Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
In house pup trainin'

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DoggiePuppy

Jan 31, 2004, 3:16 AM

Post #1 of 47 (3657 views)
Shortcut
In house pup trainin' Can't Post

My pup just arrived today after a long time of waiting, I am making it a house dog and I plan to toilet train her. Problem is I don't know how. I can roughly detect when it wanted to do her big business, but her peeing, its rather difficult to detect. I saw those toilet train spray in pet shops, does it work?
------------------------------------------------------------
<-----Looks like a cockroach from this picture!!

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jan 31, 2004, 9:02 PM

Post #2 of 47 (3646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy] In house pup trainin' [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi DoggiePuppy,

Congrats on your new pup....

Do a search on this thread on HouseBreaking, Housetraining and etc... and I'm sure you'll be able to find your answers on how to train your dog. This particular topic has been covered in many areas on all the previous post. Check them out ya ! Good Luck !

cheers,
minglmy

DoggiePuppy

Jan 31, 2004, 9:46 PM

Post #3 of 47 (3644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] In house pup trainin' [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for being patient with my stupid question. I am a new owner and know nothing much bout dogs so I am doing all I can for her. Being a little paranoia actually. I even slept beside her cage yesterday night cause she was crying. So end up I am not getting enough sleep.Tongue

By the way, many who uses the liquid seems to work. Oh, anyone knows how long would it take for the pup to actually recognize when we call her by name? My pup still seem blurry bout it, sometimes she respond but it's most probably cause she thinks I have food for her. And I am so very afraid of over-feeding her. Any tips to feed her right? Thanks again! Sorry for being irritating, I am really very new to this.

DoggiePuppy

Jan 31, 2004, 10:02 PM

Post #4 of 47 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Oh and one more thing. I got her a chewy bone like thingy and a ball today. She likes the bone thingy a lot and I was so shocked, she chewed one part of the bone off already!!! I thought those stuffs are not suppose to be eatable or breakable?? I am not sure cause the plastic that wraps it doesn't have instructions. I am just afraid that she could be swallowing something she shouldn't. But then again, would manufacturers made it in such a way that these doggies eat up these organic stuff and suffer?? I hope its ok for her to chew and swallow some bits. The point is, is it edible actually?

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 31, 2004, 10:36 PM

Post #5 of 47 (3642 views)
Shortcut

hiya

bout the chewy bone thingy, if it's a rawhide bone it's edible - is it brown in color and gets soggy when wet? i think rawhide bones are kinda dangerous for dogs coz when they get wet they tend to get soggy and might even choke the dog..

invest your money on better toys - be it bones or balls... they might cost more expensive, but at least they're safe. Kong toys is one good toy example.. safe and durable

check it out : http://shop.puppy.com.my/products.asp?id=14

one thing to take note, make sure the ball u buy for your puppy is not too small that it might choke her when you're not around.

regards,
hunter

DoggiePuppy

Jan 31, 2004, 11:39 PM

Post #6 of 47 (3641 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] In house pup trainin' [In reply to] Can't Post

Yea...u sound rather close to what I got. Its light brown in colour, i slowly breaks apart as the pup bites and the internal part is kinda like oat. Is it really dangerous? Maybe I should stop letting her have it. I'll check out your suggestion toy. I don't mind buying a more expensive ones, just that I don't know which are best.
I'll see what i get to read from the link you provide! Thanks!

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 1, 2004, 8:38 AM

Post #7 of 47 (3638 views)
Shortcut

dun worry abt asking questions that's part of learning Smile and those questions are not stupid lar...

anyway, one way u can do to help ur pup to adjust is by putting a clock near to her cage when she sleeps. By hearing all the tick-tock sound it will sooths her n makes her thinks that someone or her mum is nearby u see...

For the pup to recognise the name it will take a while lar so be a bit patience and using treats to teach her is a good thing.

