focus point then release after one or 2 steps when he is focusing intensely. Steps is then built up to longer strides. After that I will keep the prey item somewhere else and heel with empty hands when the dogs are more stable already. The item comes out intermittently when focus is intensed. training session is only less than 3 mins.

Kohler Method........wah still got people use kah?Tongue

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
    Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

(This post was edited by PSD on Feb 12, 2004, 8:28 PM)

Ludoc
    Novice

Feb 13, 2004, 7:40 AM

Post #9 of 36 (4710 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [PSD] OB Training for Schutzhund [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the tip. Rokko has this problem of over-crowding . I'll see if this will work better. He has developed the bad habit of slow sit in motion and I remember seeing Mike Warrer's method of carrying a length of leash on the left shoulder and gently whip the buttock of the dog on sit command. Problem is it is not as easy as it looks and often time one misses the buttock and the correction is thus not effective. Some say never do the sit in motion without someone watching behind your back and signal you if the dog does not sit. Any bright ideas? Sitz and platz are relatively easy to train. Difficult ones are 'bring' (fetch) and send away. I'm sure there will be lots of debates on motivational vs forced retrieved!

To me the send away is really a trick to fool the dog to go where he is expected to find the prey! I will salute the person who can send the dog in ANY direction and any distance with the dog dropping om command, not between the goal posts!

FredAl
    Novice

Feb 13, 2004, 5:55 PM

Post #10 of 36 (4700 views)
    Shortcut

When training a dog for any exercise, we need to provide it with information and motivation. When using the tug toy, that toy is the motivation. But what information can we provide it in heeling? The correct position.

Let’s start from basics: Put a short leash on the dog (2 - 4 feet so it’s easier to handle). Show the dog that you have the tug toy as you walk toward the training field. For the highly driven dog, put the toy in your right rear pocket or a holster in that location. For the low to medium driven dog, walk toward the field while holding the toy with your right hand but tucked toward your elbow.

Give the command, “foos” or “heel”, then start walking in a brisk manner while continuously talking to and guiding your dog to the correct position. If he’s crowding you say, “ahhk” (a gentle no), while you pop the lead back. As soon as he is in the right position, say “good foos” and immediately reward him with a tug game and release the toy for him to savor the reward. But you should still be holding on to his leash as you run with him in a circle while he proudly struts his stuff. Once he has released his excited energy, command him to sit, pet him calmly (long gentle strokes) then “aus” so he releases the toy. “Good aus”! (praise in an excited manner), slip the toy behind you (or hold with right hand for low to medium drive dogs) and proceed with another heel command into an animated fast walk (gets the dog’s drive up again).

Repeat the exercise, making sure that you praise and reward him the instant he is in the correct heel position. You can keep doing the heel exercises until the dog is at the height of his drives. Then quit.

You now provided your dog with the right information: “you will be rewarded with the toy or a game of tug when you are at the correct heeling position.”

The dog will always push us to release the toy for him or to play tug with him. But we have to make him realize that we will only reward him if and when he is doing the right behavior. So he will keep offering the right behavior – in this case, the correct heeling position. Timing of the reward is the vital factor.

This type of training is also classified under operant conditioning: Behavior that is rewarded will be repeated; behavior that is ignored or corrected tends not to be repeated.

(This post was edited by FredAl on Feb 13, 2004, 5:59 PM)

FredAl
    Novice

Feb 13, 2004, 6:27 PM

Post #11 of 36 (4698 views)
    Shortcut

For the quick sit: One method I find very effective is to “block the dog’s path”.

From a fast walk while the dog is heeling, give the command, “sit”, then quickly whip around in front of the dog to block his forward motion. The dog will immediately put on the brakes to avoid running into you, and since he was commanded to sit, his reflex would be to brake into a sit. Then you praise him and give him some treats (your hand will be positioned in front and middle, near your crotch area, as you reward him with the treats). This also conditions the dog for that position when training for the recall (proper sit in front of you).

Do this a few times and the dog will be conditioned to quickly sit when he hears your command in order to beat you from whipping around in front of him. Plus, he knows that a quick sit gets rewarded with treats.

Once he is sitting quickly, you can start by taking an extra step after he sits. Then step back in front of him and reward him. Then you can increase the number of steps you take after he sits, making sure you go back in front of him to reward him for the quick sit.

This will also condition him to stay in that sit position until you go back to him for his reward.

(This post was edited by FredAl on Feb 13, 2004, 6:29 PM)

FredAl
    Novice

Feb 13, 2004, 6:59 PM

Post #12 of 36 (4694 views)
    Shortcut

For the send away that doesn’t “fool the dog to go where he is expected to find the prey”, I would use the dog’s combat drive instead of prey to induce this behavior. But I would make sure that the dog’s platz (down) is solid before I attempt this.

