Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Eye Care and Conditions:
Frequent Eye's discharge

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 14, 2004, 8:49 AM

Post #1 of 8 (5435 views)
Shortcut
Frequent Eye's discharge Can't Post

Tiger, the Bullmastiff, 7 yr-old, recenlt has quite frequent "abnormal" eyes discharge, almost every hour after wiping his eyes, can see the discharge appear again. Treating the problem with an ophthalmic ointment called "Terramycin" (an oxytetracycline hydrochloride with polymyxin B sulfate).

what could be the possible reason?
(the discharge looks normal to me, as it is just normal color, normal "density" but jsut that it appear too frequent).

then we suspect it could be arise from ears infection.
Found that his ears are "oily' like with WAX. clean them everyday, still..... oily. Treating him with Otomax (gentamicin sulfate USP; betamethasone valerate, USP; and clotrimazole, USP Oilment); and another anti-parasitaire stuff called Oridermyl (for Auricilar infections due to bacteria, yeast, and parasites in dogs, external otitis).

and since that both Tiger's ears and eyes are infected, could it be caused by the NOSE? i mean.... allerygy due to short nose? \
to me, ears, eyes, nose and throat are all link to each other, so if either one is having problem will then lead to another problem to exist.

Please advise.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

PSD
ALPHA

Jan 14, 2004, 6:16 PM

Post #2 of 8 (5425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Frequent Eye's discharge [In reply to] Can't Post

Mack,

The infection issue u should continue to address it.

I was told that Dr. Goodpet has one excellent product for eye. Eye C I think. U should try this supliment to help him out. Try it and let us know the results.

Rgds.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 14, 2004, 8:07 PM

Post #3 of 8 (5422 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Frequent Eye's discharge [In reply to] Can't Post

sometimes the eyes infection could be due to the untreated ears infection, or maybe allergic nose... i jsut wish to know the possible root cause, anyway, will get a hosue call vet service today for Tiger.

ya, Dr, GoodPet sounds good, will give it a try but have to listen to the vet first.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 15, 2004, 7:58 PM

Post #4 of 8 (5413 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

Absolutely correct ... the eye, nose and ears are connected and often an infection in one can either spread or affect the other ...

But without seeing dog or severity of discharge ... cannot say whether normal or abnormal ...

Clear but frequent discharge is better than thick "puss-like" discharge but both require early diagnosis and treatment ... "tetra & sufla " based ointments are antibacterial based ... Will suggest you take the dog to a good vet (if you haven't done so already) ... Except for basic maintenance and unless reasonably experienced, will not suggest using home remedies for ear or eye infections ...

Cheers Smile

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 16, 2004, 8:39 PM

Post #5 of 8 (5408 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Frequent Eye's discharge [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your input, SKSmile

Did a house call 2 days ago. the vet said plastic surgery on Tiger's eye-lids is a MUST. erm..... diagnosed... but i couldn't remember the "term" of the eyes' disease. Mmm.... eye lids over grown and get inwards to the eye balls, now with frequent dischagr, later will dry out and go blind!!!

My uncle is going to let Tiger have the surgery, not ER, but after CNY and after my aunty give birthWink so... hope everything will be fine on Tiger soon!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 17, 2004, 2:13 AM

Post #6 of 8 (5401 views)
Shortcut

Okay ...

Kinda suspected - from your description - it wasn't a situation that required antibiotics ...

Good to know that remedy is available ...

Cheers

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 17, 2004, 5:27 PM

Post #7 of 8 (5398 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Frequent Eye's discharge [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmmm????
I don't think i've mentioned about "antibiotics" in my previous posts~Crazy
no. the vet didn't prescribe any medicine to Tiger,
the chemicals/oilments that i've described before were ingredients from the oilments my uncle used to apply on Tiger. I was trying to list them out so to see if they are the right things to apply before we consulted the vet~Smile

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 17, 2004, 6:10 PM

Post #8 of 8 (5394 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

"... "Terramycin" (an oxytetracycline hydrochloride with polymyxin B sulfate) ..."

If I am not mistaken ... terramycin is an antibiotic and sulfas also have antibiotic action ...

And after operation, the doggie is gonna have eyes of a movie star ... Angelic ...

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Jan 17, 2004, 6:46 PM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my