Dogs and Babies

alicia
Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2002, 6:40 PM

Post #1 of 12 (2024 views)
Shortcut
Dogs and Babies Can't Post

Dear members,

This is quite convoluted so thanks in advance for bearing with me.
  1. How many of you have your dogs living indoors?
  2. Do they sleep on your bed too?
  3. Do you have children?
  4. What is the relationship like between mutt and brat?
  5. Which came first; mutt or brat?
  6. Did order of appearance affect subsequent relationship?

The reason I am asking these questions is because, as many of you will know, I have two very spoilt mutts. Now, if everything goes well, a brat will join the equation. We hope that things will go smoothly but I think the advice, tips and the experience of other forum members will go a long way towards helping us achieve the ideal.

note: Sheeri and Monty are good with toddlers (my cousins) and older kids (neighbours, other cousins) but seem quite leery of kids between 6-8. Maybe these are naughtier?
Alicia Ling Horsley

petepicure.wordpress.com/
pinkpetfood.blogspot.com/

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."Dante

May
Old Hand

Nov 19, 2002, 6:55 PM

Post #2 of 12 (2021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alicia] Dogs and Babies [In reply to] Can't Post

My dog lives indoor since the day we brought her back. At night she will sleeps with my Mum on her bed and she's very smart too......she'll shee shee first before she follows my Mum to her bedroom. In the middle of the night my Mum will bring her downstair and she will shee shee in her crate b4 returning to the bedroom. So no accident happen in the bedroom.

We don't have any small children in the house but my dog likes children (neighbours) very much. She loves to play with them.

My Mum is considering to get another dog but maybe later. We don't have any preference as long as it's a long coated dog.

jessnst
Novice

Jan 3, 2003, 1:14 PM

Post #3 of 12 (1992 views)
Shortcut

Ello,

My cuz in US has two nine year old dogs. Him and his wife have just been blessed with a daughter a few months ago. The older dog can be a bit grumpy after her crying at nite but apparently both dogs take to the lil one very well. One of my ballet teachers had a ten year old labrador when she had her first child. She used to tell us that the first thing her son sees in the morning is her dog who licks the baby in the morning! Smile

Jess

lulugurl
ALPHA

Jan 3, 2003, 7:21 PM

Post #4 of 12 (1978 views)
Shortcut

i live in a apartment therefor my furkid will be indoorTongue and i also allowe her to sleep on my bed. hse's very clean because she'll always wipe her paws and backside everytime after she uses the toilet Laugh
my dog is very ok with ppl espicially kids for example my couz with is still in primary and nursey school.
i dont really think that having a dog will affect any of our relationship which might just go vice versa and bond us together moreSmile

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 3, 2003, 9:29 PM

Post #5 of 12 (1967 views)
Shortcut

I think the best is for the adults to teach the children how to treat and handle a dog properly...as you know some children can be quite cruel to dogs, pulling their ears and tails and stuff....some dogs will tolerate it nicely while others may snap....as what you mentioned 6 - 8 years are an active age for kids and these kids shd be taught on how to properly treat a dog and this shd be done as early as possible.

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 5, 2003, 9:51 AM

Post #6 of 12 (1945 views)
Shortcut

HI ALicia,

Looks like we'll be facing your problem sometime in the near future... we are thinking fo kids in the next 2 years, but for now, our pups are like our kids, both sleep with us. Not so worried about Brinkley the golden with kids, she is ultra friendly, but Luckey is reallly possessive, she hates me even touching other dogs... goes berzerk if i carry brinkley!

