Excessive Barking & Eating Feces

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

garys
Novice

Jan 25, 2004, 6:54 AM

Post #1 of 40 (4321 views)
Shortcut
Excessive Barking & Eating Feces Can't Post

Can anyone help advise? I have a Miniature Pinscher and he barks excessively non stop at 5:00am. I normally crate him at night from 10:00pm until morning. I purposely not wanting him to learn that everytime he barks, he gets out from the crate. However, he keeps barking until I need to use a newspaper and hit on the floor to make him stop barking. After I left the place, he barks again. It's such an annoyance to my neighbourhood.
another thing is when he shit, he eats the feces. I scream and shouted, he still enjoys eating and ignoring me. I use a water gun to distract him but it doesn't work. Help, please anyone?

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jan 25, 2004, 9:12 PM

Post #2 of 40 (4307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garys] Excessive Barking & Eating Feces [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Garys,

Welcome to the forum !

How old is your minpin ? Did you take him to do his pee n poo business before you take him in at 10 pm ? One possibility is that he is in dire need to do his 'business' that's why the barking non stop (unless he is barking from 10 pm - morning)

As for screaming and shouting at him.... it won't help much. What I would suggest is that when he poo, distract your pup/dog to walk away from the poo by taking his attention away using treats and tell him good boy aftewards. In this way, after a while he will realise to walk away from the poo is a good thing.

Check out the forum below for more information on how to refrain your dog/pup from eating the poo...

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=81027;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=42546;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=27114;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=5579;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Hope this helps....

cheers,
minglmy

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 25, 2004, 11:56 PM

Post #3 of 40 (4299 views)
Shortcut

hello

a good solution to keep your min pin from eating his poo, is to teach him that poos aren't as yummy as he thinks.

rather than squinting a water gun for distraction, perhaps u could try spraying something not-so-yummy on the poo before he could eat it. maybe u can spray some apple cider vinegar on the poo -generally people use this to keep dogs/puppies from biting furnitures because they don't like the scent of it. perhaps this can be applied the same to poo also.

try it. who knows, it might just work :)

regards,
hunter

paulynn
ALPHA

Jan 26, 2004, 1:22 AM

Post #4 of 40 (4298 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter,garys] Excessive Barking & Eating Feces [In reply to] Can't Post

hunter aka li ping ( if i spelt that correctly ).

Am just wondering. I heard at one thread where apple cider helps prevent dogs from getting ticks and all that. So if a dog hates the smell of a ACV, then how does this ticks prevention works?

garys- the only reason i can think of why your MP is barking excessively is either he wants attention or he's bored and he wants to play with you or that it's nature's call. 'If i'm not mistaken, i remember one of the threads that says the reason somedogs eat their eliminations are because that they have tummy problem and all.Hope mine helps as i'm not an experienced dog handler compare to others.

garys
Novice

Jan 26, 2004, 6:50 AM

Post #5 of 40 (4296 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulynn] Excessive Barking & Eating Feces [In reply to] Can't Post

My MinPin is 6 months old. He keeps chewing the snail, feces, dead lizards, he just knows how to find them on the ground. Quite frusfrating that when you call him, he just ignore you. When you chase him, he still run with the things inside its mouth instead of spitting it out.
IN terms of training my minpin, he just doesn't want to poo poo when i bring him outside.

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 26, 2004, 9:10 AM

Post #6 of 40 (4294 views)
Shortcut

hello

mm that i've heard of too. but personally tho i would rather get anti ticks medicine from a vet, rather than making our dogs smell like something they hate, don't u think :/?

maybe the smell is so terrible, that ticks hate it as well :p ?

nathalie
Doggyman

Jan 26, 2004, 11:46 AM

Post #7 of 40 (4292 views)
Shortcut

hi,

normally when a pup eats it's poo..it's related to it's mental fear. i've read from somehwre that pups normally develop this behaviour when they are placed in a kennel or caged n they fear that they'll be punish for messing up the place...hence they eat it so that they'll not be punished for dirtying the place.

