Home: Breed Specific: Gundog Group:
Afraid of thunder & lightning?

jasonlyh
Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2002, 6:00 PM

Post #1 of 20 (4032 views)
Shortcut
Afraid of thunder & lightning? Can't Post

With the current wet season, just wondering if your gundog breed is afraid of thunder and lightning. My ECS is surprisingly reacting well to thunder boom. For those really loud booms, he will react with barks. Even though he's outside the house alone, doesn't seems bothered by it. My previous dogs (working breed) would just go crazy and wanting to come into the house. One even learnt how to open the gate to run out Crazy. Is it because ECS is gundog breed that they're not afraid of such loud booms? Or does this just boils down to a dog's character???

wkser
ALPHA

Nov 20, 2002, 6:12 PM

Post #2 of 20 (4027 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jasonlyh] Afraid of thunder & lightning? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,
My nous will go and check it out where is it from ...he will intend the put his front leg on the window to look did the loud noise come from.......he will check every noise that can be heard around my house......i can said that he is not afraid of thunder or lighting.......

regards
kangse nad nous

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Nov 20, 2002, 11:40 PM

Post #3 of 20 (4016 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser] Afraid of thunder & lightning? [In reply to] Can't Post

My half ECS pup used to bark at thunder then run and hide under a table - now she just ignores it, lol. My other dogs (Doberman and GSD) have never paid attention to thunder though.

-= Tisha =-

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 21, 2002, 6:59 AM

Post #4 of 20 (4006 views)
Shortcut

None of our cockers seem particularly bothered by thunder...

stanley

Dec 11, 2002, 8:18 PM

Post #5 of 20 (3979 views)
Shortcut

Jumanji do not bother the thunder storm and lighting...

Cheryl
Dog Kichi

Jan 3, 2003, 9:24 PM

Post #6 of 20 (3962 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stanley] Afraid of thunder & lightning? [In reply to] Can't Post

Spring just scared of my vacuum cleaner!

makrawl
Canine Addict

Jan 17, 2003, 12:46 AM

Post #7 of 20 (3948 views)
Shortcut

Crazyu know? my ECS only scares of one silent machine, Camera! whenever i point the camera to him, he'll become nervous and lying on the floor with a staring eyes, and just a minute later....... TADA! he's gone. now u see it now u don't!Wink

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 18, 2003, 9:09 AM

Post #8 of 20 (3937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cheryl] Afraid of thunder & lightning? [In reply to] Can't Post

haha... luckey is scared of hairdryers and small kidsWink oh, and apparently cats!

makrawl
Canine Addict

Jan 24, 2003, 8:34 PM

Post #9 of 20 (3926 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Afraid of thunder & lightning? [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughSlyhaha! small kids? haha. my 2yo male tan ECS (goldy) likes cats a lot! i mean chasing cats. but he never harm them. whenever he sees one, he'll "shout" (not bark but those sounds that comes out becouse of excitment! u understand? like when they see u after u come back from work). for a few times he chase them till he "jatuh dalam longkang"!!!LaughSly he really makes me laughed to death!LaughSlyLaughSly

my 3 months old black ECS(beauty) affraid of nothing.

i'll show u ppl their pics when they get ready

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 25, 2003, 3:06 AM

Post #10 of 20 (3917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [makrawl] Afraid of thunder & lightning? [In reply to] Can't Post

yes do do! would love to see your ecs'... better still, come for the cocker gathering! should be ok even if your dog very hyper, mine too. As long as on lead and won't bite they should enjoy it Crazy i think!

makrawl
Canine Addict

Feb 5, 2003, 11:22 PM

Post #11 of 20 (3897 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Afraid of thunder & lightning? [In reply to] Can't Post

Gong Xi Fa Cai

yeah hope i can join the next gathering. they will not bite. very friendly dogs.

luckey
ALPHA

Feb 7, 2003, 8:31 AM

Post #12 of 20 (3885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [makrawl] Afraid of thunder & lightning? [In reply to] Can't Post

excellent! maybe we can fix a date for the gathering after the cny period...

cdmoo
ALPHA

Feb 11, 2003, 12:23 AM

Post #13 of 20 (3872 views)
Shortcut

Hi ,

Any gun dogs afraid of fireworks and lion dance?

Surprisingly, Rex reacts very well to fireworks & lion dance.. he 's not scared of fireworks (the sight & sound) and seen emotionless when 'lion' dancing just feets in front of him.. Crazy . He might be thinking "what's the big deal?"...

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

luckey
ALPHA

Feb 12, 2003, 8:06 AM

Post #14 of 20 (3864 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Afraid of thunder & lightning? [In reply to] Can't Post

All our adult cockers are OK with lion dances but they ahve been through a few cnys now... luckey was very barkey esp when the drums got really loud. when the drums stopped during the pauses, she would also go quiet... like she wanted to be part of the band or something. Brinkley was really scared, but she is also the youngest.

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 12, 2003, 10:53 AM

Post #15 of 20 (3861 views)
Shortcut

hi,

hunter barks at fireworks and fire crackers and run around like crazy everytime (while lookin' up on the sky). he never seen a lion dance before though.

however, when there's a loud bang of fireworks... he'll hide.

boon
Doggyman

Feb 12, 2003, 4:45 PM

Post #16 of 20 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Hi Moo,

Bonney also 'emotionless' when she heard/see the sound firework and cracker. Nothing abnormal to her, and i purposesly observed when there are firework near my area.

I think most of the lab are OK with this, since they're are gun dog mah. Hahahahhaa

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

makrawl
Canine Addict

Feb 13, 2003, 10:30 PM

Post #17 of 20 (3851 views)
Shortcut

Smilewell, my ECS also have no reaction when those fire crackers "bom" the night. (i was the one who can'r sleep, not themLaugh). but for the 2 german spizts that i had last time were too braved. why? they jump on the fire crackers!Shocked u knowlah, spizt has long fur right? they really scared me as they might be burned and have the "fire lion dance" in front of me!Laugh

wkser
ALPHA

Feb 14, 2003, 12:29 AM

Post #18 of 20 (3845 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Afraid of thunder & lightning? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,
Nous continue with his sleep even though my place is so noisy that nite due to firework and atomic crackers.....

regards
kangser and nous

strawhoney
K9 Maniac

Feb 17, 2003, 5:27 PM

Post #19 of 20 (3828 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Afraid of thunder & lightning? [In reply to] Can't Post

last year on new year's eve, we brought odie to see fireworks and guess what, his reaction just like your dog....haha..we were the only one with a dogBlush...after countdown, he totally went berserk....cuz the loud noise of the firecrackers....and instead of gazing at the beautiful fireworks,we had to console odie and to comfort him....and this year, we did not bring him...hehe...Cool
Meme

odie moves MY world!

kcsy
K9 Maniac

Feb 19, 2003, 6:26 PM

Post #20 of 20 (3817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [strawhoney] Afraid of thunder & lightning? [In reply to] Can't Post

wah....you guys' dogs are really brave...my oky is one weird dog. hehehe....i think he is still not exposed to everything yet. he will start barking when he hears loud noises like fireworks/tractors. he is afraid of going to the toilet and i have no idea why until today. he is also afraid of upside down stools because when he was a puppy, he got stuck in one of the stools and he cried like hell. bad childhood memory, i guess. poor thing!

krys

Wink Krystle & Oki Wink

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my