First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Mar 10, 2004, 5:30 AM

Post #26 of 37 (1251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] To Heel or Not to Heel [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear all is well Smile

A little note though..try not to walk your pup too soon after his meal.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 10, 2004, 6:30 PM

Post #27 of 37 (1248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] To Heel or Not to Heel [In reply to] Can't Post

...anyway i was silly enough to go for "over", which is a 2 syllables word and hence not so effective

Hunter,

You can still change to the one syllable easily. Just go back few steps on the training ladder and teach the new cue word. If u think this can help u improve the performance then just do it. Anyway, personally, I think Over is ok even with the 2 syllable as the command cue is to instruct the dog to jump over an obstacle which the action itself takes a bit of time to do. So I think 'Over" should be ok. Anyway my preference id "HOP" as I find this phonethical sound very empowering for the dog. "Over" in my opinion sounded commanding and overpowering to the dog......I hope u can understand what i'm trying to say here.Smile

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 10, 2004, 6:46 PM

Post #28 of 37 (1248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter, sweesan] To Heel or Not to Heel [In reply to] Can't Post

"heel" is a command we use to ask our dog to walk right beside us while we're walking. hence the exercise we do in obedience trials is called "heelwork exercise" - dog walks nicely by side of owner = good heelwork. so you say "heel!" and off u + ur dog goes.

Hunter,

Hope u dont mind me sharing some differing info. In fact I found that many have mistakenly thought the dog heeling means walking beside. These resulted in the dog heel sometimes ahead, sometimes lag, sometimes crowd n sometimes too far. It is not the dogs mistake cause the dog learns that heel means walking.

I would look at heeling as active positioning instead. Heel means to keep to the side of me in a correct position at all times regardless of me stationary or moving. The position must always be the perfect place, perfect distance from my legs and perfect attention. So the heel command should mean to your dog actively positioning himself until his position is perfect.

Hope this can help u win some extra points in the OB.Smile

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

comel23
Novice

Mar 10, 2004, 8:09 PM

Post #29 of 37 (1238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] To Heel or Not to Heel [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everyone

Just want to add on the "heel" command discussion. Basically, it really depends what you want from the dog. There are two commands that I usually do for my dogs. The command "heel" is a formal command, and will only focus on you and walking next to you, closely and nicely. Another one is the informal command which I call "walking exercise" - this is the foundation for all other training commands as dog begins to learn not to pull, and not to walk away from owner not more than 4-5 feet. This also teaches the dog to learn to focus on you all the time within that perimeter as you may want to turn right, left, or circle. It also allows the dog to enjoy the walk, sniff about, and do whatever it wants as long as it does not pull beyond the 4-5 feet. You can chit chat and they can play with other dogs, sit or stand but must be within that 4-5 feet. The dog does not need to walk on your left like the formal "heel" command. For this walking exercise, I use the word "let's go", and dog will learn to stop as you stop and move as you move. Hope this makes sense.Sly My dogs has been trained to "heel" and knows when they can tango with the "let's go"Wink.
Cheers Everyone

"Love Your Dog and You'll Be Loved Unconditionally"

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 10, 2004, 8:21 PM

Post #30 of 37 (1237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [comel23] To Heel or Not to Heel [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Comel,

My earlier post to Hunter was on competitive Obedience since she is into trialing. Otherwise, wat u say is true for normal pet obedience.Smile

PSD

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 11, 2004, 9:11 AM

Post #31 of 37 (1233 views)
Shortcut

hi psd!

thanks for the valuable input :) i suppose it's indeed right to say that heeling means more like having the dog position himself at the correct place...

but sometimes it's hard to get them at exactly the right position... for my case, that is :/ and you are right, as my dog learns that heel means walk, he does walk by my side, but not at the exact position i want him to be at - might be a little front, might be lagging..just... not perfect, if you get what i mean.

he will only readjust himself to the right position if i give him a separate command ("closer" to come closer to me, "back" to stand back a little) and this of course pose as a major problem as i move on to higher levels since i would prefer him to be at exactly the right spot without having me to constantly remind him.

