Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Eye Care and Conditions:
Heartworm test!

ujen
Novice

Nov 15, 2002, 11:03 PM

Post #1 of 24 (7878 views)
Shortcut
Heartworm test! Can't Post

Just got off the phone with 2 practitioners regarding the cheapest test for heartworm detection. According to the:

a) Private pratitioner: The antigen as well as the UV light test is necessary. The former is to detect the presence of adult heartworm and the latter is necessary to detect the presence of the "undeveloped" heartworm ie the larvae and so forth.

B) Govt Vet at the PJ (UPM) Clinic: we should only be concerned with the presence of the adult heartworms because assuming if its at the larvae stage and so forth , the preventive medication like heartgard will be able to wipe out their presence and therefore only the antigen test is necessary.

Am planning to send my minpin for the test soon and was wondering if this issue can be resolved for the benefit of all members. Thanks.

Ujen

Cos' they deserve the best!

Khoobg
Webmaster

Nov 16, 2002, 12:56 AM

Post #2 of 24 (7866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ujen] Heartworm test! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have sent several of my dogs for heartworm check and only antigen test were carried out. According to the information provided, Heartgard is able to kill those heartworm that are still in the larvae stage.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

ujen
Novice

Nov 16, 2002, 1:54 AM

Post #3 of 24 (7861 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Heartworm test! [In reply to] Can't Post

According to the information provided, Heartgard is able to kill those heartworm that are still in the larvae stage>

At this moment, i am not aware of the different development stages the organism has to undergo before it reaches adulthood. Can i assume at this juncture that the preventive medication is good for wiping out the organism no matter at what stage the organism is right now except if the organism has reached adulthood?!!

You mentioned..."information provided." May I ask by whom. Thanks....

Ujen

(This post was edited by ujen on Nov 16, 2002, 1:57 AM)

fxueyu
Dog Kichi

Nov 23, 2002, 1:06 AM

Post #4 of 24 (7846 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ujen] Heartworm test! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi

When my pup is 2 months old we went to the vet, he didnt give any blood test and directly gave my pup heartguard to chew every month. After that we change to this current vet. My pup going thru the blood test and is negative, and the vet suggest that we should take injection for him, and done.Is it the same for taking heartguard and injection, because I feel that injection is very expensive. is it necessary to give injection?

need your all advice on hearworm?

boon
Doggyman

Nov 25, 2002, 4:57 PM

Post #5 of 24 (7832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fxueyu] Heartworm test! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Heartguard is best suited for puppies that are growing and increasing their weight daily. There are two type of heartguard chewable, one for those below 6 months and the other for those between 6 months to a year. Normally after a year old, u need to do a blood test before the proheart annual injection can be done.

I believe that proheart had introduced a new injection call proheart6 or something that is suitable for puppies to have their half yearly injection.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

fxueyu
Dog Kichi

Nov 27, 2002, 11:48 PM

Post #6 of 24 (7819 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Heartworm test! [In reply to] Can't Post

HI,

so is it mean that after the puppy one year old no more tablet only injection for heartworm? it is once a year, and injection quite expensive.

does anyone can recommend any vet that is reliable and resonable for price?

boon
Doggyman

Nov 28, 2002, 12:08 AM

Post #7 of 24 (7818 views)
Shortcut

Hi fxueyu,

Yeap, most of the dog with age of a year will mostlt reaches their size carried with them in their genes. So a annual injection will protect you furkids from heartworm for a year. And remember this is not only for the first one or two years, is for the whole life of ur pup.

As of a reliable vet, nothing much i can help, because i'm from Penang. So may Khoo, Arthur or any other members can help.Wink

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

Khoobg
Webmaster

Nov 28, 2002, 12:54 AM

Post #8 of 24 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Administer Heartworm prevention injection is as simple as administer vaccination and most VET will be able to handle that easily.

The cost of injection is quite close to that of administer monthly tablets. By providing your furkid year round protection with one injection, you will have peace of mind without having to worry that you may miss giving tablet at the scheduled time. When you give heartgard to your dog, you will also need to ensure that they finish the whole table or else, your dog may not have the protection if the dosage is not sufficient.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

ujen
Novice

Dec 9, 2002, 6:02 PM

Post #9 of 24 (7799 views)
Shortcut

why am i unable to insert my email in a new post. have i been blacklisted for some reason or another...please enlighten.