ty to spend some time with u min pin...don't resort in raising u voice whenver he does something wrong. take some time to reward him when he behaves...n talk to him because the growing stage is the most crucial stage n he needs ur attention the most.

good luckSmile

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jan 26, 2004, 7:12 PM

Post #8 of 40 (4290 views)
Shortcut

Hi Gary,

Min Pin is a stubborn creature and they do have the tendancy to look for things on the floor that's why if you do your reading on minpin's characteristic you'll find out that its safer to put all the coins, hair clips and anything that you can find on the floor out of reach from them coz they know where to find em !

when you chase automatically he will run knowing that you are after his 'prize possession' what I would normally do is to attract my minpin with treats and take them 'away' from what they are playing with....

I think you need to spend more time n patience with your minpin in order to be able to train him. Take him out after his meals... then tell him to pee pee n poo poo let him know that after he does what you want him to he will be rewarded. (I still practice this with my 2 minpin)

cheers,
minglmy

paulynn
ALPHA

Jan 26, 2004, 8:52 PM

Post #9 of 40 (4287 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Excessive Barking & Eating Feces [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiya :)

Thanks so much for your advise. If i'm not mistaken (sorry mack2) but i think i read that from 's thread.Can't remember which as she has soooo many threads but besides ACV, i read from the thread too where it says to give your dogs raw garlic too twice a week to prevent from getting ticks as well. Hehe so now i'm really confused.

paulynn
ALPHA

Jan 26, 2004, 9:01 PM

Post #10 of 40 (4285 views)
Shortcut

hi gary,

believe it or not but my two dogs LOVE bitting and killing flies ALIVE whenever there's one buzzing and flying around them. Normal or not i'd still try to tell them off by saying a HARSH NO instead of just a "no baby no". Since i'm quite certain that your minpin is your companion and not a companion-guard dog, you probably can't command him by calling him harshly. What i meant by harshly is that when i call my dogs normally and they do not respond back i'll make my voice sterner and they'll eventually come as they're used to the tone of my voice when i train them. IF possible try to catch him right on the spot where he bite those stuffs and point at it and say a stern no. give them your coldest eye stare to make him understand that u're for real and you're not joking around.

Poo poo- when i first adopted my second dog josie it was really hard as i've never ever kept a puppy (when i first adopted nash from spca he was already 1 yr old so it wasn't a prob handling him). In terms of basic training such as toilet training and all, i was going nuts as i've never had experienced.So what i did to josie for toilet trainning was right after i feed her, i'll spread out layers of n'papers and make her stand on top of it and stay beside her all the time-until nature's call. It's quite hard as u have to wait from as fast as 10 minutes till 1/2 hours. But it's worth it when your dog gets the hang of doing it on a newspaper after two days of training.

Good Lucky

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 27, 2004, 2:16 AM

Post #11 of 40 (4278 views)
Shortcut

hie

well garlic does work miracles on curing bad breathe, reducing dog odour and prevent ticks.

for raw garlics i ain't so sure, but there are garlic pills sold just for pets for the purposes mentioned above. used it on hunter last time when he was a puppy and it worked really well.

i believe garlic does prevent ticks, and it's good for other purposes for our dog too. if i were to choose, i would prefer using garlic pills over apple cider vinegar.

regards,
hunter

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 27, 2004, 3:15 AM

Post #12 of 40 (4277 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter, paulynn] Excessive Barking & Eating Feces [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Not so sure if garlic cures bad breath ... *LOL* ... or just gives the doggies garlic breath ... Tongue ...

As far as I know ... feeding ACV does not prevent ticks ... (also don't know if rubbing ACV over their body prevents ticks either) ...

However, when ACV is made into a dilute solution ... it can be used as a cleaner or poured over raw meat (before feeding) ... it has mild disinfecting and anti-yeast/fungal properties ... Some people feed small quantities of ACV as a form of supplement ...

