How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jyyoong
Novice

Jan 13, 2004, 2:10 AM

Post #1 of 28 (6421 views)
Shortcut
How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place Can't Post

I have 3 month old Schnauzer with me. I will like to teach him urine and shit on the newspaper. At the moment now he do his business everywhere in the living room. Can anyone help?

Kowpa

Jan 13, 2004, 7:42 AM

Post #2 of 28 (6410 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jyyoong] How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have 3 month old Schnauzer with me. I will like to teach him urine and shit on the newspaper. At the moment now he do his business everywhere in the living room. Can anyone help?

The rules

Housebreaking Rule Number One: This is The Most Important Rule – If you don't catch your puppy doing it - then don't punish him for it!

Housebreaking Rule Number Two: Praise your puppy when things go right. Don't let this be a situation where your only action is saying "No" when they are caught in the midst of using the wrong area. If they do it right – let them know!

Methods of housebreaking

Starting Inside: There are several ways to housebreak a puppy. With the first, you can put down papers or pretreated pads, encouraging them to use these areas for going to the bathroom. The pads are scented with a chemical that attracts the puppy to use them. Whenever you see them starting into their "pre-potty pattern," such as walking around and sniffing the floor, you gently pick them up without talking and carry them over to the papers/pad and then praise them when they go to the bathroom (Rule 2).

When all goes well and they are using the papers consistently, the papers are either moved closer to the door and/or another set is placed outside. The transition is made from concentrating the toilet habits to one spot inside the home to one spot outside the home. Finally, the papers inside are eliminated. The only problem with this method is that for a period of time it encourages the animal to eliminate inside the home. In our experience, housebreaking may take longer when this method is used.

rebooto
ALPHA

Jan 13, 2004, 5:03 PM

Post #3 of 28 (6401 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jyyoong] How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place [In reply to] Can't Post

well, if u think u need more info...then i guess u have to do a search on the housetraining or potty training to find more info on this topic as this topic is pretty hot and the most common problem we pup's new owner are facing all the time.Wink

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

meekoo
New User

Jan 13, 2004, 6:57 PM

Post #4 of 28 (6399 views)
Shortcut

As mentioned earlier, the housebreaking rules are always the core of your training, as puppies are young, active little things who don't really understand the workings of their world, and therefore you have to take things slow and steady.

As for me, I successfully newspaper-trained my dog from her puppy days. What I did was to purchase the spray with that 'special' chemical from the pet shop, sprayed it on the newspapers and within a few days, the mission was completed much to my delight.

I hope you are successful with your attempts on the Schnauzer! Smile

jyyoong
Novice

Jan 13, 2004, 9:48 PM

Post #5 of 28 (6389 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I have 3 month old Schnauzer with me. I will like to teach him urine and shit on the newspaper. At the moment now he do his business everywhere in the living room. Can anyone help? I saw some of you recommend me to buy some 'magic' spray that will attract the puppy to urine on certain appropriate area. Can I know where to get those spray and what is the brand/name of the spray. Thanks

jyyoong
Novice

Jan 13, 2004, 9:49 PM

Post #6 of 28 (6389 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place [In reply to] Can't Post

Where I can get the chemical spray and what is the brand/name of it?

jyyoong
Novice

Jan 13, 2004, 9:51 PM

Post #7 of 28 (6387 views)
Shortcut
Re: [meekoo] How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place [In reply to] Can't Post

Where I can get the chemical spray and what is the brand/name of it?

jaytan
Canine Addict

Jan 13, 2004, 10:18 PM

Post #8 of 28 (6386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I have been using this method from day 1 but still scratching my head lah. My 2 Beagle puppies are 6 months old now. From 2 1/2 months to 5 months, I newspaper them so no chance for accident. Then I let them out of the narrow enclosure to a wider 7x8 feet area. OK for 10 days and they will do their duty at the newspaper on the drain. Accident once in 3-4 days I just wash up and ignore. Then they poop all over the place every time. 2 days later back to crate and newspaper on drain enclosure routine for a week. They keep the crate clean, area outside the crate also spared and some more they pee and poop at furthest end. Let them out ok for 5 days, they only do their business at the far end. Then poop all over the place again. Now 2nd day in enclosure and well behaved again. Please any suggestions, anyone? Best regards,J

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 13, 2004, 11:54 PM

Post #9 of 28 (6383 views)
Shortcut

Hi there!!!