Btw, what pup did u have again ?

cheers,
minglmy

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 1, 2004, 8:50 AM

Post #8 of 47 (3636 views)
Shortcut

there are many type of rawhide bones out there, some have knots in the end..some are hard pieces shaped like a bone.. some are even in bright colors :/....

if it's the oat type i think it should be quite safe - it's more like a treat rather than a rawhide bone, compared with the type i was talking about earlier.. which is those that really gets small and soggy and then turn white after sometime in the dog's mouth. my dog gets dirty too after having a wild time with it.

i guess the best way is to use your best judgement to determine which toy is safe and which is not.

ps : how long did the oat bone lasted ? my dog's bone lasted for only 1/2 hour last time. definitely not worth the 8 bucks :(

DoggiePuppy

Feb 1, 2004, 5:55 PM

Post #9 of 47 (3631 views)
Shortcut

Hey thanks for prompt replies!
Ming:

Its a mixed breed and very beautiful. Mixed of two spaniels, English Cocker Spaniel and Brittany Spaniel. I can roughly describe it as medium fur, it is white with brown patches. Still a pup so its hard to judge how it'll look when it grows up. I will upload the photo soon. Too bad this place doesn't have file sharing otherwise I can even post up videos of her clumsy running and biting some stuffy. Thanks for the suggestion too. I'll try to go find a clock, loud enough to let her hear. Hope it works though, I've been having sleepless night already lately. I still can't toilet train her at all, yea its only 3 days she's been with me but she seemed to not understand the toilet thingy. I bought the housebreaking liquid, she don't respond to it, instead she licks it but when she wanna do her business, she'll rather do it elsewhere. I really don't know what else to do for now. I've read threads in here but their method don't really seem to work for me now. Is it because she's still too young or what? She's two months plus old. What treats are really tasty, I don't mind the prize as before I have her I already ready myself to invest the best for her. Just that I don't know what is good for her. So maybe experience owner like you and others can recommend some really good treats for me, I mean my pup..haha! When I bought the cage, the pet shop owner gave me something named `Beggin strips- bacon'. It really has a strong aroma. Is that good?

Hunter:

Hey thanks for inputs!!! I am so glad I get plenty of support here otherwise I will really freak out. You know, me pup (Name Zoe pronounced as `Zo-yee') sometimes have the jerking like as if she's having hiccups. But a tucking sound comes out from her stomach. It won't last for long maybe a minute or two then it'll disappear. Any idea what is that all about? I am kinda worried cause everytime that happens, I thought she ate something wrong. Do you housebreak your dogs? If yes, how long does it take for them to learn? I read and it says it should take around one month or so. I don't know how long Zoe's gonna take to learn. Thanks for the boney informationWink, yea its kinda like the oat type. Oh mine last much longer, the remainings now is still about 2/5 of the original size. I don't let her have it all the time, she usually chew it only when ppl is around with her, she don't like to play alone. Weird!!! She's like very dependable to human!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 1, 2004, 8:48 PM

Post #10 of 47 (3627 views)
Shortcut

hi

yea she is having hiccups. common among puppies but they'll definitely outgrow it next time. so don't have to worry about it. some says it's because the puppies ate too fast and gobble in some air in their belly and they're just letting it out thru hiccups.

i think my dog's housbreakin' process took somewhat 1 month or so... can't really recall. it's not necessarily 1 month, might be shorter/longer, depending on how well u communicate with zoe. so be patient! it's certainly not an easy process :)

ps : my dog is very dependable to us also. only play toys/chew bones if we're around :/ if he's alone he'd just sleep.

DoggiePuppy

Feb 1, 2004, 10:30 PM

Post #11 of 47 (3626 views)
Shortcut

Hunter:

Hey, your doggie sounds cute too!! Its really sweet to see them so dependable sometimes, but has its drawbacks, lets say if we go for vacation, leave to others to take care, they might not eat then its a problem!!

I guess I had to be patient with Zoe, I am expecting her to learn too many things at one time, sit, fetch, hand, so I am cutting down one by one cause I think she's getting confused now. Housebreaking, she's learning to go to room now to do her business, but still unpredictable area, hope she'll get it soon!

Oh Hunter, how can be sure that I am giving her the right amount of food? I am scared I gave her too much or too little.

Hahah...and I just bath her yesterday really having a hard time cause she shivering so badly like a vibrator. So I am so worried about why she's shivering so I didn't even clean her very thoroughly. I hope next week she'll do better when cleaned!!!Crazy

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 2, 2004, 12:07 AM

Post #12 of 47 (3624 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Looks like you are getting lots of good advice ... Smile ...

Have only one suggestion to make ... get yourself a good puppy or dog manual ... it will be invaluable ... for sure!!!

You can find them in any of the bigger bookshops ... the MPH in Midvalley has a good sellection ...

