Jan 25, 2004, 11:02 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1413 views)
Shortcut
Doberman or GSD Can't Post

HI,
Can anyone advise which dog I should get? My criteria:
1. Easy grooming
2. Intelligent and Obedient
3. Not too dominance where elderly could not handle. I have a 70 years old mother.
4. Protection - need to protect my mum while I'm away for work.

How much is the monthly maintenance fees? Food and vet visits?

Where can I get a good doberman? and how much?
Need to do ear cropping and docked tail? How much? Pls advise. anyone?

I'm quite dissapointed to hear my friend owning a GSD for RM3k and it was a show quality dog. The thief came in and the GSD actually performs his show by showing the thief to the jewellery drawer. I could not believe this. How stupid is the dog? I hope not to get a dog like this.

PSD
ALPHA

Jan 26, 2004, 9:16 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garys] Doberman or GSD [In reply to] Can't Post

Gary,

First and foremost, no dog is born a super protection dog. Therefore the term you used as a stupid dog should be termed back to the owner to be in the rightful correct perspective.

It does not mean that a genetically correct dog to start with will automaticly become a super protection dog as it grows. All those depends on the right training to help the dog realise its highest genetics abilities. How good you want your dog to be depends on how committed you are to spend time training it and be trained along with it.

If I were you, I'd pick a good book on Personal Protection Dog read it and understand it, then see if you are dedicated enough to own one before going on a buying spree. Otherwise, no dog breeds will fit your needs. IMHO.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jan 31, 2004, 5:09 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garys] Doberman or GSD [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's something I copied and pasted . Though it might not answer your questions directly,I hope it helps a little.(Just ignore the rott part and exchnage it with a dobe/GSD. It was written for a rott owner prospect.)

Are you looking for a guard dog or a WATCH dog? There is a difference.
A guard dog is meant to guard a designated property from intruders. He will patrol the areas and will use his own descretion to attack the assailant if all cue meets the right condition. This also applies to personal protection. He will also attack on command.
Where as a watch dog alerts you when there is an intruder.
An untrained/not genetically right rott 99.99% of the time will *not* attack an intruder. I hv seen dogs who hv the genetic make-up for protection but are untrained, attacked when he/his owner was threatened.
Not all rotts can protect,not all terriers hunt rodents,not all shepherds herd sheep. Long time ago,yes. But now,sad to say,alot of dogs hv lost their working ability as they are kept mostly as pets.
That being said ,first thing u must know is that not all dogs can be trained to be guard dogs. If you do indeed want to get a rott that is going to be a property protection or personal protection dog,get a rott from the working line meaning dogs which were bred with the genetic makeup consisting of temperament,drives and nerves. Dogs that can be trained for utility purposes such as protection,tracking,Police Service Dogs(PSD) and so on.

If he is not,there are some tests that an experienced person can do on him to see if he can be a candidate for protection work.

The dogs which were not bred to guards and dont hv it in them to be guard dogs will get compulsion training which is basically beating the dog until he is forced to defend and bite. That is when you get a fear biter. A fear biter is a nervous dog who perceives everyone as an enemy and bite out of fear. This is only effective if the dog is actually cornered or in a situation that he does not like....and I doubt the robbers would bother to corner him.

Of course only unethical trainders would accept training a dog who is not cut out for the job. The will test the dog and if he is suitable,the training will commence. If he is not,they should refuse to train him.

Here's a thread that might be of some interest.

http://www.puppy.com.my/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Hope it helps.Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my