Hehe... As for a chemical spray... I think a lot of members here use some suggested brands as well as home remedies. Tongue

This was suggested by a lot of people I know, they say diluted vinegar is best to mask the smell of their last pee/poo location. Tongue

Another rule of housebreaking is that to also observe when your pup is about to do its business. If it has a visual/audio clue that it is about to poo/pee (i.e. smelling around), put the pup at the designated area and let them relieve themselves. Remember to praise them alot for a job well done!! Tongue

This is very common. Even for my pup of 4mths, she still makes mistakes... Crazy I think she "forgot" herself... Laugh

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

suekmei31
Novice

Mar 1, 2004, 12:28 PM

Post #10 of 28 (6230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [meekoo] How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place [In reply to] Can't Post

hi meekoo,

can u please teach me how to teach my shih tzu (8 months old) to do his business on the newspaper....he been peeing and poo on all the carpets in my house...sometime even on the bed...Frown....i caught him peeing, and i smack him and say no then bring him to the toilet and tell him to do it there...but still no news...then everytime i caught him, immediately bring him to the toilet but then end up he urine all the way i bring to the toilet...and sometime i caught him smelling on those carpet, i say NO then he knows what i mean then i bring him to toilet, he dont want to do it...Crazy...

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 1, 2004, 6:51 PM

Post #11 of 28 (6227 views)
Shortcut
Re: [suekmei31] How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

You really MUST READ the threads ... otherwise you will miss all the information and suggestions ... Also learn to use the "SEARCH" function in the forum ... The search icon is right at the top at the Index Page ...

Cheers

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Mar 5, 2004, 1:27 AM

Post #12 of 28 (6197 views)
Shortcut

May be u can try to crate them first during toilet train period. Their sleeping place/ crate shouldn't be too big, otherwise they will use one end for sleep the other end for toilet. Usually they wont soil their sleeping place. U can let them out and bring them to the spot u want them to do their business, say: garden, praise them if they do it right.

make it a habit what time they should go for toilet. say after meal, or play or just woke up.. happy training~
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

paulynn
ALPHA

Mar 8, 2004, 8:00 AM

Post #13 of 28 (6184 views)
Shortcut
Re: [suekmei31] How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Most people would discourage anyone from smacking/hitting their dogs even if u caught them in the act.The only wise thing u can do is say a stern and firm "NO" and mean it and telling it with both of your stern eyes to your dog. It works for my dogs as i use different tones when it comes to teaching them and playing with them. Like what surchinmy mentioned earlier in his post, you have to search and read through threads that features tips and advices on the problems that u're facing. What ican teach u is that, after their meal ( cause it's the only time i get to see them do it "live"), stay with them until they start showing signs that indicates that they need to go to the loo. It can take from 10 mins to an hour after each meal but this is what we have to do if we want to keep a pet n making sure that it's toilet-trained. After the dog showed signs of pre-toilet-going, immediately bring some n/pp and put it in an appropriate place and bring the dog to that specific place and wait for it to eliminate.Once its done, praise him and say goodboy and all. Then it'll start doing at the "place" knowing that it'll get more praises by doing at the correct place :)

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 9, 2004, 5:59 AM

Post #14 of 28 (6174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulynn, suekmei31] How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place [In reply to] Can't Post

very true that one must monitor the signs that the pup is going to need the toilet trip.

for shalom is always sniffing the ground and then running in circles (small spot) before slowing up to an up and down pacing. then she poops.

of course the simplest is knowing that she has to poop before 8 am. normally its about 730...only then she can eat. otherwise she won't eat her breakfast.

but as the pup grows older, the muscle control is better, and one would be able to gage the timing needed for the peepoo session.

if given that you have the luxury of a garden, you may want to release the pup intermittently into the garden for like 10 minutes to sniff and eliminate. sniffing for scents also encourages elimination in dogs. after teh 10 minutes if nothing happens, you will then have to crate the pup for another 30 minutes or so before returning to the garden. it takes a few days of such training before a pup will positively learn. but patience and keen observation is important.

if you are using those liquid to train, you may want to place some prominently in the garden for the pup to sniff and peepoo thereafter.