Ujen

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 19, 2003, 1:40 AM

Post #10 of 24 (7759 views)
Shortcut

Hi Khoo, so without having to run a blood test, it is a MUST to get the injection each year.. the same time our dog gets the vacination each year? If it's a must then why bother to do the test to see if there's any worm? this is really very new to me as i know very well that each pup needs to get thier three injection (interval of a month) but never heard of this heartworm thingy until now.. sorry for my ignorance, but i would think that even some pet shop owners are not aware of this! is this a norm? and by the way, any idea how much does the injection cost?

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 19, 2003, 9:17 AM

Post #11 of 24 (7757 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Heartworm test! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jaz,

You cannot administer a heartworm prevention jab or tablets to a dog if the dog is tested positive for heartworm, it'll be fatal to the dog (i'm not sure how in medical explanation). That is why it is VERY important to do a test first, if the dog is tested positive then the vet will start on a cure, if it's tested negative then only will it be safe to start the heartworm prevention. If you decide to give the monthly tablets instead of the annual jab then u must ensure that you give it on schedule each mth....if u fail to do so, say u forget to give this mth and u only start a mth later and in between your dog has contrated the worms then the dog might die....that is why the vet will advise u once u forget to give the tablets u CANNOT continue giving it unless u do another heartworm test to determine that she's negative.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 19, 2003, 9:22 AM

Post #12 of 24 (7755 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Heartworm test! [In reply to] Can't Post

ok! got it! tomorrow she's going for the test (hope it's good news).. and see what the vet says.. i've have several dogs before and i never knew that there's such a thing like heartworm... all i know was the three vacination for dogs. Are there anything like these that i should be aware off to look out for or to do prevention before it's too late??

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 19, 2003, 9:31 AM

Post #13 of 24 (7754 views)
Shortcut

I guess the most basic ones are the vaccination jabs and the heartworm prevention....i dun think rabies shot is very popular here coz we dun find cases of rabies so far? In some countries, rabies shot is a must but not in Malaysia.

If u wanna take a step further, u can actually run a blood test on Jaz, u know like our human blood test where they test just about everything frm red and white blood cell count to liver and kidney function...i'm planning to test Biscuit very soon....costs about $80 here for a full blood profile....if the dog is healthy then u can run the next test every 3 to 5 years once.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 19, 2003, 9:37 AM

Post #14 of 24 (7752 views)
Shortcut

alrite! thanks for the info. i think i'll let Jaz do the heartworm test tomorrow, and as has been suggested, will go for the full blood test to ensure 100% accuracy. is the result instant or takes a few days?
As fo the other blood test you suggested, i'll let her go through that after CNY... after i manage to collect enough Ang Pow Money Blush.. i've really spend quite a fortune on her...Pirate

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 19, 2003, 9:44 AM

Post #15 of 24 (7751 views)
Shortcut

Heartworm test is instant...i did it at Peng Aun, the vet did 2 types of test just to be 100% sure, the kit test (like what Arthur mentioned on the other thread, something like a pregnancy test kit) and he also took some blood and looked under the microscope, of course he charges more for it lar Tongue

The blood screen, they'll send it to a lab like Pathlab and it'll take a few days for the results to come out....let us know how Jaz's heartworm test comes out Smile

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 20, 2003, 6:17 AM

Post #16 of 24 (7746 views)
Shortcut

hi there, i didn't manage to bring jaz for the test today.. overslept Unsure.. but anyway, another of my sister friend just adopter a bernesse mountain dog from a friend who owns about 30 over dogs!! and we shall take our dogs to the vet the same time Wink... it's sad to see the dog is just left with skind and bones... i mean if do not have the means to take care of so many dogs... then better notler... pity those dogs only..

at the same time, i think the dog has the same problem as Sunnie... eye infection.. there's just so much goo coming out from the poor dog's eye.. haaiii.. sad case man.

boon
Doggyman

Jan 20, 2003, 6:33 AM

Post #17 of 24 (7742 views)
Shortcut

Hi Lisa,

I must say Thank You very muxh to u. You question here reminds me to feed Bonney her heartguard monthly tablet. Actually the medication due tomorrow which is 20th of each month. Luckily ah...hahahah god bless. She is on the tablet is because she will continue gaining weight from 4 months till probably 1 year plus, what what the vet told me (the one mentioned by Gina) is to put her on tablets and will only change to the annual injection (proheart) after her body weight 'stablize'.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 20, 2003, 6:40 AM

