Physical punishment

jason
Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2002, 9:06 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1275 views)
Shortcut
Physical punishment Can't Post

Hello ...

May be we should discuss a bit about physical punishment in training dogs! I know that it may produce a negative effect on certain cases, but sometime, it could be useful ... Also, there has been widely believed that positive training methods, such as rewards, etc are the right way to train dogs. However, I believe that many people are still handling their dogs by the physical punishment methods. Any comments?

regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jan 28, 2002, 4:58 AM

Post #2 of 3 (1266 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Physical punishment [In reply to] Can't Post

It depends on how severe the physical punishment is. Training should be done with a choke chain, so that one quick jerk of the chain will be enough to reprimand your dog. Remember, training should be a positive experience for your dog. If you keep on physically hurting him, he'll come to hate training and this will undoubtedly hinder any progress.

Personally, I don't physically punish my dog unless she's done a very bad thing such as snapping at other dogs (she's not very sociable). In these cases, just tap their nose with the end of the leash. Unfortunately, I'm pretty much hopeless at training (no discipline from yours truly), so I can't say much. Any other comments?

-= Tisha =-

May
Old Hand

Jan 31, 2002, 1:41 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Physical punishment [In reply to] Can't Post

So far I trained my puppy the command "sit, hand, come, fetch" without using a choke chain and she still can learn very well. In fact, she learn all the command in less than a week with twice training session per day that last about 5 minutes. But sometimes I do cane her when she jump at people...Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my