Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Is my dog Deadly sick?

prettycuter
Novice

Jan 29, 2002, 9:55 AM

Post #1 of 15 (4285 views)
Shortcut
Is my dog Deadly sick? Can't Post

Hi there!I recently got a 6 months puppy from my auntie.It's a mixed of a GSD and another small dog.The thing here is that, it's my first time adopting a puppy and i dunno what should i do!I bath my pup once a week using the antiticks shampoo and i still found pup scratching andbiting his own skin,why is that?Then he doesn't have a good appetite.He seldom eat his dog food.I bought him a Pedigree "Chicken with Liver".He just ignore his food.I fed him everyday twice but he hardly eats.WHY was that?Then if i fed him cooked rice and pork....oh god...he even licks his food bowl for good: ) what should i do?For the dog food(the Pedigree)should i mixed it with a little of water so it's softer for my pup to eat?Is chicken good for him?He lost quite a jumble of hairs.Anyone can give me a good advice?I knew bringing my pup to the vet can cost me to hell so i really hope if there's anyone out there could advice me freely...please....my pup name BILLY.......heheh

geraldine@prettycuter
---prettycuter---

jason
Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2002, 5:48 PM

Post #2 of 15 (4279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prettycuter] Is my dog Deadly sick? [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to the forum!

I do not recommend you feed your dog with Pedigree. I tried that before and found that it will cause hair lost. Try another better choice of pet food, I am sure you can find them a lot in the pet shop. Also, try to mix some water to the kibble to ease the digestion. Good luck.

Regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Khoobg
Webmaster

Jan 29, 2002, 7:13 PM

Post #3 of 15 (4274 views)
Shortcut

He lost quite a jumble of hairs.

Since he is not eating much, it is very like that he has not got enough nutrient into his system and hence the hair loss.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

prettycuter
Novice

Jan 30, 2002, 6:31 AM

Post #4 of 15 (4265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Is my dog Deadly sick? [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings to all,

thanks Jason for your advice on not to feed Pedigree.besides pedigree,what do you think it's a perfect brand for my doggie?shall i buy lamb instead of chicken?and is it ok to feed him rice?

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Jan 30, 2002, 8:53 AM

Post #5 of 15 (4261 views)
Shortcut

Prettycuter, it depends on what your budget is...the dog food you find at pet shops like eukanaba, royal canine, science diet, etc. are better brands but a bit more expensive..pedigree pal can be comparable to buying cheap biscuit...lot of floor no taste.. more expensive food is like expensive biscuit..taste nicer and better..Smile

It is okay to feed your dog rice...in fact rice has the most nutrients...you can do more research on this on the internet..Derrick has posted his receipe for feeding his dogs and so have I on the forum..

Please read up Dog and Puppy Health : Nutrition and Diet...the threads Extracts from the Net on dog food & its nutritional Value and Dog Receipes

jason
Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2002, 9:24 AM

Post #6 of 15 (4260 views)
Shortcut

I think Rainbow has answered your questions ... !

Lamb and rice are for those puppies that have sensitive skin, if yours is ok with chicken, then go ahead. For me, I feed my dogs with US GRAIN REGAL - turkey and rice. I am not sure whether KL can get this brand or not, but Science Diet and Eukanuba are ok too Wink.

Regards

prettycuter
Novice

Feb 2, 2002, 9:31 PM

Post #7 of 15 (4250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Is my dog Deadly sick? [In reply to] Can't Post

Plz tell me what's happening to my pup.I found his back hair is lossing.It's going to be bald.Is there anything wrong with him?I'm scared if he suffer from terrible skin disease!!Only his back hair is losing..the front hair is still like usual.I need advice ungert,y....plz...

prettycuter
---prettycuter---

jason
Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2002, 9:49 PM

Post #8 of 15 (4249 views)
Shortcut

There are many reasons of hair losing. Please take some time to read through some of the posts in this forum and I am sure these has been discussed.

Anyway, it might be due to lack in nutrition and have you changed the food already? If then, it will take some time for your dog to recover, don't worry and good luck!Smile

Regards

Pat

Feb 2, 2002, 10:05 PM

Post #9 of 15 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

Putting food allergies aside. Your dog could be suffering from skin disease. Please read the posting on itchiness for details. See the vet to avoid aggravation.