Post #18 of 24 (7741 views)
Shortcut

Hi Boon, hey, no worries.. i must say, you guys have feed me with so much useful information that i can start advising other new ownersTongue.. are you saying that feeding tablets is better? and if we send jaz for injection, she's likely to gain weight?

boon
Doggyman

Jan 20, 2003, 6:58 AM

Post #19 of 24 (7740 views)
Shortcut

Hi Lisa,

Hahahah, yeap u can start to advice some new comer nowWink. Nope Nope, tablet is not better, what i meant was since Bonney is a large breed puppy, and she will continuing gaining her weight from time to time. For a heartworm injection (namely ProHeart or ProHeart6-for half yearly), the vet need to determine the amount of medicine to be injected per the dog's body weight. So it won't be so good/accurate for a growing puppy. Then he suggested me to go for the monthly tablet basis till Bonney stablelize or stop growing (which will be about 1 year plus) then only go for the annual injection.

FYI : Bonney growing ratio from 2.5 months is 8.8 KG, then 3.5 months is 12.4KG, 4.5 months is 16.8KG, so averagely she is gaining 4KG per month or approx 1kg per week.

Then from 5 months onwards she is averagely gaining about 2 to 2.5 KG per months. hahahhahah. Big eater and a water dog as well. Drink a lot of water, especially after her daily evening walk.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 20, 2003, 4:10 PM

Post #20 of 24 (7738 views)
Shortcut

Hi Boon,

Oh, now i understand.. yeah, it goes without saying that Bonnie is a BIG girl! she's very jumpy and excited all the time as well Laugh wonder how to control her, if i were to be given her leash to walk her... unlike Jaz, if she refuses to walk, or behaving badly, all i need to do is just to pick her up and shake the day like out of her! ha! ha!

arthur
ALPHA

Jan 22, 2003, 2:40 AM

Post #21 of 24 (7728 views)
Shortcut

Hi Gina,

You mentioned earlier.."i dun think rabies shot is very popular here coz we dun find cases of rabies so far? In some countries, rabies shot is a must but not in Malaysia." A vet once told me when I asked him about his question on rabies shot. It is common, well almost mandatory for the border states of Perlis, Kedah, Kelantan as there are reported cases of rabies on Southern Thailand.

Once there is a reported case of rabies, the local authorities would then go for a rabies innoculation drive for all canines in the reported area. Rabies shot is also a must for all dogs entering or leaving Malaysia.. exception is if you are importing a dog directly from a safe rabies-free country like UK, Japan, Singapore etc. The complete list is available at the vet. dept website for those who are interested.

Anyone that has sent their dogs for rabies shot, do share your experiences with us. Does it cost much? Is the needle BIG? Unsure

Rdgs Arthur

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 22, 2003, 8:20 AM

Post #22 of 24 (7725 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Heartworm test! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi arthur!

so is this another injection that needs to be taken care off? i wonder can jaz take so many shots at one go??!! Shocked better ask the vet again and see what's his feedback... another big hole in my pocket Pirate

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 22, 2003, 8:48 AM

Post #23 of 24 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the info! Did not realise that it is a must in some states over here....so far none of the ppl i know with dogs hv given rabies shot to their dogs b4....i remember when i took Biscuit for his vaccination i asked the vet about whether i shd give him rabies shot too and the vet kinda chuckled (made me feel a bit silly for asking!) and said no no not neccessary at all coz rabies are rare here Crazy

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 22, 2003, 10:51 AM

Post #24 of 24 (7722 views)
Shortcut

i never realised that rabbies shot "is not common" or "not recommended" by vet in Malaysia!

it is a MUST in United States, the first shot is with the puppy vaccination, the second one is one year later, and could last for 3 years. When I bought the dog-license for Mack, I need to show the sheriff the rabbies booster tag, the tag has to be on Mack's collar too. the license has to be renewed annualy and the validation of the booster has to be shown too.

For the sake of their health, prevention cause no harm, right?

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

(This post was edited by mackmack on Jan 22, 2003, 10:53 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my