Post #1 of 8 (978 views)
Shortcut
Few stuffs I need to know before getting a dog Can't Post

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 14, 2004, 4:59 AM

Post #2 of 8 (975 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessica_klk17] Few stuffs I need to know before getting a dog [In reply to] Can't Post

FIRST and foremost,

ask yourself:
what do you want?
(what breed/size/etc you think that best suit your life style?"

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

jessica_klk17
New User

Jan 14, 2004, 5:21 AM

Post #3 of 8 (971 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Few stuffs I need to know before getting a dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hehe...first of all sorry for the previous mail.Something stupid i did went wrong and ended up posting an empty mail.

Well,I thought of getting a Jack Russell Terrier but I have a few doubts. So I hope I can get a few answers here. I heard that the JRTs are rare breeds in Malaysia and they are hard to get. Even if i manage to get one it's gonna be expensive.Is that true?And where can I possibly get a JRT?Would it be more advisable to get one from petshops or breeders?How much would it at least cost me to get a JRT?Is there any procedures i need to go through in order to keep a dog?And can i know what are the procedures?I have two dogs back in my hometown Alor Setar,but my mum's the one doing all the job. So this would be my first time taking care of a dog under my responsibilities that's why I'm asking all of thisSmile.And I'm a student by the way.Glad to receive reply though i posted nothing :) but thanks neways.

Khoobg
Webmaster

Jan 14, 2004, 6:14 AM

Post #4 of 8 (967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessica_klk17] Few stuffs I need to know before getting a dog [In reply to] Can't Post

JRT is not a rare breed in Malaysia anymore. Price is normally less than 2K. Obviously it is best to ge one directly from the breeder. Most important of all, do some research to see if JRT suit your life style before decide to get one.

Cheers

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

nathalie
Doggyman

Jan 14, 2004, 7:37 AM

Post #5 of 8 (963 views)
Shortcut

JRT is an intelligent dog but at the same time they might be hyperactive n sometimes demanding...u should really do a reseach...u have to be able to tolerate a hyper active and sometimes yappy dog.

good luck Smile

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 14, 2004, 7:54 AM

Post #6 of 8 (962 views)
Shortcut

Oh yes, khoobg has answered your questions.
it's not a rare breed in m'sia but we don't have much members owning JRT in puppycom, maybe u could help in contribute on the numbers~WinkTongue

regardless of the breed, please reconsider what is your lifestyle, then search around to see if any breed suit your needs and lifestyle, from a few options, choose the one that favor you. Dogs are to be with us for at least 10 years, it's a COMMITMENT. Spend some time doing research better than u find out any conflicts later.

So, hope you don't mind to share more with us about your "lifestyle", then only we can commend if JRT best fit you~
you know.... not only that we choose the breed to keep, the dogs also need to choose if you are good enough for him to follow u home!Cool

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jan 17, 2004, 3:14 AM

Post #7 of 8 (943 views)
Shortcut

Hi,Smile

Glad that you are doing your part of a responsible owner. Asking before getting the dog.Many would just buy the dog because it's cute.

As the others hv already said, it's not a rare breed. Definitely not as popular as the GSD,GR or Rott, but not rare. Not exacty sure abt the price but I think the average is 1.5 k? Not too sure.You'll hv to ask the JRT owners. You can "contact" them at the terrier section.

Procedure 1: Learn/Research abt the breed and whether or not it suits your lifestyle. Know abt their tendency towards certain health problems. A good JRT would hv a very low chance of getting health problems but putting 2 healthy JRT's together would not gurantee all healthy pups. You mentioned that you are a student...how many hours will the dog be alone? Hv u got a suitable place for them to stay when you are out? Will anyone be at home? etc.

Procedure 2: Once you are sure of things and know abt the breed. Time to look for a good breeder.Definitely better to get one from a breeder than a pet shop. You could go to dog shows ans try to talk to JRT exhibitors or try calling MKA for a list of breeders. You could also talk to the JRT owners.

Procedure 3: Visit various breeders and check out how they handle/keep the pups. Be aware of puppy millers/irresponsible breeders. It's going to the hard to resist the heart melting faces of the pups. But it's going to be your pup and will be yours for the next decade or so.

I think that's abt it....if I missed out anything...hope the other members would point it out. There really isn't any "procedure" u hv to go through. Just education,education,education.Cool

Good Luck with the JRT and all the best. Any more questions just feel free to ask. We will try our best to answers your queries.

Hope I didn't sound like a nag. lol.Laugh
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

bluetoise2020
Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2004, 5:26 PM

Post #8 of 8 (935 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Few stuffs I need to know before getting a dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't forget to read other topics in this forum. If you are planning to buy a house, I suggest you to read the "house design" created by me, in this forum.

No Holds Barred 4everLove - my blog
My chit chat corner

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my