Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
hanging the dog takes 10 mins

silky
Novice

Nov 19, 2002, 1:40 AM

Post #1 of 15 (2522 views)
Shortcut
hanging the dog takes 10 mins Can't Post

I was told a dog will takes 10 mins. to die if hung by the neck because their neck is so strong. I'm not going to hang my dog to test it out but just curious is it correct?

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 19, 2002, 6:04 AM

Post #2 of 15 (2516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [silky] hanging the dog takes 10 mins [In reply to] Can't Post

i dont think you'll find anyone in this forum willing to try.

alicia
Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2002, 6:21 PM

Post #3 of 15 (2498 views)
Shortcut

what a macabre question!Mad
Alicia Ling Horsley

petepicure.wordpress.com/
pinkpetfood.blogspot.com/

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."Dante

wkser
ALPHA

Nov 19, 2002, 6:40 PM

Post #4 of 15 (2495 views)
Shortcut

hi,
where did you get this question?.....

regards
kangser and nous

silky
Novice

Nov 19, 2002, 10:16 PM

Post #5 of 15 (2489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser] hanging the dog takes 10 mins [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry. I'm not crazy. I refrain from eating shark fin soup, let alone eating dog meat and hanging the dog.

I seen dogs on training using choker leash which the trainer demonstrate by pulling the neck at a great force, almost choke me to tears. So I ask the trainer don't it will break their neck? He went on to said their neck is so strong that it will takes them 10 mins. to be suffocated if hang. So I'm posting this question just to authenticate the statement of the trainer.

Anyway, I'm against training using choker leash though it maybe an established and effective method. I read in one article that if done often enough, it will actually hurt their throat. The dog has no choice to protest accept to forcibly do as required of them. I still think the gentle praise and treats works.

So for those using choker leash, please think again.

wkser
ALPHA

Nov 20, 2002, 12:15 AM

Post #6 of 15 (2482 views)
Shortcut

hi silky,

sorry for the misunderstanding......Wink.....i train my nous without using choke train.......and he is very obedient.....WinkFrown

regards
kangser and nous

boon
Doggyman

Nov 20, 2002, 2:05 AM

Post #7 of 15 (2475 views)
Shortcut

Hi SIlky,

I agreed with u, but i tried to use the other type of chain for Bonney (my yellow lab) during her first lesson in Japanese Garden (MKA Training Area in Penang), the trainer ask me to get a choke chain next time i come for the training. So i gotta follow, since all doggies there are using the choke chain as well.

But i so worry about Bonney throat, because she is hyper and she will be super existed when there are doggies around her.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

kbs
Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2002, 2:32 AM

Post #8 of 15 (2474 views)
Shortcut

Hi Silky,

Snuffy is attending the training at Padang Merbuk. All MKA training require the trainers to use choke chain on their doggy. I guess the way how the handler use the choke chain is to whether or not we will hurt our dog, we don't pull our dog with the choke chain, but just a very fast and short jerk will do the trick together with a very loud and firm "NO" whenever they are stuborn. And the short jerk will normally used more frequently in the beginning, and after awhile, the dog will eventually will perform automatically when told with proper practice. Most of the time, I am walking snuffy with lose leash even with the choke chain. For me, the choke chain did work for my Beagle.. I have tried other method like praising them when they did something good/correct, this normally work perfectly at home, the moment she is out there, waa laa without the choke chain that's it.. I won't be able to find her anymore as she will travel everywhere with her nose no matter how I try to call her, even with treats won't work.

Regards,
KBS

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 20, 2002, 4:04 AM

Post #9 of 15 (2471 views)
Shortcut

choke chains are ok as long as you use them properly and put on the correct way so the chain releases the minute the dog releases... all our big dogs are on choke chains. when i put juno on a regular collar once, she pulled so much she was so excited that she slipped right out of her collar (ok i prob. put it on too loose).