since this is my first dog and first training process i did not manage to condition him well for training last time. hence the errors here and there now :/

yes i did noticed that most trialers prefer using the command HOP over other words. when asked the reason they'd normally say is because it's one syllable and the dogs will grasp the command easier. i don't understand though in your previous post that you mentioned HOP sounds more empowering to the dog... does it really make a difference :o ?

regards,
hunter

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 11, 2004, 8:40 PM

Post #32 of 37 (1228 views)
Shortcut

Hunter,

I'm happy that you understand what I'm saying here. To ensure I dont miss any valuable points I will try to reply u in point forms based on your comments as follows.

but sometimes it's hard to get them at exactly the right position... for my case, that is :/ and you are right, as my dog learns that heel means walk, he does walk by my side, but not at the exact position i want him to be at - might be a little front, might be lagging..just... not perfect, if you get what i mean.

Yeah I got what u mean.Smile Dont feel bad, you are not alone here. I had seen OB trials all around Malaysia n I have seen group training sessions and everyone is taking to the meaning that heel is walking except only 2 regular competitor is teaching heel means keep at the side of my left leg wherever they are.

he will only readjust himself to the right position if i give him a separate command ("closer" to come closer to me, "back" to stand back a little) and this of course pose as a major problem as i move on to higher levels since i would prefer him to be at exactly the right spot without having me to constantly remind him.

close or closer command to readjust is good for short term training purpose but if u use it on long term then u will have trouble when he looks up to you for seperate command at all times. U obviously cannot do this in trial. I am a believer of using only 1 command and only one time at all time. sub command like closer is used as a stern warning on very rare occassion. Use it too much then it become another command instead of warning and will lose its purpose.

since this is my first dog and first training process i did not manage to condition him well for training last time. hence the errors here and there now :/

You didnt do too bad with your first dog thereSmile. With every dog we will improve. Every each dog are our great masters teaching us the fine arts of how dog training is. Each of them are very different indeed. But all of them will benefit from the right sets of foundation work. U are very right that if we speed them through training withhout a strong foundation work all those loose steps will start to fall apart once we get higher. Although we can do retraining, it always takes longer time to correct a faulty behaviour. Therefore it pays to go slow in the foundation work until they become very solid before moving on. Having say tht, most people are sprinters and want their dog to do super OB at the shortest possible time, this is just human nature.

You can try to go back to basic again and retrain the methods motivationally. Use food or use toys whatever the dog likes best n make it fun. Forget the correction of choke pop for now, it will only make the attitude worse and I believe that the dog have gone though correction already by now in every training session. The idea is not to associate training with correction but rather associate them with fun time for him(must be for him). It takes time but will surely show a big change.

Alternatively u can just try to train the heel from the very basic again with a diff command n this time teach the heel as continuous positioning rather than a single action. BTW do u MSN? it will be easier to explain.

yes i did noticed that most trialers prefer using the command HOP over other words. when asked the reason they'd normally say is because it's one syllable and the dogs will grasp the command easier. i don't understand though in your previous post that you mentioned HOP sounds more empowering to the dog... does it really make a difference :o ?

Diff trainers have diff preference. If you deepen the understanding into dog behavoral u will find that certain phoenetical sounds uplift the dog and certain ones will scare the dog or suppress it and some phonetical sound will calm the dog. A good trainer will know how to use those to elicit the best from the dog. Dog dont understand the spoken language as it is they only know the cue work for specific behaviour. However the sound of our pronounciation makes it all the diff.

By empowering I meant a sound that can make the dog more energetic. For instance "COME" and "HEERE" which is more energetic n empowering? another one is "TAKE" and BRRIIINGGG"

As a guidance a low toned loud word is commanding or suppressve to the dog while high pitched tone in happy voice is energising. U can notice that this is a very natural instinct if u observe a litter of puppies with their mother. When the mother dissaprove anything, they will give a low toned loud GGRRR n when the dogs want to play with each other they give a high pitched yip! yipp!!

So come back to your question of "OVER" and "HOP" or "HUP" which word can be spoken in low tone and which word can be spoken on a high piched tone?Smile

Hope this helps.