Had a New Year do and this 1 and a half year old boy reallly wanted to play with luckey even though she was growling and abrking at him, in the end we lost our nerve and had to put luckey away in a room. She seems ok with adults and with little girls though. (she was fine with our friend's two 9 year old girls).

so i guess must be careful with kids and dogs together, and must teach the kid to play right with the dog and not to play rough.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 5, 2003, 10:53 PM

Post #7 of 12 (1938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Dogs and Babies [In reply to] Can't Post

Depending on the size and temperament of the dogs.. not all dogs can be handle by children vice versa. That's why it's best to understand their nature, character and temperament which is suitable on your lifestyle before taking them home... But yes, children MUST learn how to handle dogs at an early stage.. I've seen some your kids 'torturing' the poor puppies and their parents just look on... gosh!

alicia
Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2003, 3:21 AM

Post #8 of 12 (1924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Dogs and Babies [In reply to] Can't Post

hey all,

thanks for all the feedback. i will try to keep your advise in mind as things progress. att the moment, i'm just very sleepy all the time and as a result have not been walking them very much. both have put on a couple of pounds and don't look as toned. LOL. My family thinks that they look less kesian, i think we're all getting fat together.

am surfing to find stuff about introductions and things like that. if you come across anything, please share.

btw, the wierdest thing about being pregnant is that everything smells really yucky, so i haven't fed them for two months now. and jon also has to pick up all the poos coz pregnant women are NOT supposed to go near that stuff. So I am like a princess lah. No need to do any nasty stuff, LOL. poor husbands though.
Alicia Ling Horsley

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."Dante

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 9, 2003, 8:41 AM

Post #9 of 12 (1919 views)
Shortcut

Hey Alicia,

First of all congrats on your new upcoming addition to the family...how exciting for u! I read somewhere before (probably in one of the jrt sites lol) that before your new born baby is due, it's good to put on baby powder and stuff on yourself, what u will normally put on your baby so that your dogs will start getting used to the smell and when the baby arrives, the scent won't be very new to them....some ppl even go to the extent of playing sounds of babies crying to let the dogs get used to it.....haha so u managed to get away frm your doggie chores eh? poor hubby then Laugh

lulugurl
ALPHA

Jan 16, 2003, 3:38 AM

Post #10 of 12 (1892 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Dogs and Babies [In reply to] Can't Post

just some tip from a website:

Dogs and cats can live harmoniously with new babies, so long as owners use common sense and supervise them properly. However, parents are often under pressure to give up their pets. The National Canine Defence League has discovered that concerns relating to children and babies account for 15% of cases of dogs being given up to their centres.

Dogs need to learn that there are new restrictions on where they can go in the house, and they should be taught this before the arrival of the baby. This means that the babyís arrival is not linked to a loss of privileges. Carrying round soft toys can help get dogs used to babies being carried around. Owners should remove dog toys that appear similar to childrenís toys. Mothers-to-be can also invite friends round with babies, to accustom dogs to the way babies smell and sound, and they can allow a dog to smell clothing from a hospital-born baby, prior to that baby coming home.

Owners need to reduce the time spent with both cats and dogs before babies arive, since otherwise jealousy is more likely to occur when owners have to spend time on their babies, and canít spoil their pets as much. Neither dogs, nor cats should be left unsupervised with babies.
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

alicia
Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2003, 5:37 PM

Post #11 of 12 (1886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] Dogs and Babies [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks. i have read similar things but i don't know anyone who has a baby, and the few that do would rather throw their babies in a pit of vipers than bring them near dogs.

i am also quite unsure about reducing time spent with my pooches. i might end up resenting baby...LOL
Alicia Ling Horsley

johnaricka
Novice

Mar 15, 2003, 10:29 PM

Post #12 of 12 (1829 views)
Shortcut

Our pup lives indoors. She does not sleep in our bed but is allowed on the couch. We have two kids (nine and five years old) and I watch year old twin boys a couple of times a week. I read somewhere that with in regard to babies, it is important to include the dog in what you are doing with the baby. It reminds me of what I had to do when I had my son so my first born would not get jealous. I love on the twins and the dog in front of the other. I do not exclude the pup or the babies. It makes for a very long day but they are starting to get along. She will tolerate them and when she has had enough she will ask to go outside to play or to lay in the sun. I was originally worried about the combination. The pup gets excited when they are playing and she does not like when they cry. She will go comfort them but when she cant she will put her front paws on them and then bark. I have to watch that!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my