Almost any good dog manual will give you plenty of practical advice on (A) Housetraining & basic training ... (B) how & what to feed, including what kind of treats are good, and which are bad ... (C) How to bathe and keep your dog's eyes & ears clean ... (D) Vaccinations, deworming & other medical issues ... (E) What to expect from a pup ... and how to care for your four legged friend ...

In the meantime ... go with treats manufactured by the better known companies... avoid treats with strong or heavy colouring or flavours (these are usually artificially created and not so healthy) ... If you doggie shivers during a bath, then use warm water ...

Cheers Smile

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 2, 2004, 12:18 AM

Post #13 of 47 (3622 views)
Shortcut

well for a 2 months old pups she is still very young... it took me a long time to train mocha (my 1st girl) to pee - hold till the special timing where she is supposed to do her biz outside at the garden.

anyway, what I think u shd do is give her loads of patience. Like Surchinmy says... get a good book on dogs and learn from there.

Btw, mocha took nearly 6 months before she can manage to do everything correctly and it really took lots of patience. Being a puppy normally they would go to pee n poo abt every 2 hrs (can't hold yet) and when they reached abt 4 months it gets more stable and they will learn to do it at the proper time.

Remember to take ur pup out to pee & poo before and after meal, before she goes to bed at nite and etc.... keep it consistent with ur timing.

Good Luck and keep us updated ya !

cheers,
minglmy

DoggiePuppy

Feb 2, 2004, 2:03 AM

Post #14 of 47 (3620 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the suggestion! I already plan to get a manual, just haven't find the time to cause I just got back from overseas and has just collected Zoe 3days ago. It was a friday when I took her home and I myself am physically very tired to go out anymore because my vacation was super tiring. Too many travelling in one country itself! I will get a book as I already check out the thread someone recommended a good book.

Well I actually used luke warm water to bath her, but I think she's scared in some ways too. Just me guessing, I don't know if they shiver when they're scared. I sat in the bathroom with her and let her sit on my lap to bath her and gotta hold her cause she was so afraid. Instead of only she getting a shower, I myself gotta shower already. Laugh

But I guess its all worth it, bout 10 minutes later when she dry up and so and I cool her down she seems hyperactive and very playful, so I guess the getting wet part really worth it!!

Hey, good news! In short three days time I already able to manage to get her to poo in the room where her cage is on newspaper, i put newspaper everywhere. I wanna go step by step, at least now she pee and poo in there instead of in the living room! I guess its gonna be good soon!!

Thanks ya'll for being patient with a new pup owner like me! I used to have cats, so this is a totally different thing.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 2, 2004, 2:57 AM

Post #15 of 47 (3618 views)
Shortcut

hiya,

Good to know that ur pup - zoe is learning fast.... well as for the shivering part during bath it cud juz be coz she is wet n a lil bit cold.

bet ur enjoy the time with her in the bathroom huh... enjoy ya ! Wink

cheers,
minglmy

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 2, 2004, 8:25 PM

Post #16 of 47 (3606 views)
Shortcut

hi

hey congrats on having zoe do her business at a fixed place :D now this is going pretty fast :D

anyway, as for teachin' her too many things, i personally think it's wiser to break the training down into pieces rather than one shot together. how old is zoe now?

assuming she's a young puppy, now is the crucial time to teach her all the commands you wish her to learn because young puppies absorb FAST so it'll be easier to teach her useful commands now rather than in future. Important commands which is useful : Sit, Down, Stay (this is important to keep her from danger), Come.

for food it depends on your dog's weight so it's kinda hard to say. puppies normally get 2 or 3 meals a day.

mmmm like others i think she's just cold. bathe her with warm water!

regards,
hunter

DoggiePuppy

Feb 2, 2004, 11:00 PM

Post #17 of 47 (3604 views)
Shortcut

Thanks hunter,

I brought her to vet today Frown sad news vet say got a lot of ear wax and she got slight skin infection, she told me to see her under ear skin which is a little rough so she told me a healthy skin condition is suppose to be smooth. She prescribe some medication for her skin. Zoe got lots of dandruffs too. She just got vaccinated so she can't bath for a week. I just hope she'll recover from this skin thing and all.

I don't know what to expect cause nvr took care of doggie ma, so I am a little worried bout how serious this condition is actually. I have to bring her back 3 weeks later. I think this is all partly due to the irresponsible breeder, just cuz she's selling it off I dun think she really take great care of her. But what I can do now is to only take care of her till I hear from the vet that Zoe's perfectly healthy already.

