Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Lazy when doing her pee & poo

kitten
Dog Kichi

Jan 29, 2004, 10:02 PM

Post #1 of 8 (1177 views)
Shortcut
Lazy when doing her pee & poo Can't Post

Hi all, I trained her to potty on newspaper but she is getting very lazy. Now, she does it at the very edge so her pee is half on the newspaper and half on the floor so I got her a large rubber thin tray with slightly raised edge and put the newspaper in and after a while, she learns she can still be lazy. Shocked So now, her pee gets on the newspaper, underneath the newspaper and on the floor and it spreads all over. When you look at her masterpiece, it's clean newspaper with 1 corner patch wet, plus matching wet patch on the floor and the bottom layers of newspaper on the floor thoroughly soaked. Crazy Stinks to high heavens when I lift the newspaper/tray up to clean. Cleaning up after her now takes ages everyday.

She knows she is being lazy, when I show her her handiwork and grumble at her, she'll do it properly a few times, then she becomes lazy again. When she does it properly, I'll praise her.

I see her sometimes ....slumber only...Angelic walk to the newspaper, one leg in and she starts. If she realize I'm watching, then she'll freeze, scoot into the newspaper and do it properly. Crazy Sly

any tips/suggestions on how to encourage her to do it properly or other alternatives? Angelic

Laura & Babe

jaytan
Canine Addict

Jan 29, 2004, 10:22 PM

Post #2 of 8 (1176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitten] Lazy when doing her pee & poo [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Laura, sounds like the story of my life too, hahaha. I am as eager to hear the tips. Best regards,J

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 30, 2004, 1:02 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1172 views)
Shortcut

erm.....
no choice,
u hav to CARRY her to the center of the papers and let her pee there. Insist her to do it that way evertime u are available to "guide" her.
Sooner or later,
hope she'll get frustrated for being "carried" by u everytime she wanna pee.

It's just the matter of HABIT.
keep guiding her and right way u want her to follow,
then before she really REALISE the correct way,
she would at least "get used to" the way.

if yours is still a puppy,
then u may try to get her the play-pen (things like mobile-fencing for the pups).
then hav loads of papers inside the play-pen,
and put her into the area whenever she wanna pee.
by this way, no matter how she pee, it has to be on papers!

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

melissa
ALPHA

Jan 30, 2004, 3:00 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1167 views)
Shortcut

Hi Kitten

When my ECS, gigi was still a pup, she will pee on the newspaper but after she grows older (she's already 4 years plus now), she doesn't want to pees on the newspaper but pees exactly what your furkid is doing.

I noticed her so many times and I realise that she has a reason to do so because she doesn't want the urine to wet her legs. Her pee is quite heavy each time and the newspaper couldn't absorb all in such a short time. She will start scoot with the front dogs on the newspaper and lets the urine flows underneath the newspaper so she could keep her legs dry.

Can you pls find out if your furkid wet her legs if she pees on the newspaper? If yes, she might having the same 'thinking' as my gigi Crazy.

Click here to join Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

My three furkids ^_^ Gigi, Cherry & Belle ^_^

kitten
Dog Kichi

Jan 30, 2004, 6:42 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Lazy when doing her pee & poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi , melissa,

I'm pretty sure she knows the right way, just for some reason does it at the edge now. she is now 5 + yrs old. I've been doing something like what you suggested, , interrupted her when she does it wrong. Nowadays, she knows I'm watching, she waits til I'm off to work or when I'm distracted, otherwise if I see her doing it, she'll scoot in and do it the proper way. Angelic

I reprimanded her 2 days back So now she's doing it proper. Yesterday did her business right in the middle of the paper. Came back from work, praised her and gave her a treat.

Melissa, your explanation is very interesting. Shocked Nvr thought of it that way. Though, she has nvr wet her paws as far as I remember. she is quite cute when she does it. One of the hind legs lift slightly and she'll angle sideways and scoot forward a bit. Quite ingenious Cool hmmm...I dunno how she can keep her balance. Maybe that's why she does it at the edge...:) too mah fan to do it the proper way. Laugh poor kid, can sympathize with her then. but doesn't solve the problem leh...Crazy must think of a win win situation way for her and me.

Laura & Babe

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 2, 2004, 12:30 AM

Post #6 of 8 (1153 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Agree with Melissa ... some dogs prefer not to step on wet newspaper when eliminating and will as the newspaper gets wet or dirty - move to the edges ... Well behaved dogs will not purposely step into their own elimination. And forcing a dog to do that is counter-training and possibly replacing a good instinct with a bad habit ...

The idea of newspaper training is not to continually be using newspaper ... which gets wet and smelly ... but as a method for training a dog to eliminate where you decide (where the paper is placed) ... Once a dog is used to eliminating on paper, the paper is move to the permanent toileting area - and the size of the newspaper is reduced, and finally ... the dog emiminates at the toilet area (which is presumably easy to flush, clean, mop etc etc) and newspaper is no longer required ...

I am not sure whether your dog knows its lazy ... rather I think your dog is responding to your reprimand and possibly being forced to do what it rather not do ... which is step into its own wet pee ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 2, 2004, 12:32 AM)

kitten
Dog Kichi

Feb 10, 2004, 8:24 PM

Post #7 of 8 (1135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Lazy when doing her pee & poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi surchinmy and everyone,

Thanks for the advice. Babe and I got ourselves a compromise. Smile I have a large black tray with slightly raised edge. I put the newspaper to one side so the other side just the rubber tray. So she can do it at the edge of the newspaper and let her pee seep under the newspaper but still stay in the tray. So I can just wash the tray. So my mom doesn't scream. I wanted to let her do it in the shower area and rinse it. My mom won't allow it. So it is still newspaper for her at the outside balcony until I can afford to move out.

Regards,

Laura & Babe

Laura & Babe

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 10, 2004, 9:28 PM

Post #8 of 8 (1134 views)
Shortcut

Smile ... great solution ... well done.

All the best

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my