I also find my doggies like the choker better coz their previous leather collars irritated their skin

but i wouldn't really recommend choke collars for pups... Luckey is still on a nylon collar with bell!

alicia
Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2002, 7:18 PM

Post #10 of 15 (2460 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] hanging the dog takes 10 mins [In reply to] Can't Post

Choke chains should only be used for training. I learned this the hard way. A few years back, all our dogs (at my parents home) wore choke chains as collars. Then one day, we noticed that Honey was really subdued and unhappy. She only has three legs due to an accident with her previous owner. We then noticed that she had caught her remaining front leg in her choke chain somehow. Suffice to say it was horrible and the vets were quite annoyed with us. They told us that choke chains should NEVER be left on any dog. Poor Honey!

Now, all our dogs wear adjustable nylon collars. Choke chains only go on the really boisterous ones. My two have never and will never wear one. I would rather get them accustomed to a head halter which is more humane. Btw, leather irritates because it can go mouldy, another reason why nylon is better. They are cheaper, so the dogs can have variety and they are machine washable. Just put them in the sock bag first.
Alicia Ling Horsley

petepicure.wordpress.com/
pinkpetfood.blogspot.com/

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."Dante

kaerb

Nov 20, 2002, 8:59 PM

Post #11 of 15 (2453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alicia] hanging the dog takes 10 mins [In reply to] Can't Post

hey alicia, could it be that the choke chain was too loose for Honey? Coz if it doesn't fit properly, the dog might get tangled or irrtates the dog, otherwise choke chains are okay for them to wear. But everyone has their preferences, all of our dogs wear choke chains. We tried different collars for them, like you said, the leather ones irritates their skin and the nylon ones are too flimsy. We find that the dogs are quite smart, with nylon collars, they always help each other bite their collars until they are free of the collar. So, choke chain is the best choice for us...they can't possibly bite through metal, although one of the choke chain actually broke coz the male was too strong and pulled too hard until the chain snapped.

(This post was edited by kaerb on Nov 20, 2002, 9:01 PM)

wkser
ALPHA

Nov 20, 2002, 9:39 PM

Post #12 of 15 (2450 views)
Shortcut

hi all,
if not mistaken another name for choke chain is training chain.......i did an experiment before i put a choke chain on my arm and gave a choke.....woh! that really painful imagine if that a neck or throat of the furkid...i think choke chain is best used during training only when you want full command with them.......

regards
kangser and nous

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Nov 21, 2002, 12:09 AM

Post #13 of 15 (2442 views)
Shortcut

I use a choke chain on my dogs. Now I'm a bit worried about training my pup because she's not exactly as strong as my other dogs. I mean, they're large breed dogs, so I needed the choke chain to be able to reprimand them, but with Mocca, she'll mature to about the size of a small CockerSpaniel, so I might pull too hard at the leash.

-= Tisha =-

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 21, 2002, 6:12 AM

Post #14 of 15 (2430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] hanging the dog takes 10 mins [In reply to] Can't Post

Dont know how small your Mocca is now... but i don't think they harm dogs that much, although I don't use one on Luckey yet coz she is still small enough for me to control with a regular collar...

but we use them on all our big dogs, and they don't seem to have a problem. Their choke chains rarely tighten up coz they are the right size, so the loose end doesnt hang down from the weight of the ring or anything... does help when Juno gets over boisterous when out!

lisachew

Nov 21, 2002, 7:05 PM

Post #15 of 15 (2416 views)
Shortcut

I agreed that it will really take 10 minutes for the dogs to be choke to death.

Well, I came to know of this when once I watched the SHOCKING ASIA vcd. One of the chapter was about Thai ppl eating dogs. And that shows how they kill and slaugtered them to be cook.

It was so sad and too overwhelming for me where I was so sad and no mood for the whole day after that show. For those who really cannot take it surely will off it the minute you saw the first move.

Well, what they first did was to choke them to death. And that really take forever. They only manage to make dog unconscious but not kill them. So by the time when they slaughtered the dog, that dog actually woke up suffering.

You really can cry out loud while watching that. This type of show should let those who eat dog meat to watch. then they will surely hv some sense of guiltyness before thinking of eating!!! Mad
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my