Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog Sports, Schutzhund, Protection, Tracking,.....: Schutzhund & Protection Dogs:
Running/Jogging Routine

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 8, 2004, 7:08 PM

Post #26 of 49 (2166 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wildgunsr] Running/Jogging Routine [In reply to] Can't Post

A Schuthund dog works in a definte set of parameters. But a protection dog will need to discriminate for itself what is unusual/threat in its daily environment. There are some SchH dogs that are so friendly, I'm not sure you can't take him away...Wink

It is true that some point dogs are specifically trained this way. To the serious sports handler it is challenging enough to keep the dog under control from the intense helper distraction. They would not want that dog to be so concerned with every other tom, dick n harry in the field which would then be a liability to them instead. This is just what that divides sports dog and a protection dog. Good sports dogs (I dont mean point dogs) can be transfered into protection/service with some cross training.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 8, 2004, 8:22 PM

Post #27 of 49 (2163 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulynn] Running/Jogging Routine [In reply to] Can't Post

Meaning, the the dog that is purposely bread for this purpose. I guess i won't be able to find out then since both my dogs are mixed breeds. Anyway i'm only asking for the basics of a guarding dog from them. No more than that. I dont expect too much from them as i know how far can they go and all that.That's why i came here to ask and see whether my way of training them is correct. :)

Paulynn,

Please dont misunderstand me. When I say a dog purposely bread for this purpose I meant it in a way that the breeder selects the breeding goals based on the working drives as earlier mentioned. Mixed breeds can also become a great protection dog if they have the traits as earlier quoted. Therefore it would be good to get them evaluated by a person who knows what he is doing then u will know for sure. This is what I meant.

Your way of training is called prey work or it could just be play work instead which I have not seen so I wont be able to tell you in the forum. This is first step for a puppy development. Eventually a protection dog should be advanced into defensive work which u will then need a helper - stranger to the dog.

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

mhazman

Mar 8, 2004, 9:28 PM

Post #28 of 49 (2156 views)
Shortcut

Hi Paulynn,

Let me clarify a few things here, maybe can help your quest.

1. You need protection because the location you're in
is not safe.
2. You have two dogs which you would like to train for protection.

3. You understand the meaning of watch,guard/protection and sportsdog.

If you choose to ensure safety and security with the use of K9 then please get some experts to evaluate your dog whether they are suitable for the purpose.
If they are suitable then only you start training .
There are some Klang Valley ppl who likes protection training, maybe you can watch them train or join them if your dogs are up to it.

cheers Wink

Azman

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 9, 2004, 4:55 AM

Post #29 of 49 (2149 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mhazman] Running/Jogging Routine [In reply to] Can't Post

hehehehehe Azman,

I think u nailed it perfect this time....heheheheh. Paulynn, Azman is right. Why dont u join them one of these days and see how it develops from there. I think it is the best way.

PSD

wildgunsr
Dog Kichi

Mar 9, 2004, 5:30 AM

Post #30 of 49 (2148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Running/Jogging Routine [In reply to] Can't Post

LOLTongue

We'll never hear the end of it, LOLWink

wildgunsr
Dog Kichi

Mar 9, 2004, 5:43 AM

Post #31 of 49 (2148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Running/Jogging Routine [In reply to] Can't Post

You got me there mate Blush

Correct, there are just some differences in the quality of dogs which cannot be minimised/maximised by training or environment, which boils down to its genetic make-up.

PSD, I totally agree that REAL killer dogs are neurotic dogs, but from what I've gathered there are many many people out there, who do not understand dogs, even court of laws, that penalise a dog that bites/attack an intruder/unwelcomed guest/"innocent party" who 'in a moment of emergency/complacency' decided not to ring the door bell and enter a house/property, only to be attacked by a protection dog...

