Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
She's so afraid to be outside...

A Friend
Dog Kichi

Jan 15, 2004, 3:09 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1086 views)
Shortcut
She's so afraid to be outside... Can't Post

My 6-month old puppy is so afraid when she goes out. I put a harness and a leash on her and took her out of the house, and for the first time placed her on the ground (outside). She was so afraid she wouldn't even move, even when I tugged the leash softly. She just sat there for two whole minutes. When I saw her afraid, I just cuddled her and carried her back in.

What should I do to help her enjoy her evening walks?

--------------------
SHERMAN YL KUEK
Father to Charis & Chayim

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 15, 2004, 7:27 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [A Friend] She's so afraid to be outside... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Much as it is natural for us to cuddle our puppies when they appear afraid ... that might not be the best thing to do ... Unsure ... Cuddling the pup (which is a form of praise & treat) when she is a little scared (whether in new environment or faced with a new experience) can actually encourage her to continue the behaviour - because your cuddle encourages your the pup to believe that her behaviour (of being afraid) is appropriate ...

Compulsion or reprimand, when a dog is anxious is also perhaps not the ideal solution ... if we force our dogs to do something which they fear - we usually end up increasing the fear and stress our dogs are experiencing.

Perhaps you can try the "desensitising and reconditioning approach" ... whereby you gently teach your pup that the "outside" is nothing to be anxious about - and that it is actually lots of fun to go outside ...

Please check this thread ... http://www.puppy.com.my/...conditioning;#108691

The method set out there can easily be modified to suit your pup & situation ... The basic idea is to show your pup that it's not only safe to go outside - it's also FUN ... and to introduce the outside to your pup gradually without increasing anxiety or stress (for your pup or you ... Tongue)

For example: You can play with your pup, just at the entrance or door ... use lots of praise & treats ... treat the whole situation as play & fun ... and then slowly encourage her to go out of the house on her own ... Let your imagination go - and am sure you will find lots of ways to encourage your pup positively ... The key is when you reward, praise or treat your pup - it must be a direct consequence of your pup exhibiting a positive behaviour and not a negative behaviour ... You can also try the "jackpot treat" as reinforcement ... (described in this thread: http://www.puppy.com.my/...tring=jackpot;#66455)

Puppies also go through various "fear periods" ... check this thread ... www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=100133;search_string=fear%20periods;#100133 ... And many pups experience a fear period during their 6 to 8month ...

Cheers ... and good luck Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Jan 15, 2004, 7:32 PM)

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 17, 2004, 8:14 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [A Friend] She's so afraid to be outside... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi friend,

you should encourage her to walk by bringing in more FUN to her. Let her know that.... walking is FUN!
bring along her favourite treats or toys with you when u walk her out.
maybe a ball (tennis ball) would do. If she likes to play with the ball, then you could let her chase the ball outdoor, at least let her get used to the environment and road pavement.
Perhaps, you could bring her to the park, then play with her in the park. let her get used to the grass.... park ppl, or maybe those passing by cars. maybe the first few times u broughther out, she heard the cars passing by, she get scared.....

when she started to show interest to walk out, do praise her. encourage her.

good luck!

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my