Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Beagle Puppy Training

blackberrygummi
New User

Nov 17, 2002, 7:59 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1451 views)
Shortcut
Beagle Puppy Training Can't Post

Hi, I have a six month old beagle puppy. Her name is Tapioca Jane, and she's terribly sweet- except that I've had her for three months now, and she hasn't shown any improvment in behavior the entire time. She has an aversion to using the bathroom outside- she will specifically hold it for hours at a time until she can go on the carpet. She eats everything in sight, including her own feces. She doesn't respond to strong verbal commands, light spankings, or being caged. She even tries to chew on the wall- not cords or anything, the actual flat wall. She seems perfectly intelligent- she learned the sit command immediately because she realized that she got something out of it. Usually when she gets into things she shouldn't, I can call her name and she'll stop, look at me, and then turn back to what she was doing. I've tried the passive method of not punishing her for going to the bathroom inside, only rewarding her for going outside, with no results. I tried paper training and she tore the paper to shreds and ate it. I try crate training and she goes in the crate. I really have no idea what's left. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks very much,
Miriam

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Nov 17, 2002, 11:12 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackberrygummi] Beagle Puppy Training [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like you have a problem with establishing who's the boss. Your pup seems to think that she's the boss in the family, and therefore, is acting accordingly (not responding to voice commands etc). Or perhaps your voice is not stern enough? Your voice has to be deep and authoritive. I admit I'm sometimes embarassed to use voice commands in public because some people might think I abuse my dogs or something Blush.

There are a few exercises which can be used to enable you to become the "pack leader". There are countless books which address this problem, and I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information on the net. There are a few experienced dog trainers on this forum, perhaps they will be able to help you. Good luck! Smile

-= Tisha =-

kbs
Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2002, 2:22 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1423 views)
Shortcut

Hi Blackberrygummi,

First of all, welcome another Beagle owner to the forum.

I am having currently a female 14 months old Beagle (Snuffy) and a 7 weeks old male Beagle pup (Archie). For my 14 months old female Beagle, the chewing did not really stop just until she was about 1 year old and what I did was buying her lot's and lot's of chew toys and a very firm "NO" whenever you caught them in the act of chewing something they are not allowed and in return immediately exchange the object with a toy or something. The best advise is still, hide and put away those things you don't want them to destroy for the moment.

For toilet trainng, snuffy loves to do it on the carpet too before she was toilet trained. I had so much "fun" with thatCrazy so I decided to get her a doggy gate and covered the entire flooring with newspaper, she tear those papers into pieces in the beginning, but after awhile it gets better. When they do pee/poo on the paper, praise them like crazy. (When you let them out from the crate/gate, monitor them closely and the moment you sense that it is pee/poo time, bring them back to the paper immediately.. after a few times doing so, you can test them to see if they know how to go back to the paper to do their business) Snuffy was toilet trained after about 2 weeks of constant monitoring in the gate.

Currently, I am having some problem on the little pup too, he seems to be more stubborn and he is not so attached to me like how snuffy does. And whenever he feels like doing his business, he alot of times doesn't even sniff and just did it straight away. There was one time he pee even while lying down, and once he is done, he just climb few steps forwards in order for the pee not to "kena" him.

Beagle is a very intelligent breed but they are known to have a brain of their own.. To train them takes extra patience (They are at the lowest trainability in some books I read).. And they just know how to melt our heart with those pathetic looks of theirs when they did something wrong.. making us donno even know how to scold or punish them..

Regards,
KBS

blackberrygummi
New User

Nov 20, 2002, 9:17 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kbs] Beagle Puppy Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you all very much- even though it's frustrating trying to work with Tapi, it's encouraging to hear that we're not the only ones having this problem. She's definitely an intelligent puppy- she's learned to climb the baby gates we put up and now she can climb into chairs and onto desks to get what she wants! But she's definitely a sweet puppy, so we'll just keep trying.

TohCS
Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2002, 6:12 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1411 views)
Shortcut

Glad to hear there is another beagle owner in this forum. I own a 9 months old beagle name Belle.

I agree with KBS (by the way KBS glad to learn you got another pup) that beagles are more difficult to train. They are intelligent but beagles being beagles have a mind of their own and yet they are great in giving you the look that will melt your heart.

It took me about 2 to 3 months to train Belle to use the toilet. Initially she loves to pee and poo all over the house especially when she notice that I am not looking at her.

I did not let her pee and poo on the papers but I train her to use the bathroom. As KBS said look out for signs of elimination ie. moving in circles and smelling the floor (but then beagles smell the floor all the time) . Take a note on the duration after it have its food and pee/poo time. Normaly puppies in general need to urinate about every 20 minutes after driniking.It takes about 45 minutes to one(1) hour, upon waking up or after eating or playing.Bowel movement usually occur 4 to 6 times a day. This is the time to look out for their signs to eliminate. Lure them towards their potty area and say "Go PeePee /PooPoo" . Wait till it has eliminate and then give it a treat and say "Good Boy/Girl".

Now this will take lots of patience but believe me it will work and it is always rewarding when you manage to pass this test Wink

If you choose to let it pee and poo on newspaper, perhaps what you can do is , sfter laying out the papers neatly on the floor , get a few extra pieces and shred it into strips and throw it on top of the neatly stack newspaper. In this way it will get to play with the strips of papers and will not bother to play with the neatly stack paper.

KBS have share a good tip with you on chewing problems.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

kbs
Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2002, 6:54 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1406 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TohCS] Beagle Puppy Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ChengSee,

Welcome back to the forum. Have not heard from you for such a long time, am sure many forumers miss ur postings. How is Belle doing so far? Did you enter her for the Malacca show? There is a new post by dog categories right now, we can have now a place to gather all Beagle owners and continue our mission to form an unofficial Beagle club in Malaysia Wink..

Regards,
KBS

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my