REgards,

Patricia
Pat, David
parents to Kiki-nicole choa

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 5, 2002, 2:17 AM

Post #10 of 15 (4235 views)
Shortcut

I think you are that person who posted this "Is my puppy deadly sick?"
I do sympathise and share your anxiety towards the welfare of your puppy.
There is one thing you must learn first and that is your puppy is a living animal. With living creatures, each and everyone is an individualist. They are not like something you could put right like setting up a hi-fi compo set by following the instruction book.
When you said that your Billy is losing a lot of hair from his back. The word a lot is very subjective. A lot to you may be normal to me.
Since you love your Billy so much, I tell you what I will do for you. In order to ease your present frame of mind, you bring your Billy over to me, we take him to my Vet which is near by. He is good and experience, the clinic is called "Animal Medical Centre" located in Subang Jaya. I will tell the Vet to give Billy a thorough examination from head to tail and I SHALL PAY THE BILL FOR YOU. After that you bring Billy home and feed him accordingly and hope this will solve your problem.
This is as best as I could do for you.
Regards.
DerrickKok

prettycuter
Novice

Feb 5, 2002, 6:25 AM

Post #11 of 15 (4231 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Is my dog Deadly sick? [In reply to] Can't Post

HI Deric,

I'm so appeciate for what'd been said by you."Settling my bill for me".Thanks for adcvance but can you tell me how much will the check normally be charged?I think if i'm going to bring Billy to the vet it may cost a bit high cause this may be my first time i'm bringing Billy over for check up.I'm sure my aunt have brought him to the vet once but i'm not sure about his condition on the past.Anyway,plz tell me the charges and how can i contact you?And plz tell me....why aren't you bother of paying the bill for me?

Me and Billy thanks you in advance....

Thank YOU!!!

May
Old Hand

Feb 5, 2002, 5:45 PM

Post #12 of 15 (4230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Is my dog Deadly sick? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow!!! Derrick you are so nice and helpful..... I plan to send my pup for spaying, can get discount ah??? (Just joking). Anyway, my pup will receive her second vaccination next week (after CNY). On my first visit, the vet told me she can be spayed after the second vaccination. Is it ok or do I have to wait until she finish her third vaccination?

As for your problem Prettycuter, I think your pup is having the same problem as mine. Is so hard for me to feed her with kibble and I did try to feed her rice for two days. At first she loves it but after that, she's not interested anymore. I noticed that she wanted attention i.e. praise her good girl and sit by her side when she eat. Sometimes, she didn't finish the kibble and I'll give her one biscuit/ treat just to make sure she's full.

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 5, 2002, 7:17 PM

Post #13 of 15 (4224 views)
Shortcut

The reason I am footing your Billy's medical check up bill is because you were so pathetique- Just sounded like Tchaikovsky's Symphony No.6-.
A general medical check up will cost about RM40 to RM50 excluding medication. Dr.Nathan from Animal Medical Centre is my family doctor, retained by me to look after the general welfare and health of my Dals. He will most probably charge RM 20 or slightly more but should not be more than RM40.
Send me a pvt e-mail if you want to take up my offer.
Regards.

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 5, 2002, 7:42 PM

Post #14 of 15 (4221 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Is my dog Deadly sick? [In reply to] Can't Post

Please memorise this by heart, and you will never go wrong.
Administration of medicine to a dog/animal is by body weight.
Surgery is by age.
Got it?
If your vet told you that your puppy could be spayed after the second vaccination, I have no comment on this statement let alone have much respect for this type of Vets.
Rule of the thumb for 1st, 2nd, & final vaccination for puppies are at 7weeks, 11-12weeks and 16-18weeks. Best time to neuter or spay a dog/bitch is when he/she is 6-7 months old. From the above recommendations you could now return to the vet and question his wisdom.
If you want a sincere and honest opinion, I would suggest that you wait 3-4 weeks after the final jab, then send her in to spay.
Regards.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Feb 5, 2002, 9:19 PM

Post #15 of 15 (4216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Is my dog Deadly sick? [In reply to] Can't Post

MAY!!! Actually, you shouldn't sit with her and praise her and hand feed her..she's trained you to feed her already...so she's developed a habit to expect you to be there if you not there, she won't eat...I don't know how you can correct this so maybe you could read up on the internet or someone would provide you a solution...just know you aren't supposed to do it..

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my