I would also condition the dog to watch me while heeling for this exercise.

Ask the helper (decoy) to hide behind some bushes. Heel the dog, point toward the bushes and give him the voraus command. As soon as the helper hears the voraus command, he shows himself. In the initial stages, he might have to make some noise to attract the dog’s attention.

Once the dog understands the exercise, ask your helper to hide in another location. Then do the same exercise. Initially, the dog might head over the first bushes expecting to see the helper there. The helper should attract the dog’s attention as soon as he hears the handler give the command.

It would help to also reverse the direction for this exercise. If you are starting on the south end of the field and heading north for the send out, start from the north and head south. This makes the dog realize that his opponent (the helper) can be hiding anywhere; and that he has to look up to you for direction.

Once the dog is running toward where you sent him, start giving him the platz command. The first few times, the helper will not be there. The dog will usually run up to where he is expecting to find the helper. Only then will he platz, unless of course his platz is solid.

If not, there are a few methods to do this. But the method depends on a lot of factors and not practical to share over the Net.

PSD
    ALPHA

Feb 13, 2004, 11:03 PM

Post #13 of 36 (4688 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [Ludoc, Fred] OB Training for Schutzhund [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the tip. Rokko has this problem of over-crowding . I'll see if this will work better. He has developed the bad habit of slow sit in motion and I remember seeing Mike Warrer's method of carrying a length of leash on the left shoulder and gently whip the buttock of the dog on sit command. Problem is it is not as easy as it looks and often time one misses the buttock and the correction is thus not effective. Some say never do the sit in motion without someone watching behind your back and signal you if the dog does not sit. Any bright ideas? Sitz and platz are relatively easy to train. Difficult ones are 'bring' (fetch) and send away. I'm sure there will be lots of debates on motivational vs forced retrieved!

Ludoc, The leash lash I would not use so often. Looks like a macho thing to do but in fact it will make the dog anticipative to the pain and ruin the attitude. To get them to sit is easy but to gain back a ruined attitude is a big big problem. I agree with the method described by Fred. The swing around is a great tool to use and the food as a positive reinforcement on the fast sit is a nice motivator. Before the sit in motion I would make sure the sit is very solid in all occassion. This I do on ball play, tug play, treets, before letting out from kennel, before giving meal, etc. He has to drop sit on command within 1 second....3 second is a good start, 2 second is ok but u want 1 second as a target before getting anything nice. Opperant Conditioning is applied here. "Sit = nice things coming" is what we want to built into the dog. He will works faster if your reward exites him.

Bring/fetch does not come in tht often in training as a formal thing. What comes most of the time is nice game of fetch where "he brings item he gets to play tug or he gets to chase and fetch again or he gets driven. This will build the auto bring back to you as the the prey item itself is only 1/2 the fun where u will be the other half to complete it. By playing tug even with a dumbell, you will enforce the hold so that when he comes back to you he dont just drop it at your feet. Just dont be too rough on the dumbell as you dont want to hurt the dog and cause any negative conditioning. Outing is only done once in 20-30 times initially the rest dog always wins. Once u can do that, there isnt a need for a "forced retrieve"

Freds idea on the send away is very interesting and I'm interested to try it too. I have always done it on prey. Thanks Fred.

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Ludoc
    Novice

Feb 14, 2004, 7:46 AM

Post #14 of 36 (4671 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [FredAl] OB Training for Schutzhund [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks a lot for the advice. I shall try them. Another problem I face is the finish: Rokko tends to overshoot into an almost forward sitting position on 'fuss' from the front. I tried to shift his rump towards me but often if i do not do it, he will tend to make the same mistake. Is it because I am holding the prey too much in front? It is as if he is moving over in front to look for his ball.

I am looking forward to attend Kebernik's session this weekend!

boon
    Doggyman

Feb 14, 2004, 7:47 AM

Post #15 of 36 (4671 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [PSD] OB Training for Schutzhund [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi PSD,

Opperant Conditioning is applied here. "Sit = nice things coming"

Correct me if i'm wrong, i thought Sit == nice thing coming is clasical conditioning ? Opperant Conditioning is to build 'positive experience/history into the dog'. No ?

Pls elaborate further Blush

MalsInOz
    Novice

Feb 14, 2004, 7:20 PM

Post #16 of 36 (4663 views)
    Shortcut

Hi all,

Ludoc, i see your problem with the finish, Rokko doesn't understand exactly Fuss as "a position" not "an action". We teach Fuss as a position, so regardless of whether you are stationary, moving forward / backward / sideways - the dog must maintain the position which is directly by your left side, exactly straight, shoulder to knee with absolute attention. Location of the reward has almost no bearing. Once the dog understands this as "a position" you will not have the problems you describe.

