Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Show and Championship:
Stacking

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 19, 2002, 6:09 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1570 views)
Shortcut
Stacking Can't Post

What do you think is the best way to teach a 4 month old puppy how to stack? I've been trying to teach Luckey but not with much success... I tried to put her on a table so she feels a bit insecure, but ive been training her in agility so she'll happily jump off a table if not held on properly!

She even bit me when i tried to hold her in place (not hard, but enough for me to let go). What she does is try to sit down. The only way i can get her to stand nicely is if her front legs are separated from her back legs on 2 different stool, but that doesnt mean she'll stand like that if she doesnt have the stools.

Anyone can help? thanks so much Smile

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 26, 2003, 8:22 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1530 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Stacking [In reply to] Can't Post

The proper way of stacking a dog.

1) Put the choke chain at the top of the throat, not at the withers. Hold it high up...not choking...but firmly to keep your dog's neck up..steady the head. The head shouldn't be able to move left, right, up, down.It should just stay like a statue. If the chain doesn't work, grab the neck from the bottom and steady it.

2) When a dog's head is held firmly, it daren't move, bcos it won't know where it's legs are and if it moves...he might loose balance. To control a dog, control it's head. If your dog does move, just push it slightly at the rear and make it off balance, while still keeping the head steady.And give the command "Stay". After about 5 seconds, reward and praise him/her.

3) Keep the training short, around 5 mins or less will do. You do not want to destroy the dogs...making him hate the show ring.

In Reply To
What do you think is the best way to teach a 4 month old puppy how to stack? I've been trying to teach Luckey but not with much success... I tried to put her on a table so she feels a bit insecure, but ive been training her in agility so she'll happily jump off a table if not held on properly!

She even bit me when i tried to hold her in place (not hard, but enough for me to let go). What she does is try to sit down. The only way i can get her to stand nicely is if her front legs are separated from her back legs on 2 different stool, but that doesnt mean she'll stand like that if she doesnt have the stools.

Anyone can help? thanks so much Smile

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 26, 2003, 9:09 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1529 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Altana_Mystique] Stacking [In reply to] Can't Post

ive managed to teach luckey how to stand still and pose in some kind of stack (like in the books)... but the new problem I am now facing is that she doesnt like strangers touching her mouth, esp trying to open it to look at her teeth... she even bit my obedience trainer! Looks like she is not cut out to be a show dog Unsure pity coz I think she couldve done well...

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 26, 2003, 9:14 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Stacking [In reply to] Can't Post

To steady a dog while the judge is examining the teeth......You steady the head by pulling the chain up the neck.....and the other hand...you place palm down on top of the neck....just below the skull and apply pressure gripping it.....this way...no way can the dog move its head.

And to prevent your dog from biting ppl.....it must have a gd temperanment....bring it out and socialize more.....and whoever comes over to your dog to examine teeth...pass them a bait....and let them feed your dog the bait....As a result...your dog knows that it will be given a piece of food whenever a stranger comes touching his/her mouth...Just practice... Wink

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 26, 2003, 9:26 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Altana_Mystique] Stacking [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah well, her dad is a biter... he draws blood when he bites, and i think part of her bitey thing is from her genes from her dad. SHe doesnt draw blood and doesnt bite very hard, and she will give you fair warning before sinking her teeth by growling first.

Have been making a big effort ot get her socialized... she likes her obedience classmates, but still very wary of comepltely new dogs. And strangers she is ok with if they are good friends but if not she is not like brinkley, she will not bother to make friends.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my