have fun....i seriously mean fun...coz its great satisfaction when you see ur pup mastering the peepoo but heratache during the training period...but in the end when you see the final results and then think back...its FUN...

paulynn
ALPHA

Mar 9, 2004, 6:46 AM

Post #15 of 28 (6171 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place [In reply to] Can't Post

i knw what u mean by have rael fun watching them doingit at the correct spot because my first dog couldn't eliminate at the give spot with npapers (nps) on the floor but will run to the garden and poo.Imagine the garden's designed and all that by my dad!! carpet grass's gone so now it's arock garden lol.

thank god for josie.She's really really smart ( and i do mean smart!) . First day came into the house, succedeed in the toilet training. Needed an hour to train her and that's it.from that day onwards she's been weeing on nps.How lucky am i ?! :P I got so esctatic as i thought i had to stay with her for the next few weeks to come and was screaming and shouting and laughing non stop that i scared her away lol for being so happy !!!

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 9, 2004, 10:21 PM

Post #16 of 28 (6167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulynn] How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place [In reply to] Can't Post

hmmm...that was fast... 1hour!

shalom all the way was at least 1 mth to be very safe n sure...i mean she knew her papers yet there were teh days that she did it everywhere but the newspapers.

so these days, we keep her in her play pen when we are out...and when we are home (except sleep time) she is free to roam the house.

for shalom now...if she sees grass she'll do grass otherwise, she'll hang on till newspapers comes along. so when i bring her to work, i just have to bring her out walkies every 2 hours at the grassy patches. it just amaze people that we bring her to work and walk around with her plastic bag during the walkies....but we sell them the idea...responsible parenting.

paulynn
ALPHA

Mar 10, 2004, 11:11 PM

Post #17 of 28 (6160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

u mean u'reallowed tobring shalom to work? Wow !! where?!

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 11, 2004, 2:04 AM

Post #18 of 28 (6158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulynn] How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place [In reply to] Can't Post

own biz...so can bring doggie to work lor.

but in my first job...whenever i had to work late to finish up proposals, my boss was kind enuf to let me bring my westie to work. on condition...no peeing and pooing around. which was no biggie since colby was well trained by his daddy.

i even brought my cats to work during office hours. but colby was reserved for after hours only...so as not to offend my malay colleagues.

paulynn
ALPHA

Mar 12, 2004, 2:17 AM

Post #19 of 28 (6146 views)
Shortcut

wow no wonder why ur dogf's lucky....wat businesS?

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 12, 2004, 4:42 PM

Post #20 of 28 (6141 views)
Shortcut

lucky?

we didn't finish work until 4am this mornung...and now we're back in the office (8am)....i feeel so guilty even though one of our neighbours helped walked her and feed her...

so here she is sitting down in front of me...sleeeping! boy wish i could do the same sleep...

we're printing plans downstairs. creative and technical consultants (hubby and i)....so in a way, we're flexible with our hours somedays and max rigid somee other days....

paulynn
ALPHA

Mar 13, 2004, 9:02 PM

Post #21 of 28 (6134 views)
Shortcut

oh i see...sounds awesome ythough

DoggiePuppy

Mar 15, 2004, 2:16 AM

Post #22 of 28 (6130 views)
Shortcut

I still haf those liquid for housebreaking wan. I sell you la hahaha... for me its no use at all, Zoe didn't learn from that. IN fact I think if you haf the time and consistency, your doggie sure learn wan. What I did with Zoe was, heheh, that time I very free ma so I follow wherever she may go all the time, so once she started to wanna do business, shout at her or bring her to right place lor. Continue liddat then she learn liow in a short time. All the best ler. Not a hard thing to train dun wori.
------------------------------------------------------------
<-----Looks like a cockroach from this picture!!

ele_eve
Novice

Mar 17, 2004, 11:45 PM

Post #23 of 28 (6102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy] How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

i used the liquid to train my 6mths old puppy before but he juz ignore it, he dun even interested in sniffing when i gave to him..

