New dog

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Jeremy87
New User

Jan 26, 2004, 4:05 PM

Post #1 of 185 (4046 views)
Shortcut
New dog Can't Post

Hello. Me and my parents just adopted a new dog a few days ago! She is a little over one year old. But ever since we've gotten her, she seemed to whine a lot. If one person in my family left the house she would whine. So, today we all left the house, leaving the dog by herself. When we got back I saw that she peed on the floor. Now, I don't know if I want to risk us all going again, because she might pee on the floor again.

Does anyone have any help on this situation? Thanks in advance.

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 26, 2004, 4:27 PM

Post #2 of 185 (4040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jeremy87] New dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jeremy!

Congrats on adopting a doggy as she will be your life-long friend!! Tongue

Anyway, don't worry too much about the whinning as it is dog-language for "I'm kind of scared because this is a new environment for me...". Did you take the dog around the house when she first arrived? This is to let the dog sniff out the new environment to let them know of their new territory. Tongue

Ok.. Next task, house-breaking. This is a common problem for new dog owners. I think many of us can't stress the importance of this... Wink Basically, you have to train your dog that you want her to do her business in the proper place. Here are a few threads to discuss this...

How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place

Potty Training my Weird Shih Tzu

Another thing is basic training i.e. "sit", "down", "stay". Again, there are plenty of threads here about training as well.

However, the most important thing to remember is that your dog is going through an adjustment period. Please be patient with her as she needs time to be comfortable with her surroundings. Wink

Good luck... Your little dog has a name yet? Tongue

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

Jeremy87
New User

Jan 26, 2004, 6:28 PM

Post #3 of 185 (4033 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] New dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply. Her name is Lucky. We were going to change here name, but decided to stay with Lucky. Smile

I'll wait and see if she'll get used to her new home. Hopefully when she gets used to her new home, she won't pee on the carpet if we leave.

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 26, 2004, 10:19 PM

Post #4 of 185 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Ok... A big welcome to Lucky too!!

Ooo... We had a problem with Snoopy because she thought that the carpet was grass... UnsureUnsureUnsure So, one day, she did her business there and we never had the carpet on the floor since... Wink

However, with a little bit of training, I think we can put the carpet back on... LOL!!... Anyway, just be patient and spend some time with your little friend. TongueTongue

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

comel23
Novice

Jan 27, 2004, 3:08 AM

Post #5 of 185 (4023 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jeremy

The first few days of the dog's arrival into your home is crucial in potty training and getting the dog to familiarize with the new environment. Like human, dogs do get stressed too. If possible, try not to leave your dog to raom free if it is not well toilet trained. Crate or create a small space for the dog in case they accidentally do it (it could also be territorial markings) when you are not around to watch them. Remember to take the dog out before you leave. Dogs should be able to hold their bladder once they are trained. As for the whinning, I suggest that you begin by practising leaving the dog alone for a short time - for example start for 5 minutes and build the time as time goes by. Praise the dog when they did not whine. Also leave some toys to keep them occupied, and plenty of play time when you are around. The will get tired and want to rest. Create a special corner for them to get rested. Hope this helps.
Cheers Everyone

"Love Your Dog and You'll Be Loved Unconditionally"

kesuke
Doggyman

Jan 27, 2004, 8:31 AM

Post #6 of 185 (4017 views)
Shortcut

hey..you are becoming some sort of "expert/sifu" here eh? hehehehe....that's great...CoolCool

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

paulynn
ALPHA

Jan 27, 2004, 9:07 AM

Post #7 of 185 (4015 views)
Shortcut

hi there jeremy!! Good to know that u adopted a dog instead of buying one because that means u're keeping more stray dogs off the pound and the streets!
Anyway back to your problems, just as other members askiing the same question that relates to one thing- puppy peeing on the floor.That means that she wants attention. and she's only a litter over a year old so this is the growing period where she'd ask for more attention than the next few years to come when she grows into a bitch (adult female dog). If u can't be at home attending to her, try to buy her lots of doggy toys especially the ones from KONG. One of the toys that i'd recommend is the one where u can put foods/treats into it because she'll play with it and put her entire attention on the toy trying to dig the treats out.It's really a cool toy for the dogs but a little costly. i think it's above RM20 but it's definitely worth buying if u want to distract a little attention away from her. Somehow everyone will still go out so u can't say whether u want to "risk" all goingagain. Just try to train her and pamper her with the toys. Good Luck! Hope my suggestion helps as i'm not really an experienced doggy handler.

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 27, 2004, 6:56 PM

Post #8 of 185 (4013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] New dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hahaa...

No-la... BlushBlush Just some of my experience of having a pup, listening to my elders and reading some books... TongueTongueTongue

LOL!!!

Join the JRT Zone

kesuke
Doggyman

Jan 27, 2004, 8:08 PM

Post #9 of 185 (4011 views)
Shortcut

but you are contributing leh...very good mah..no need pai seh lah....ehhehehehehehehe......SlyLaughLaugh

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 27, 2004, 10:48 PM

Post #10 of 185 (4006 views)
Shortcut

LaughLaughLaughLaugh...

BlushBlushBlush.. I think I can help out with the new doggy owners. However, for more serious questions.. Got to leave it up to the other sifus there... TongueTongueTongue

Not too much experience with dogs, Snoopy is my "real" 1st puppy. Funnily though, I seem to understand how to take care of them... LaughLaughLaugh I think I sort of "know" their language?