Garlic when consumed ... its active ingredients become present in our doggie's skin and oils, and that helps to repel ticks & fleas ...

Personally, I prefer to feed raw crushed garlic rather than the garlic pills - think its more beneficial using garlic in its natural form ... There has been some research, and its believed that the garlic's active ingredients don't preserve very well ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Jan 27, 2004, 3:17 AM)

paulynn
ALPHA

Jan 27, 2004, 8:30 AM

Post #13 of 40 (4269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Excessive Barking & Eating Feces [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi :)

Hehe. Seems like Surchin's opinion on garlics are jst about the same as mine. I've seen the garlic pills before but do'nt know why i prefer to give josie (nash hates it heaps) raw garlic. Actually giving anything to her is fine as she eats jsut about anything...thankfully not her stools though!

U sure ah curing bad breathe? we human makan already talking to someone ah that someone will faint already lo smelling our garlic breath. Dogs breath itself already "contagious" enough so i'm doubtful that it'll cure bad breath but thanks for your advise.Will try and smell (and contain myself from fainting) after a few weeks of consuming raw garlics.

terenceg

Jan 28, 2004, 8:15 PM

Post #14 of 40 (4251 views)
Shortcut

i once read from an unknown sources, the eating poo poo habits dates back from their ancestor. they are prey animals and hunts in packs,

one pack is different from the neighbouring pack. so they poo poo and eat back their poo JUST TO KEEP ENEMY OFF THEIR TRACK.

and if one dog's poo poo is being eaten by another doggie, they'll have the smell and can track them easily.

i still have no idea how to stop this habits, other than keeping an eye open 24/7

~Not All that Glitters is Gold Not All that Wanders is Lost~

terenceg@streamyx.com

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 29, 2004, 5:38 AM

Post #15 of 40 (4245 views)
Shortcut

Paulynn,

Yes, I feed my dogs crushed raw-garlics, 2-3 times a week. Obvious results can be seen from my old Max, bad mouth & body odor have been reduced.Smile
(never feed anyone of them ACV)

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

(This post was edited by mackmack on Jan 29, 2004, 5:39 AM)

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 29, 2004, 5:46 AM

Post #16 of 40 (4242 views)
Shortcut

6 month-old minpin,
a puppy,
small breed.
his size of bladder is so so so so small.
how could he hold his pee/poo for so many hours?!
he doesn't wanna being scolded for messing up the crate, so he barks hope to be released to do his business way out of his SLeeping Zone.
Too bad, he has no other option but to peepoo inside it after long hours of Ninja-Kungfu.
Eh!!!
he then remember,
last time he pee poo inside, he kena kau kau !
clever boy~
he eats those up to COver the scene!!

pee-ed poo-ed, ate!
then what to do when u bring him for a walk when u think he gotto learn where to do his biz?
ah~ Angelic
play with the creatures he found on the ground loh!

make sense tak?!

jaytan
Canine Addict

Jan 29, 2004, 7:05 AM

Post #17 of 40 (4237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Excessive Barking & Eating Feces [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, makes lots of sense and very impressive doggie psychology too. Best regards,J

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 29, 2004, 7:17 AM

Post #18 of 40 (4234 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] Excessive Barking & Eating Feces [In reply to] Can't Post

erm..... jay~ i would take that as a compliment~Cool

think about it... dogs can't SPEAK like us,
the only way to express their needs is to BARK,
perhaps, sometimes, to WHINE.
Only when they are sick, real sick,
they will on strike.
no food,
no play,
no bark,
no mood.