That's the preception that many have, and you'll be surprised...I've heard for myself what some respected individuals who supposedly deal with animals, incl. dogs, everyday have to say about dogs that are trained for protection....or even SchH...it's disgusting and shocking i tell you

(This post was edited by wildgunsr on Mar 9, 2004, 5:52 AM)

paulynn
ALPHA

Mar 9, 2004, 5:49 AM

Post #32 of 49 (2145 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD,mhazman] Running/Jogging Routine [In reply to] Can't Post

PSD- Oh no i did not misunderstand u at all. What i was trying to say that i knew what u meant and it'd be hard for me to check on his "identity" as i don't know whether he really does have some GSD in his body though he has the GSD black coat and furry tail. But anyway, i'll try the basics on Josie but not him. He's so lazy even when i'm trying to get him to play or practise whenever i train josie. but josie was really really good (to me ) today. She responded very well during the attack-the-cloth "training". This time i tried to make her to listen to my words properly and not take any chances to attack the cloth without my command and she did. I made her stay and took a few steps back and said "attack" and she ran like a wind and attack 100% on the cloth. Don't know whether it sounds like a game to both of you but she was crazy.i even pretended that i was running away but running up and down and she stills hold onto the cloth until i mentioned the word stop/drop. What say you?

azman- thanks will check on it. If not will just wait for the retired dogsfrom the gov.

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 10, 2004, 12:55 AM

Post #33 of 49 (2134 views)
Shortcut

Paulynn,

hehehe! I think there is just so much that u can do in a virtual helpline. To ensure we dont take any chances with wrong assumption as i have not seen your dog personally, really u have to look at getting some help here eventually if you want to go tht far then there must be another person doing the helper work.

From your description sounds like a nice dog. Nice play n maybe prey dog. These are important pre-requisite but have to test the nerve. How old is the dog by the way?

What u r doing is play work. Its a game to the dog n also u. Its altogether a different matter when a strange man in standing in place of the cloth. But nice start. Eventually u will need one stranger to do that so that the dog can overcome its defensive drive to bring on fight.

PSD

(This post was edited by PSD on Mar 10, 2004, 1:03 AM)

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 10, 2004, 1:25 AM

Post #34 of 49 (2128 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wildgunsr] Running/Jogging Routine [In reply to] Can't Post

Correct, there are just some differences in the quality of dogs which cannot be minimised/maximised by training or environment, which boils down to its genetic make-up.

I think u didnt get my meaning right.

PSD, I totally agree that REAL killer dogs are neurotic dogs, but from what I've gathered there are many many people out there, who do not understand dogs, even court of laws, that penalise a dog that bites/attack an intruder/unwelcomed guest/"innocent party" who 'in a moment of emergency/complacency' decided not to ring the door bell and enter a house/property, only to be attacked by a protection dog...

A good dog needs a good owner. The house or property do not have any business to be left unlocked n easily accessable in the first place. And a good protection dog will not bite on wrong entry, they bark n warn first unless being attacked at.

That's the preception that many have, and you'll be surprised...I've heard for myself what some respected individuals who supposedly deal with animals, incl. dogs, everyday have to say about dogs that are trained for protection....or even SchH...it's disgusting and shocking i tell you

respected???? ........ misinformed individual is the correct word to use.....lolTongue

PSD

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Mar 11, 2004, 9:15 AM

Post #35 of 49 (2106 views)
Shortcut

Ah...ok. I *think* I got it.So you want them to sort of bark in a threatening way?

Well, Tyson has different barks. 1 I found out was just a suspicious/curious bark where he would just stand his ground and bark. The other bark(pulling,growling etc) however...I'm still not sure. For this, I never trained Tyson. It just happened suddenly and caught me completely off guard. After any situation like this I would just praise him and assure him that he was doing the right thing.

If a dog has it in him, he would defend when he feels threatened. For the defence,usually the dogs are born with it. During training(civil agitation), it is "brought out" so to speak.

"if someone stopped me i want them to sense "dangeR" which i know they are able to but i want them to make the attackers know the danger and all, do u get what i mean now? "

Well, dogs don't exactly "sense" the danger. They read the strangers body language. Any strange body language and they will react(for trained dogs). PP dogs are taught to discriminate from what is normal body language and what is not. Of course not all attackers act strangely and not all those who act strangely are attackers.

You can? That's great LaughSmile How come they get a life after retirement but the dogs from the police force don't?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

paulynn
ALPHA

Mar 12, 2004, 1:59 AM

Post #36 of 49 (2098 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Running/Jogging Routine [In reply to] Can't Post

Police dogs too!! they retire at the age of 5-6 i think...very young dn't u think?

Well, i think Psd maybe right...that josie's responding to the attack word and all that training because it mgiht be a play work for her ...Hm...

but thanks for helping me out

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 15, 2004, 6:20 PM

Post #37 of 49 (2076 views)
Shortcut

paulynn,

I dont think Police dog in Malaysia retires at 5-6. 9-10 is more like it.

