Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
Plant-eating puppy

gecko
New User

Jan 25, 2004, 7:43 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1380 views)
Shortcut
Plant-eating puppy Can't Post

I recently got a puppy and he's a few months old.Lately he's been at the potted plants, not really eating it though but mainly just tearing it apart.Unsure Please help,I have said "no" and commanded it to stop,even put a small fence around the plants.But he will still try to eat it. Thank you for your replies and comments.

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 26, 2004, 4:34 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gecko] Plant-eating puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaugh Hi!!!

Congrats on your new pup!! TongueTongue Hehe.. I had that problem a few months ago when Snoopy first came to us. Kekeke.. She kept "killing" our money plants and kai lan... So, our family didn't have our yummy garden-grown kai lan for a few weeks... CrazyCrazyCrazy

Hmmmm... Sounds like you've got yourself a very determined little fella there...Laugh Did you catch him in the act? If you did, the reinforcement of the "no" command should work very well at that point in time.

Another thing is that once he stops tearing (after you've said "no"), you should "exchange" the plant with a toy so that he understands that the behaviour of not tearing the plant will get him a reward. Basically, you are telling him that there are better things to do than killing your plants. SlySly

Some would recommend squirting Apple Cider Vinegar or diluted vinegar mix on the plant's leaves (I think it doesn't kill the plant) so that if your pup gets into contact with it, he will not like it... Sly

I've tried the first tactic and it works. Snoopy started to tear at the garden a couple of times but after we did that, it worked. Anyway, she's a stubborn little dog and so, after a few sessions, she got the idea. LaughLaughLaugh

Just remember that your pup is rather curious of his surroundings and so, you shouldn't be too harsh with him... Tongue

Good luck...

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

paulynn
ALPHA

Jan 27, 2004, 9:19 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1363 views)
Shortcut

hi gecko.

congrats on getting ur new companion and a new friend. My dog josie eats my dad's plant too. He's probably on his teething season...try buy him some soft toys to replace the plant bitting session. he's probably bored too. But beware though as there are some house plants that are harmful to dogs!!

Was suppose to find the list of plants that are harmful but i think someone has deleted the file. Am quite furious about it too as i thought of lookingat it again but i can only remember the fruits that are harmful to dogs. Grapes...bananas.. Just don't give them these...good luck

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Feb 3, 2004, 10:33 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1351 views)
Shortcut

Hello,Smile

Congrats on the new pup.Aragorn has given some great tips.

But for starters,try not to use Apple Cider Vinegar(ACV). It has nutrional values and it would serve a better purpose in your pup's stomach than on a plant/negative action/punishment.Try not to use that.

Alot of ppl are facing the problems with their dogs not used to the smell,and them not liking it. So as a young pup,try letting him get used to it if you plan to get ACV.

Alternatively,you could try using some pepper.

Good Luck!
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my