Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
4 mo. old pees 2-4 times/hour need help- training questions

droog
New User

Jan 19, 2004, 4:02 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1310 views)
Shortcut
4 mo. old pees 2-4 times/hour need help- training questions Can't Post

Hello all. My wife and I just adopted a 4 month old lab/chow mix (male) from an ad in the paper. The pup was adopeted from an agency by another family at 2 months old and then placed the ad because the owner said she found out she was pregnent(the owner not the dog). Now I'm starting to think it was because they had some housetraining problems but I don't know.

Anyway, my question pertains to how his behaviour should be at 4 months. He seems to have to pee 2-4 times an hour. this seems like alot to me. He seems smart and learned to sit in about 5 minutes. we take treats with us when we take him out to pee and he's already caught on as he's excited after he eliminates and comes over for his prize. So outside he's totally getting it and knows why we're there in that spot.

Inside, however is another story. We try to watch him as much as possible and take him out when we see any signs. but he still manages to sneak some urination in there here and there. My problem is that he doesn't seem to really know he's doing something wrong. we scold him and show our dissappointment but he doesn't seem to care that much. not in a defiant sort of way, just unknowingly.

He is crate trained and his crate has been dry every day. this is only his second day with us and I was wondering if we'll still be able to triain him at 4 months old if the previous owners maybe couldn't. it's just that he pees so much and he pooped in the house once already. we try to take him out all the time. how can I let him know how bad it is go in the house? He obviously gets how good it is to go outside but not that it's bad to go inside.

any suggestions? encouraging comments?

thank you very much

rebooto
ALPHA

Jan 19, 2004, 5:52 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Re: [droog] 4 mo. old pees 2-4 times/hour need help- training questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

1st of all i wanna wish u a warm welcome....

2nd a 4 month old pup can still be train and even old pup also can be train....it just maybe takes more patient and time but with appropraite ways of training then they will know what u want them to do in just moments.

ok suppose i wouldn't say so much in this reply as there is too much topics on this toilet-train buti think its best for u to search on this topic and u'll find lots of information about it.

did u clean the place where he poop and pee on in the house. make sure u use the spray that remove the odor of his pee/poop. You can get it from any pet shop....

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

droog
New User

Jan 19, 2004, 5:55 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rebooto] 4 mo. old pees 2-4 times/hour need help- training questions [In reply to] Can't Post

oh yes, we clean the spot. I think maybe the problem is that he doesn't let it all out when he goes. he only lets a little out and then he ends up having to go out all the time. Is this possible and is there a way to solve it? should I see a vet?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 19, 2004, 9:01 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1298 views)
Shortcut
Re: [droog] 4 mo. old pees 2-4 times/hour need help- training questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Yeaps ... can train and retrain dogs at any stage of their lives ... all it requires is patience ... and goodwill from both sides ... Smile ... and a 4month pup will not be difficult to train or retrain ...

But ... it is not normal for a healthy 4month puppy to wee as much as 2-4times an hour every hour ... unless:

(a) You are giving it so much water it has a full bladder all the time ...

Or

(b) puppy is doing "submissive peeing" ... (which might be the case, since the pup has only been with you for a few days)

Please check the other threads in the forum on housetraining and submissive urination ... Try these ...

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=68475;search_string=housetraining;#68475

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=72948;search_string=submissive%20urination;#72948

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=99207;search_string=submissive%20peeing;#99207

That said ... excessive urination can be caused by a urinary infection ...

So, if you are still not sure - it maybe good idea to get a good vet to check the pup ... take a sample of the urine with you ...

When housetraining or trying to reduce submissive urination ... the first thing to remember is NOT to reprimand your puppy when you find that it has eliminated where it should not ...

That may just make the pup more frightened and be counter-productive to effective training ...

Please check other threads ...

Cheers and all the best with your pup Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Jan 19, 2004, 9:13 PM)

droog
New User

Jan 20, 2004, 2:41 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] 4 mo. old pees 2-4 times/hour need help- training questions [In reply to] Can't Post

it's not submissive peeing and his crate is dry after he's been in it all night or in the day. so if he can keep his crate dry all that time he obviously doesn't have a problem holding it. So I don't think it's a UTI. He just doesn't seem to realize he's doing something bad when he goes in the house. he knows outside is good but doesn't care about inside. how can I punish him so that he's not carefree after he pees in the house. that's the really frustrating part. I'd lock him up in his crate after he pees but I don't want him to think of his crate as punishment. any suggestions? would a dog whistle do anything? I need him to know when he's bad. Sometimes I can't even get his attention afterwards. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 20, 2004, 7:55 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1262 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

The common causes of peeing in the house are (a) submissive urination ... (b) need to housetrain ... (c) some infection ...

Assuming that you are correct, and it's not submissive peeing or infection then its probably a need to housetrain ... If that is the case, then you are absolutely correct that locking up in crate is not a good idea ... but I don't think a whistle will work either ...

Effective housetraining requires close supervision & some reasonable anticipation ... Everytime you see the pup "about" to pee or see it peeing ... then without reprimand just carry pup immediately to the peeing area (interupt the peeing if necessary) ... then if the the pup eliminates in the correct area (or whenever the pup eliminates correctly) ... praise & treat ...

Be consistent ... It takes time to communicate your intention to a pup ... depending on the owner & dog ... it can take from a few days to 2 weeks ...

Please read the threads suggested ... punishment or reprimand are not solutions in housetraining and can be counter productive ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Jan 20, 2004, 8:01 PM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my