All of our Obedience is taught using similar principles - "positions" not "actions". During the teaching / proofing phase the dog only ever hears the command and praise when it's in exactly the correct position, this results in zero negative associations. Attitude is developed primarily by the dogs anticipation for release and play, so a release command is essential as is rewarding tiny steps forward.

I'm sorry it's not really possible for me to go into detail with how you do these things in messages, we have learnt most over the past couple of years from Mr. Lance Collins of Canada and we are having, for us, truly remarkable results. Precision, Speed, Attitude & most important, Reliability.

I haven't seen Bernhard Flinks or Ivan Balabanov videos, however i believe their techniques are based on similar principles?

Regards,

Evan

Polluxx
    Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2004, 7:28 PM

Post #17 of 36 (4649 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [All] OB Training for Schutzhund [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all,

Quote:---------------------------------------------------
    I am looking forward to attend Kebernik's session this weekend!
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Yo..U all lucky chaps...do fill us in on all the happenings on such an exciting weekend !! .....Cool !!

In Reply To

"Show me your dog and I'll tell you what manner of man you are."
    (GSD Founder - Capt Max V Stephanitz)

(This post was edited by Polluxx on Feb 15, 2004, 7:29 PM)

boon
    Doggyman

Feb 16, 2004, 4:40 PM

Post #18 of 36 (4631 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [Polluxx] OB Training for Schutzhund [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Poll,

u missed it all.............Tongue

Polluxx
    Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2004, 6:20 AM

Post #19 of 36 (4613 views)
    Shortcut

Boon,

Yes.....and...I'm still kicking myself on the head ...just thinking abt it Frown ...Darn..!!

Well ....dun keep me in suspense la !! .....out with it...EVERY damm thing....!! ....what were the highlights ? best learner..?? the flashiest dog ...?? and the best kept training secretssss ....??

UnsureUnsureUnsureUnsureUnsure..........! ! !

"Show me your dog and I'll tell you what manner of man you are."
    (GSD Founder - Capt Max V Stephanitz)

boon
    Doggyman

Feb 17, 2004, 6:46 AM

Post #20 of 36 (4611 views)
    Shortcut

ok cheese of the day out of the 2 days seminar

'protection, tracking, ob is all OB' is all about control.The tracking is similar with Joanne Fleming Plumb's way.

PSD
    ALPHA

Feb 17, 2004, 9:30 PM

Post #21 of 36 (4601 views)
    Shortcut

Yup sure u missed it all.........no matter what we say, u still miss it all.......lol. The secret is control and attitude. How to do it? Make sure you dont miss the next session which is going to be a looooooooooong time from now I'm afraid.Tongue

PSD

comel23
    Novice

Feb 19, 2004, 10:02 PM

Post #22 of 36 (4573 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [MalsInOz] OB Training for Schutzhund [In reply to] Can't Post

SlyHello Evan

Is it possible that I can keep in touch with you via e-mail? I am planning to visit Brisbane in March and hope to visit the local SchH clubs in training. PSD suggest that I contact you if that is okay with you. Thanks.Smile
    Cheers Everyone

"Love Your Dog and You'll Be Loved Unconditionally"

MalsInOz
    Novice

Feb 20, 2004, 12:40 AM

Post #23 of 36 (4561 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [comel23] OB Training for Schutzhund [In reply to] Can't Post

Comel23, Yes by all means contact me at MalsInOz@Puppy.com.my We train Tuesday & Friday nights near Brisbane airport and the Gold Coast club train Saturday & Monday nights at Nerang, about 1 hour drive to the South.

Now, if you happen to be here on the first Saturday of the month we have a combined training night for all three local clubs.

Regards,

Evan

boon
    Doggyman

Feb 20, 2004, 8:29 AM

Post #24 of 36 (4552 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [ALL] OB Training for Schutzhund [In reply to] Can't Post

ok,

OB in SchH generally we're looking for 'precise position', 'immediate action' and everything must be 'SUPER'

MalsInOz
    Novice

Feb 20, 2004, 5:27 PM

Post #25 of 36 (4544 views)
    Shortcut

Don't forget "Solid" Boon!Tongue

Try this little test. Applies equally for any OB training - not just SchH.

1. Give one "Sitz" command - Your dog should now be sitting, right? Wink

2. Stand close to leash length in front of and facing your sitting dog - remember "No more commands!"

3. Slowly, pull dog toward you, gradually increasing pressure just till dog comes out of the sit - remember "No more commands!", at this stage just let the dog come out of the sit if that's what it does, but don't reward or fuss over the dog for leaving the sit.

So, how much pressure did you need for the dog to leave the sit position?Shocked

Let me know how you go.

Regards,

Evan

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
    For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my