IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Humping Problem:
Dog confused about sex

kaerb

Nov 20, 2002, 9:14 AM

Post #1 of 17 (8437 views)
Shortcut
Dog confused about sex Can't Post

hi everyone, this is kinda wierd for me to write..don't think funny everyone...well, my female APBT is on heat now (almost a month) and she seems to be confused as to whether she is a male or a female. She kinda like want to mate with my other male, she would jump on him and shake,the thing male dogs usually do when they mate with females. I donno how to fully describe this, but she has been doing this for quite a while even when she wasn't on heat. I am just wondering, does she know she is a female? It makes everyone so uncomfortable just watching her attempting to "rape" our male dog..kinda sad huh? But pretty funny...I donno what to make of this..anyone had this experience?
Pls don't laugh...I know it can be quite like dumb dumb but I think Celeste, my dog may be confused. What do I do to make her understand that she is not supposed to jump on the male dog and mate, rather it's the other way round?

lisachew

Nov 20, 2002, 5:56 PM

Post #2 of 17 (8430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kaerb] Dog confused about sex [In reply to] Can't Post

Well from what I know is that female tends to perform that act when they are few days a part before starting on Heat and also few days after. I guess when its their second week on heat then they will let male to perform the act instead.

I guess the act that the female perform is a sense of female tackling male?

Correct me if I am wrong.
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

elizatye
K9 Senior

Nov 20, 2002, 6:22 PM

Post #3 of 17 (8427 views)
Shortcut

Hi, kaerb,

I have this problem too, but my pup’s target is …………. PILLOW Crazy . Please ... don’t laugh ah … I’m really headache loh Unsure ... some more he is only 7 months old now … is it too early for him? But this happened twice only.

kaerb

Nov 20, 2002, 8:44 PM

Post #4 of 17 (8421 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lisachew] Dog confused about sex [In reply to] Can't Post

Celeste kinda did the act several times when she wasn't on heat..I tot the females will pee or seduce the male if she wants to mate, n not by jumping on the male straightaway. It's very disturbing to see her do it all the time. Furthermore, she 's already a mth into a heat, kinda long though. I ask the vet and he says it's quite normal for the first timers to have a longer period of heat. I am not too sure abt that coz fr what I read, heat only last abt 2 to 3 weeks, but for Celeste, it's been kinda long.
You really think what she is doing is normal? I mean, even when she wasn't on heat? I can understand if a male dog tries it but a female??
Sigh...really funny and disturbing lar....

kaerb

Nov 20, 2002, 8:51 PM

Post #5 of 17 (8420 views)
Shortcut
Re: [elizatye] Dog confused about sex [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL....really? For a male, I guess it's ok. I kena not 2 times..but Sooooo many times, feel abit wierd. My male kinda prefers my legs though, I know it sounds very gross..but he gets too excited like first time see me in the morning..he would jump up and out of a sudden, my leg feels so outraged!!! At 7 months old, he is already abt to reach sexual maturity so I think it's pretty normal for him to try. My dogs are even worse, I think the first time it happen was when he was just 5-6mths.
There was one occassion, which was so hilarious at that moment, all four of them were trying to mate with each other at the same time and on the same line too. So what you get is Celeste jumping on Ronin, Ronin jumping on Cindy, Cindy jumping on Rusty and Rusty.....seems so blur. Hehehe, seriously...I think all of them don't quite get it yet, who is male and who is female.

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Nov 21, 2002, 12:01 AM

Post #6 of 17 (8411 views)
Shortcut

My FEMALE pup does it too, lol. Worse still, she started it when she was like, 3-4 months old. And she does it to her stuffed toy and sometimes my arm (when I'm sitting down). I think she might be doing it because she's just being a copycat (She lived with her dad for quite a while before coming to me, so she might have caught him in the act a few times). Your female dog is probably trying to copy the other males.

-= Tisha =-

kaerb

Nov 21, 2002, 4:14 AM

Post #7 of 17 (8404 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Dog confused about sex [In reply to] Can't Post

really? She may be following the other males, but it's still kinda wierd..for a girl. Does your dog still do it now? What should I do to discourage this kind of behaviour? It's getting on the male dog's nerves. Now, the male dog is getting a bit pissed at her, he would growl and bite her everytime she tries, but she still does it anyway.