PSD

Khoobg
Webmaster

Mar 15, 2004, 7:31 PM

Post #38 of 49 (2074 views)
Shortcut

PSD,

The Police Trainer told me (during the K9 Day ) that their dogs generally retire at the age of seven.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 15, 2004, 8:04 PM

Post #39 of 49 (2073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Running/Jogging Routine [In reply to] Can't Post

Khoo,

7? Hmmm! Now that is interesting. I was having a diff impression from another person. I do know that 7 is the age they practise in Sin and also US. If I have a chance I will find out more about this and share it here in future once I have some confirmation. Thanks for sharing, its news to me. Worth investigating on.

PSD

(This post was edited by PSD on Mar 15, 2004, 8:23 PM)

mhazman

Mar 15, 2004, 10:16 PM

Post #40 of 49 (2063 views)
Shortcut

PSD,
Actually there are quite a number of police dogs who were retired at 5-6 yrs mainly due to HD.

cheers
Azman
P.S-- Nice dog in your avatar. So when can we see her/him ?Wink

boon
Doggyman

Mar 15, 2004, 11:32 PM

Post #41 of 49 (2060 views)
Shortcut

Hi Azman,

Guess u key between 5-6 or 9-10 is the HD....hahahaha

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 16, 2004, 5:51 AM

Post #42 of 49 (2050 views)
Shortcut

Azman,

Heheheh if it was due to HD then its a no choice case rather. But I'm interested to find out the official retirement age on the service dog that had no health issue. I had heard so much of budget thingy which seams to be a problem of the not being retired at 7. I would probably have some opportunity next month to find out. Can't wait actually Tongue

Azman, we should get together again sometime. Wonder where is Ludoc nowadays?

PSD

paulynn
ALPHA

Mar 16, 2004, 9:03 AM

Post #43 of 49 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

sorry i meant to say 7 ...not 5-6 :) btw..finally u've got an avatar...cute dog :) .

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 16, 2004, 6:02 PM

Post #44 of 49 (2041 views)
Shortcut

Paulynn,

Thanks. The pic was just taken couple of days ago during a practise session by a friend. Thankfully he was kind enough to do that otherwise I dont think I will ever bring out the camera....TongueBlush

PSD

paulynn
ALPHA

Mar 19, 2004, 12:20 AM

Post #45 of 49 (2029 views)
Shortcut

Wow..is that your dog then ?VEry sexy looking.

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 19, 2004, 6:26 AM

Post #46 of 49 (2021 views)
Shortcut

paulynn,

Hahahaha. U really think so? Wait until this fella pose for you.....lol...Tongue

PSD

paulynn
ALPHA

Mar 19, 2004, 7:13 AM

Post #47 of 49 (2018 views)
Shortcut

Hehe. YEs i do think so. Anyway regarding the previous discussions about me wanting my dogs to be guard dogs and all, i realized that nash is not really capable to be trained as one as he's not as daring and leading as josie eventhough both of them does not have the size of some working /guard dogs. Josie on the other hand is very brave and always leads Nash (though nash is older than her knowing that she's only a mere 10 months old pup!). So ive decided to focus on josie more than on nash but also giving nash equal basic trainnings :)

i hope i'm doing the right thing .. correct me if i'm not

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Apr 3, 2004, 4:55 AM

Post #48 of 49 (1998 views)
Shortcut

Hey girl,

sorry didn't reply any sooner. Been real busy.Unsure

7 yrs is pretty alright.but i thought the corporal or someone from the force told me the dogs would be destroyed?

anyway,how's josie doing?

and what's this i heard that u now hv a total of trois dogs?Tongue
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

PSD
ALPHA

Apr 5, 2004, 7:31 PM

Post #49 of 49 (1990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Running/Jogging Routine [In reply to] Can't Post

Khoo and everyone interested,

Was at the police kennel recently and seen some really serious dogs there. Retirement age are actually not a mandatory thing. The dogs sourced are as young as 10 months to 2 years old green. They would be trained and continue with their work as long as they are physically fit for it regardless of age. Only those showing physically defect will be retired from service. In other words, the dogs can continue beyond 7 years old as long as he it fit. Unfortunately, for security reasons none are for public adoption.

PSD

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my