Join the JRT Zone

kesuke
Doggyman

Jan 27, 2004, 10:55 PM

Post #11 of 185 (4005 views)
Shortcut

wow.....doggy whisperer eh?? ehhehehehe......that's nice....LaughTongueSmileSmileSmile

that means you share a bond with snoopy...that's really magical...

my billy boy was my first "real" doggie too...the first dog that i take full responsibility for...Smile

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 27, 2004, 11:13 PM

Post #12 of 185 (4004 views)
Shortcut

Hahaa...

No-la.. Not to that extent-la... LaughLaughLaugh But at least I'm not afraid of dogs-la... Unless they scare me first like a rotti jump out of nowhere to bark at me... LaughLaughLaugh

Hmm... So sorry about Billy... He's such a lovely dog... UnsureUnsure Hope those fella who did that to Billy will get what they deserve... MadMad

Join the JRT Zone

kesuke
Doggyman

Jan 27, 2004, 11:47 PM

Post #13 of 185 (4002 views)
Shortcut

hahha....of course lah..such a big dog like a rottie jumping out of nowhere sure will scare the hell out of anybody....aiyoh....if the lizard (cicak) fall down somewhere on me i'd really pengsan lah.....CrazyCrazyCrazy eeeeeeee.....

well...hope those bastards rot in hell....what goes around comes around....they took 2 innocent lives, they'll pay for what they did...may billy rest in peace...Unimpressed

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 27, 2004, 11:54 PM

Post #14 of 185 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Hehehe... Yea..

Celaka-la that rotti.. LaughLaughLaugh Wait for us to walk past their house and then jump out to bark at us. CrazyCrazyCrazy My friend screamed and the other claimed that she got so scared that she nearly peed... LaughLaughLaughLaugh...

Hmmm... I cannot stand cicak too but usually, they leave their souvenir behind and I still like to play with that... SlySlySly Kekeke... Must get Snoopy to hunt those cicak... Crazy

Wah liao.. They poisoned two dogs?? ShockedShockedShocked Hmmm... MadMad hope that they really get what they deserve!!!

Join the JRT Zone

kesuke
Doggyman

Jan 28, 2004, 1:08 AM

Post #15 of 185 (3995 views)
Shortcut

waahhh...so bad lah that rottie scare you all like that... but it must have been a sight to see 3 girls screaming like taht......hehehehhe........LaughLaughLaughCool

aiyaaaaaaahhhh....the souvenir you mean is ...shit??? and you play with their shit?????? CrazyCrazyCrazyCrazy

ya....they also poisoned my neighbor's dalmation...Unsure died on the same day but 6 hours earlier...Frown

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 28, 2004, 1:54 AM

Post #16 of 185 (3993 views)
Shortcut

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh....

Kekeke... I didn't scream-la... Just got a shock... Wink

Not the shit... The tail.... LaughLaughLaughLaugh.... Have you seen a dried-up cicak before? SlySlySly Looks a bit like the dried fish... TongueTongue Found one recently in the pantry... Kekeke... Scared my colleague...

Aiyo.... ShockedShocked Hmmm.. Real sicko person doing this kind of thing... MadMad

Join the JRT Zone

kesuke
Doggyman

Jan 28, 2004, 8:51 PM

Post #17 of 185 (3986 views)
Shortcut

ohhhhhh........hhehehee........so paiseh......BlushBlush but i salute you lah.....you are not scared of cicak....i very geli loh if see cicak....LaughLaughCrazy ya..have seen dry cicak before...hahaha....dried fish?????? CrazyCrazyLaughLaugh i also seen dried frog before leh.....also look like fish lah...bigger dry fish....ehhehe......

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 29, 2004, 2:55 AM

Post #18 of 185 (3980 views)
Shortcut

Hahaaha.... LaughLaughLaugh....

Funny thing is that the dried cicak doesn't smell... TongueTongueTongueTongue Kekeke...

Join the JRT Zone

kesuke
Doggyman

Jan 29, 2004, 10:16 PM

Post #19 of 185 (3971 views)
Shortcut

hhaha.....which is also a good thing coz can't imagine the smell of the dried cicak lah........CrazyCrazyCrazy

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 29, 2004, 10:55 PM

Post #20 of 185 (3969 views)
Shortcut

LaughLaughLaugh....

I think it smells a little bit like dried fish.... But not so strong-lo... CrazyCrazyCrazy

Join the JRT Zone

kesuke
Doggyman

Jan 29, 2004, 11:46 PM

Post #21 of 185 (3967 views)
Shortcut

luckily last time when i saw the dried frog it doesn't smell.....CrazyCrazyLaughSly

btw...heh..just curious, how old are you?

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 30, 2004, 2:04 AM

Post #22 of 185 (3963 views)
Shortcut

LaughLaughLaughLaugh....

Kekeke... I'm about 28 but have the soul of a 20 yr-old... Forever young... LaughLaughLaughLaugh You?

Join the JRT Zone

kesuke
Doggyman

Jan 30, 2004, 10:01 PM

Post #23 of 185 (3960 views)
Shortcut

wow....and you sure sound young enough.....Cool

i love the song 'forever young'.....let's dance in style let's dance for a while, heaven can wait we're only watching the stars.........Angelic

me is 21....Tongue

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 30, 2004, 10:55 PM

Post #24 of 185 (3959 views)
Shortcut

TongueTongueTongueTongue...

Kekeke... Like my mom says... "Mix around with young people, stay forever young..." LaughLaughLaugh...

Ah.... 21.. Lovely, lovely age.... Learn to get drunk legally!! LaughLaughLaugh

Join the JRT Zone

xyne
Doggyman

Jan 31, 2004, 12:11 AM

Post #25 of 185 (3957 views)
Shortcut

young at heart good enough lerr...

hehehee.. is there such a thing as getting drunk legally???
My boxer likes getting drunk too.. heheheee wonder if tats legal...
muaahahaaaa
Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my