Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
Nail Cutting for Pug

lilo_pug
Novice

Jan 29, 2004, 7:46 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1605 views)
Shortcut
Nail Cutting for Pug Can't Post

My pug, Lilo is so scared of nail cutting. I have tried so many ways to cut them and unable to do so. She would "scream" like we are going to kill her or something...

Does anyone have any idea? or know any pet saloon which is good on handling this kinda problem in PJ? I also have read that Pugs are very scared of people touching their paw.

Her nail is too long now.. we always get scratched by her. We have asked an indian guy who is doing pet grooming in my home town to cut her nail, he also couldn't get to cut her nails, and gave up. :s

kesuke
Doggyman

Jan 29, 2004, 9:42 PM

Post #2 of 8 (1596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lilo_pug] Nail Cutting for Pug [In reply to] Can't Post

hmm...i can think of a few ways to overcome this prob but might take time lah...

1. let her run on cement or hard surface. that way her nails will be kept short by all the running

2. since lilo already had bad experience with nail cutting/paw touching, maybe you should start all over again. like, reward her when she is fine with you touching/taking her paw. she'll later realized that good things come when her paws are being touched. then you could procede to cut her nail one by one, rewarding her on each one that is successfully cut..then over time, she should have no prob in nail cutting. Smile

hope this works lah...

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 2, 2004, 11:48 PM

Post #3 of 8 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Don't do it yourself, sometimes they 'pretend' to shout, but it doens't hurt an inch!
Send them to a groomer, as they are stranger to the groomer, they will be better off.. it won't cost much, and all long nails are gone!

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 3, 2004, 12:24 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1587 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Nail Cutting for Pug [In reply to] Can't Post

wow...u finally re-appear back into the puppy.com scene Shocked remember us now ar ? or missed us too much ! LOL ! Laugh

cheers,
minglmy

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 3, 2004, 12:35 AM

Post #5 of 8 (1584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Nail Cutting for Pug [In reply to] Can't Post

How are you girl! doing good? Yeah, today public holiday, Tongue

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 3, 2004, 1:34 AM

Post #6 of 8 (1582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Nail Cutting for Pug [In reply to] Can't Post

only get to really see u once in a BLUE BLUE moon hor. I'm doing ok at the moment... got myself another doggie Tongue its an ECS this time Smile so, any new addition to ur family yet ? or still waiting wor ? Wink

cheers,
minglmy

Popeye18
Dog Kichi

Apr 16, 2004, 10:29 AM

Post #7 of 8 (1547 views)
Shortcut

Hi lilo, regarding to your case, i do faced it before! for my pug popeye, he was brave to do everything, he love to take shower! for cutting nail... ya, it's a bit hard, thats' why i asked my friend to hold him, in this time, we have to use "Soft" way to treat him more effective than we use "hard" way you see? ha, finally he let me trim his nail..Hoho~!Tongue

After that i tried to let popeye have it more oftenly so he know that it is not really painful. Be careful when cutting lilo nail, don't cut too much, she will get hurt since popeye have it 1 time. But luckily my popeye give me a new chance to do it next time. After you finish cutting her nail, don't forget to praise her and gve her some rewards!! It's important because she know that she is doing the right thing just now. ok, be patient anyway! Good luck!Laugh
Try to make dog happier instead of keep demanding happiness from dog.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 17, 2004, 8:32 AM

Post #8 of 8 (1543 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Popeye18] Nail Cutting for Pug [In reply to] Can't Post

hi elaine and popeye!

do join us in the pug thread... add to our ever growing list of members... join in our chats and gatherings and much much more! go to breed specific > toy group > pug...

see you there!

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my