MY PROBLEM IS, i can't get his poopoo time,he use to do it all at night, then sometimes he does it in the morning too,he never do it after his meal one ler..he is now pooing everywer not consistency around my garden tiles floor but the soil!!& this make mi have to clear him GIANT poo poo every single morning without fail!( he use to do it on the grass or soil...I thought i was reliefLaugh...but god knows, he changed his preference on the one fine day!!)

the most crazy things is,after he pooing all around,he STEP ON IT & running around!!! damn!

It was once,he poo when i walk him, i did praise him, but he din get it worCrazy...i dunnot have chance to catch him poo on the wrong spot coz he does it when i was zzzzz coz he is kept at the garden.

My older dogs r now following his behavior,poo anywhere he poo in the garden(they used to poopoo only when they r out for walk..according to my family history,no one trained them,they did it automatically!!!amazing..)

PLEASE HELP!!!I have try newspaper method,not working.What else can i do..i m giving up sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon ler...

THANKS zillion bunch!
ele_eve

DoggiePuppy

Mar 18, 2004, 4:09 AM

Post #24 of 28 (6098 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ele_eve] How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place [In reply to] Can't Post

Aiyoo dear friend, don't be disheartened la by this small matter that you know it can be solved.I know because I haven't really read stories of anyone in here who `once' has this problem and never got it solved wan.

You leave your dog in the house or in the porch? If you learn to give up, I tell you, your dog will learn the same from you. If your pup didn't understand praise, perhaps your pup had never understand what praises meant? Try from the most basic lor, and show your pup that praise = something that is right and fun/good/nice/secure.

Some dogs learn different tricks at a different rate and I see housebreaking as a trick too. If your pup poo when you're sleeping why not trying confining the area he/she gets to go when you're sleeping that way when he/she wants to poo desperately it'll be on that place? Soon they'll get used to pooing at that place.

It really takes a lot of patient and consistency from you seriously. You said you've tried newspaper, what do you mean by that? Just leaving it around for your pup to poo? Then its definitely not going to work. Well if you meant putting at the place when she/he wants to poo, how long have you been doing that? Another thing I forgot to mention is this, my Zoe will have certain specific area she'll poo last time when she got back home. How I newspaper train ah? I put a few piece of newspaper around where she usually would go do her business with the hope the next time she goes, it'll be those places again. Also, a big area actually the whole area of her room( her room means a whole human room with a cage ) the whole room floor is filled with newspaper too. So these area where she goes, she'll have to smell the newspaper first before poo ma rite? Soon one day she finally just understands about newspaper. But that doesn't mean she understand which newspaper area can and which cannot. So the next step will I leave the whole room filled with newspaper, when I catch her pooing, I shout and run after her. Especially when she small and can't control, even when I shout and run towards her, her ehem....sorry ah..shit will hang half way or poo will still be flowing. But I don't care, just carry and bring her to the right place and say good girl and sayang her many times lor. Once she's done, give her happy voice and lots of praise again. Simple as that, after some time she learns, now the area of newspaper is just very small. Something wrong aiming la but at least I know she'll poo only when she smell the newspaper inside the room. Aim wrong wan..heheh...technical problem la nothing to do with her understanding.

Keep this in mind, repeat what you say and do consistently not changing your method after a day or two, you'll definitely make it. I am no pro but as a first time dog owner, who once thought there's no way I can teach my dog anything, well I was more than just wrong looking at everything she understands and can do on command today. You go look at my thread and see how many problem I had with Zoe still today all resolve.

Never give up!!! Keep me or ppl here updated maybe I can compare Zoe's learning patern with yours so that you can come out with solution also. By the way, how old is your pup now?
------------------------------------------------------------
<-----Looks like a cockroach from this picture!!

ele_eve
Novice

Mar 18, 2004, 6:40 PM

Post #25 of 28 (6090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy] How To Teach My Dog Urine & Shit At Proper Place [In reply to] Can't Post

HI!

THANKS for reply!

my pup is now six mths old(but he is almost a size of a GR),i got him 2 mths ago..i m keeping him at my backyard....how can i confine him? not tying him up rite?......( i dun wan to do that osoUnsure..i use to put npp at one of the spot he poo,he end up shredded the newspaper!!!my backyard garden is not that big but still quite spacious, plus he doesn't poo consistantly at the few spot,m i going to put npp all over the places?(then he will be very happy!!!Slycoz he got things to mess with again!)but i will try again if that worth doing it....
ele_eve

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my