I have another problem, not related to this though. I was playing with Celeste a tug of war game today, and I accidentally hit her on the head with the rope and now, she's kinda scared of the rope. She is usually very timid and I had been trying to coax her to play with the rope and today, she finally dared to play with it. But now...after the bump on the head, which was kinda painful I supposed coz she kinda yelped...she refuses to go near the toy but when I called her, she will still come and is still active. What should I do to make her understand that the toy is still safe and can still play with it?

thank you ppl....

ginl
ALPHA

Nov 21, 2002, 5:52 AM

Post #8 of 17 (8400 views)
Shortcut

Most of the time when dogs/bitches hump each other or human beings, it's a sign of dominance....unless you hv a dog who has raging hormones at the time Wink.....if your dog tries to hump you she is trying to show dominance over you so u shd try and discourage this behaviour as much as possible.....push her away or walk away frm it and tell her NO....same goes to if she tries to hump another dog....it's their language of telling the dog or person they're humping that they are the boss.

TohCS
Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2002, 8:04 AM

Post #9 of 17 (8398 views)
Shortcut

Ginl is right . It is a sign of dominance and even if a female dog have been spayed it will still do the same.
Sometimes they target towards people. Reason being they want to play, sex or dominance. They will clasp the owner by the arm or leg and start moving their bottom in that direction. This behaviour of targeting towards people should be discourage.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

kaerb

Nov 23, 2002, 8:44 AM

Post #10 of 17 (8377 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Dog confused about sex [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks alot, So it doesn't matter if she keeps doing this to the male right? As long as the male is ok with it, I think there is nothing I can do right now. Thank you everyone.

ashley
ALPHA

Dec 4, 2002, 11:00 PM

Post #11 of 17 (8346 views)
Shortcut

Halo!! I think is nothing to be worry cos b4 my chihuahua on 1st heat she still ok! But the 2nd time on heat she tend to jump to other female dog!Crazy But after i bring her go to do that thing she become ok! I think may be she know is the time she need it qua?? But for male puppy must becareful loh, cos one of my frend her Pomeranian use the pillow to do than job until that part hurt loh! Shocked so hope ur all enjoy to take care ur lovelly puppy !! Cos they always is cute for us !!!Cool
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

lazydaizy
New User

Apr 6, 2004, 7:23 PM

Post #12 of 17 (7495 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Dog confused about sex [In reply to] Can't Post

my female three yr old bichon frise and lhasa apso dog tries to hump our one female cat. i know she has been humped by a male cat but would that really affect her behaviours?Crazy

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

May 16, 2004, 8:48 PM

Post #13 of 17 (7340 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lazydaizy] Dog confused about sex [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure I think my female labrador and male boxers are weirder. The males don't know how to hump and they are both 3 and 4 yrs old. The female labrador is spayed and she humps the male boxers! My Shih Tzu is 10 yrs old and he humps my arm and tries to do it on my rabbits! I'm still confused as why my female labrador, Tammy humps and not the males....????

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

kitconnie78
ALPHA

May 18, 2004, 7:15 PM

Post #14 of 17 (7314 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Dog confused about sex [In reply to] Can't Post

Female dog hump other dog because they want to feel dominant and also to attract the other dog's attention. All my females will do that when they are near to on heat. Wink

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

May 21, 2004, 5:55 AM

Post #15 of 17 (7271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitconnie78] Dog confused about sex [In reply to] Can't Post

but my dog spayed aledi after puppyhood. She do like she's feeling high from it and she's not dominant.....the males are more dominant but they let her hump them....????

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

PSD
ALPHA

May 21, 2004, 7:05 PM

Post #16 of 17 (7256 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Dog confused about sex [In reply to] Can't Post

crazymouse,

Humping is an instinct and could happen due to several reasons amongs the most relevant being dominant show or sexual discovery or sensation or all of the mentioned. This is why some dogs will still continue to hump despited already spayed/neutered cause it makes them feel good somehow.

If this is something that makes u uncomfortable then u can stop it using some training related concepts. The dog now equates humping to feeling good so she continues doing tht. What u want the dog to start thinking that humping equates lightning from the sky going to shock her green.

Do u O/B them? if yes then use command to stop or at the worse use correction methods to stop it once n for all. Alternatively u may try coca-cola cans falling from the sky to surprise her everytime she does that but it requires some agility n finesse to excute that on your part while staying hidden.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

May 21, 2004, 8:09 PM

Post #17 of 17 (7252 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Dog confused about sex [In reply to] Can't Post

Ohh.... I've been scolding her and correcting whenever she does that. It's also very funny as she only does it to one male dog and not the other male dogs..... I'll try to cola cans when I see her in action. Thanks!

Oh, thanks PSD for your advice on the dominant forum!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my