Then,
you would rather see your dog eating up feces, play with the creatures-on-the-ground, and bark like a crazy monster~
agree?Wink

well~ maybe we both have a weird breed,
they dun bark, they HOWL.
they dun eat feces, they SNIFF at them like about going to eat them!Shocked

(This post was edited by mackmack on Jan 29, 2004, 7:19 AM)

jaytan
Canine Addict

Jan 29, 2004, 7:18 AM

Post #19 of 40 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Hi Garys, I also have 6 month puppies but Beagles and they eat poop, too. Sometimes can be a plus if lazy to pick up after them but the bad breath is unbearable, hahhaha. is right. Scolding and shouting at them will only enforce their poop eating habit. Maybe you have to observe their pooping times to pre-empt them. I normally walk my puppies at 7.30 am when it get brighter. By then they could have pooped one round and had it for breakfast. One day last week I had to walk them earlier. Went in at 6.30 and found them groggy and not a sign of any poop. Took them out and bomb, bomb, bomb. Although I know what to do I still cant,sigh. By the time I come back from sending my kids to school they would have done their business all over. But they eat their poop less as they get older and sometimes make it easier for me by doing it on the newspapers provided. Good luck and best regards,J

paulynn
ALPHA

Jan 29, 2004, 7:22 AM

Post #20 of 40 (4230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack,surchinmy] Excessive Barking & Eating Feces [In reply to] Can't Post

surchinmy-thanks alot on your p.o.i

mack-So that was your thread and ur post!! I wanted to write ur name down but scared that u'll say i "wat" u simply say that it's what u wrote and all hehe paiseh paiseh.

Then who mentioned ACV?

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 29, 2004, 7:29 AM

Post #21 of 40 (4228 views)
Shortcut

well~ i mentioned about feeding my dogs raw garlic many times in the forum.Smile
but cant recall that i have a thread a post to write about ACV tho.....

WHO mentioned about acv.... mmm.... Unimpressed
who cares?Laugh

(This post was edited by mackmack on Jan 29, 2004, 7:30 AM)

jaytan
Canine Addict

Jan 29, 2004, 10:13 PM

Post #22 of 40 (4218 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Excessive Barking & Eating Feces [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, yeah 100% compliment. I thought it interesting the way you answered from the doggie perspective.

I have 2 Beagle puppies. The guy Sparky is the quiet type and I only hear his deep howl maybe once a week. The gal Picnic will yelp the roof down when she wants attention. It is annoying especially first thing in the morning. But I also appreciate their barking when strangers approach the house. They normally beat the door bell to it, rah rah rah. Better than any alarm system. I know they are just trying to communicate with me. Sometimes, 'wake up, it's time for my walk' or 'Hey, there's someone strange at the gate' or 'I need to go to the toilet now or else' or just 'come play with us'. Best regards,J

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 30, 2004, 7:12 AM

Post #23 of 40 (4213 views)
Shortcut

yea i'm sure it cures bad breathe because it did worked on my dog before.

paulynn
ALPHA

Feb 1, 2004, 9:29 PM

Post #24 of 40 (4202 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter,mackmack] Excessive Barking & Eating Feces [In reply to] Can't Post

mack*2-thanks.
hunter..
Oh..how many times do u feed ur dogs with garlics then

a_evie
Doggyman

Feb 11, 2004, 9:40 PM

Post #25 of 40 (4162 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter, garys] Excessive Barking & Eating Feces [In reply to] Can't Post

guess they don't burp in ur face...

shalom burps in my face..so garlic in that sense is qute..ermmm undescribable.

anyhow, shalom still eats her poo periodically despite raw garlic in her diet daily. its only with barf that she stopped eating her poo 100%...

am still looking for ways to stop her poo eating...but she's improving daily..and i am sure happy and proud to see her development in her pace (not my dream pace).

similarly, garys...that's the approach that should be adopted. lotsa patience rather than screaming and shouting at the poor pup. shalom was notorious in her pee and poo when she came home at 8 weeks. 6 weeks down the lane...she is such a site to behold. just patience my friend.

walk your minpin, provide some toys and definitely give ur minpin the due attention and love. if you can't provide that...i think you definitely don't deserve the minpin. AND the minpin deserves a better owner that would love him or her unconditionally. remember (its been repeated over and over all over puppy.com... its not the dog's fault. its us human's who have failed to teach the dog or even provide for the dog properly).

hope to hear from you soon...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my