PSD

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 16, 2004, 7:07 AM

Post #33 of 37 (1211 views)
Shortcut

hi psd :)

sorry for my late reply, i was busy over the week.

I am a believer of using only 1 command and only one time at all time. sub command like closer is used as a stern warning on very rare occassion. Use it too much then it become another command instead of warning and will lose its purpose.

yea it's certainly better stickin' with one command (or even better, no commands at all, just signal) but somehow unlearning stuffs is ten times more harder than learning it :/ think i better cut down on the sub commands... hopefully it'd fix the situation, eh?

Having say tht, most people are sprinters and want their dog to do super OB at the shortest possible time, this is just human nature.

amen to that!

You can try to go back to basic again and retrain the methods motivationally.

yea now i've been going back to basic heeling on leash with my dog. doing food training with him for now.

BTW do u MSN? it will be easier to explain.

yea, it's luckyhammie1@hotmail.com :)

So come back to your question of "OVER" and "HOP" or "HUP" which word can be spoken in low tone and which word can be spoken on a high piched tone?

aah. now i get it. and i finally know why u choose HOP as a command! thanks for the input...

boon
Doggyman

Mar 16, 2004, 6:04 PM

Post #34 of 37 (1209 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
yea it's certainly better stickin' with one command (or even better, no commands at all, just signal) but somehow unlearning stuffs is ten times more harder than learning it :/ think i better cut down on the sub commands... hopefully it'd fix the situation, eh?

if u can't undo, then train the same behavior using alter set of commands wll be the better alternative.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 16, 2004, 6:57 PM

Post #35 of 37 (1209 views)
Shortcut

Hunter,

I would suggest u start a gameplan for your dog. For now it has to be realistic and by realistic I meant something like 2-3 month of nothing but work the heeling from the very basic again with food and toy whatever works best for him at least 2 very short sessions(3-5 mins) a day whenever u can. Do not use any command at all for this foundation building. Bring the dog into correct position and reward immediately. Remember no command until the dog already gives u 8 out of 10 consistent positioning then only u start to command the action.

The theory is teach positioning with motivational items for the dog then when consistency of positioning is achieved then add the command cue. This will seal in the right action for the right command. If u intro the command too early when the dog still do not give u consistent positioning then u risk teaching the dog wrong positions on that command. This is same with all other commands. Rule of thumb is consistency before any command cue.

I assume u currently use "Heel" and since heel has already got some faulty foundation for your dog (confusion n inconsistency) it makes sense to change the command to something else like "Close" "Foot" "side" etc whatever u like but introduce the command cue only after the above.

Actually the use of signal is like the use of food in the begining phase which is necessary to put the dog into placing. However like a command, u need to wean them off soon or the dog will be so dependent on your signal that he will expect it even when u cannot give it to him like in a trial. So a very obvious signal gets less and less exgerrated and more subtle should be your aim. Eventually, something like a small twitch of your shoulder will mean something to the dog. These needs some practise n experience to do but when u know how to make use of it then you will have a very clear advantage in the trialSmile

Happy playingSmile

P/S. U can also catch me at MSN under but I have to solve some gremlins problem on my PC. They are wrecking problems for me these few days.Tongue

PSD

(This post was edited by PSD on Mar 16, 2004, 7:06 PM)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 21, 2004, 9:58 AM

Post #36 of 37 (1200 views)
Shortcut

hi

was hoping to catch u on MSN the past few days, but i suppose the PC problem of yours is not resolved yet, eh? :p

yes, point taken. guess i'll really have to start work with him now or i'll really go nowhere with him. will try to slowly introduce new commands to him maybe. let's just see how things will work :/

thanks for the valuable input, truly appreciated!

regards,
Hunter

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 24, 2004, 11:06 AM

Post #37 of 37 (1192 views)
Shortcut

Hunter,

Yeah i had noticed u had added me onto your list. I'm actually quite tied up these few days on business travels...and yes the gremlins still there...sorry for that. Smile

Remember this word "nothing is ever too late" u just need to remain focus in setting your targets. Rome was not built in a day.....Smile i'm sure will be able to catch you one of these days ...or perhaps u catching me instead....lolLaughLaughLaugh

PSD

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my