Thanks for the food input, I already ask the vet and she gave me some guidelines already.

Zoe is very young still, her birthday is 15th of November so by now she's about 2 months plus. Very happy to see her obedient at such a fast rate, I only am with her for four days now. She don't go upstairs cause since day one I tell her no, and she don't go outside car porch even if the door is open.

Sorry for posting these here, I know its a little irrelevant to the main topic but I need prompt reply and I post doggie's health in health topic and it takes really a long time for reply.

I hope the skin infection and ear wax thing is small problem. She has a strong odour now cause of the ear wax. Poor thing, keep scratching every minute cause her skin itchy!! I feel so helpless!! Pirate

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 2, 2004, 11:38 PM

Post #18 of 47 (3603 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Did the vet prescribe any medication for the ear wax ? Mocha last time had a slight ear infection (due to the mummy's fault lar) and I buy one of the ear medication for her thru a petshop and got it fixed.

As for the skin problem actually is pretty normal for dogs to have some skin problem - you just need to know what she is allergic to like for eg : mocha is allergic to eating food with beef contents. I avoid giving it to her and it helps in detering all the problems cropping up.

Hope this helps...

cheers,
minglmy

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 3, 2004, 12:13 AM

Post #19 of 47 (3600 views)
Shortcut

hi

for skin infection it's quite common among dogs. but it's not to be taken lightly, because if not cured early the skin infection will quickly spread to the dog's whole body.

anyway, there's a handsful of different skin infections out there, some are merely reaction to allergies, some are from various other reasons - some even unknown :/

mm i can't help much with these, but if u were to bathe her later, perhaps u could try to look for a shampoo called Malaseb... it's for dogs with skin problems. my dog used it couple of weeks when he got skin infection last time and it worked well :)

ear wax prob is also common and it's good u know about it early before the situation gets worst. don't worry about it so much. give medications and if it's still the same perhaps u should consult other vet's advice

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 3, 2004, 12:27 AM

Post #20 of 47 (3597 views)
Shortcut

hiya leng lui

isn't malaseb a lil bit too strong for the lil fella ? she is still a pup wor.... (never use malaseb before)

I'm now using episooth's and its seems good for mocha as its milder compare to malaseb.

cheers,
minglmy

DoggiePuppy

Feb 3, 2004, 3:55 AM

Post #21 of 47 (3593 views)
Shortcut

Wow this site is so resourceful!! Thanks first!

I'll keep in my list the name Malaseb and Episooth!!! It really helps a lot Minglmy, cause it at least comforts me that its going to be ok!

She's still a happy puppy! Yea the vet gave me Epi-otic which I am suppose to put a few drops in the ear, massage there and use a cotton wool to remove the wax that is visible. After clearing she gave otomax to put. She ask to do this daily until its clear, Zoe will get checked again in 3 weeks time.I hope I hear more good news! Vet say she can give Zoe a jap for the skin condition but not today cause she received her vaccination today and the vet said it may contradict with it so its not good.

Hmmm....I gotta feed her medicine too, one morning one nite, morning wan is vitamin while nite wan I don't know wat. Hope Zoe will be fine!!!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 3, 2004, 9:12 AM

Post #22 of 47 (3588 views)
Shortcut

hi

is malaseb strong??? i didnt know :o thought it was like mild medication in shampoo.

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 3, 2004, 7:03 PM

Post #23 of 47 (3584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy, DoggiePuppy] In house pup trainin' [In reply to] Can't Post

Malaseb is not STRONG ... just that it is for dogs with skin problems. My Bean has been taking Sebazole since 3+ months old. As long as it's treating for certain purpose, and could see improvements on skin/coat, then should be OK. Once the dog's skin is back to normal, then can switch back to those normal/common dog shampoo.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 4, 2004, 3:05 AM

Post #24 of 47 (3573 views)
Shortcut

with an owner who is soooo caring I'm sure Zoe will be fine. Keep up the good work ya !

cheers,
minglmy

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 4, 2004, 3:06 AM

Post #25 of 47 (3572 views)
Shortcut

hmmm....dunno ler i heard someone told me before is a lil stronger than some others. Never tried Malaseb before so no comments on that but juz wanna find out if its suitable for puppies or not mar.

cheers,
minglmy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my