Advice on beagle and mini Schnauzer

worm
Novice

Jan 17, 2004, 8:11 PM

Post #1 of 8 (1314 views)
Shortcut
Advice on beagle and mini Schnauzer Can't Post

Hi all,

After some thoughts, I think I am ready to get adopted y a dog. I am thinking of eitehr a Beagle (because I think they are cute wit their floppy ears and short hair) or a mini schnauzer because i read they don't shed and I have some tendency to be allergic. I am a working professional, living on my own in a small house. i work 8-5 but sometimes things gets a bit late. I am outdoory other wise. Are these dogs somewhat suitable? I have access to the beach and wilderness and want o train her to be my companion for walks and adventures outside. being not afraid of water is good! So, what do you think?Crazy
~ worm

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jan 19, 2004, 9:07 AM

Post #2 of 8 (1305 views)
Shortcut
Re: [worm] Advice on beagle and mini Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,Smile

Good on you for asking first before just going ahead and getting the dog. Most dog owners forget this part because they get too excited Wink

Anyway,do research on the breeds' temperaments and see for yourself whether or not u like them. Don't base your decision on just physical traits.

A short coated dog does not mean he sheds less. Believe it or not,they shed more. Just that their fur is shorter and less noticeable. That's all.

It depends what you do when you're outdoors. I'm not too sure abt their energy level/stamina as I hv nvr own any of these breeds.They seem pretty energetic though,but I think a beagle would hv more stamina than a miniature schnauzer and would be more suitable for your adventures.Hope the owner of both breeds will gv u more info on this.Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 20, 2004, 6:03 PM

Post #3 of 8 (1292 views)
Shortcut

Hi there!!

Good on you for doing research on the breeds first to see if they are suitable for your lifestyle... TongueTongue

Anyway, I don't have too much experience with both breeds but I have a friend who has a Beagle who remarked that they are really an active dog who loves lots of space. Tongue They have tremendous energy but tend to follow their nose alot, so you would have to train them to be more attentive to their surroundings. Tongue

I think that there are a few members who are able to help you out on the Beagle's behaviour and such... Tongue

Good luck!!

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

elizatye
K9 Senior

Jan 20, 2004, 6:36 PM

Post #4 of 8 (1291 views)
Shortcut

Hi, MS don't shed but they need grooming. You have to send them to groomer for full grooming every 6-8 weeks. You personally have to spend time to comb them. I comb my furkid at least 3-4 times per week.

Hope this will help to make your decision Smile.

Smile Eliza

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 20, 2004, 7:02 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1289 views)
Shortcut

Great Companion,
Walk with you,
Floppy ears,
Good swimmer,
love the wild and nature,
can be at home all by himself when u are away for work......

Sounds like you are looking for a golden retriever~Wink, perhaps, a Labrador (short hair).

for any breed,
all puppies.... are PUPPIES!
they need your time, your patient, training and space to exercise.

for the options that you've narrowed down,
well~ get a BEAGLE!Cool

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 23, 2004, 12:48 PM

Post #6 of 8 (1271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Advice on beagle and mini Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

[quote]Sounds like you are looking for a golden retriever~, perhaps, a Labrador (short hair).
[/quote]

no no, i think worm is lookin' for a golden retriever - remember, he/she has allergies - so u need a dog with less shedding :D...

anyway, i do agree that beagle fits the requirements better than a MS. they're so full of energy :o!

terenceg

Feb 4, 2004, 6:28 PM

Post #7 of 8 (1250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Advice on beagle and mini Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

beagle beagle beagle....

if you want them to swim, beagle is a good choice...other than GD.

have really seen a MS totally wet ? hahahahahha..they look like a over size rat.....mine does :)

~Not All that Glitters is Gold Not All that Wanders is Lost~

terenceg@streamyx.com

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 4, 2004, 7:30 PM

Post #8 of 8 (1248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [terenceg] Advice on beagle and mini Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

hey can a MS swim???

seen one wet before (and yes they look like HUGE rats) but never seen one swim before :/

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my