Grooming a shih Zhi

cavey
Novice

Jan 10, 2004, 7:47 AM

Post #1 of 16 (7830 views)
Shortcut
Grooming a shih Zhi Can't Post

Hi,

I have a shih zhu, about 6 month old and I comb her everyday. However the hair at her legs get tangle easily and her hair looks very dry. No matter how I comb her hair, after a few hours, it become curry. Is there anyway to solve this?

I am planning to send her for grooming. I have been asking around Pandan Indah about the price. They all don't give a fix price. I am affraid that it may end up RM200. ANy recommendation around that area?

mafia
Canine Addict

Jan 10, 2004, 6:54 PM

Post #2 of 16 (7820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cavey] Grooming a shih Zhi [In reply to] Can't Post

i would strongly recommend my groomer in kuchai lama....cheap and very good.....

u can mail me for his number and direction!

he specialized in shihtzus and pekingese!

mail me at @ .com.my

This message is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly pang-tang persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or sexual religious beliefs.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

meiyoong

Jan 13, 2004, 4:50 PM

Post #3 of 16 (7802 views)
Shortcut

Cavey,
Mayb u can buy a conditioner for ur shih tzu to try. My shih tzu also facing problem of tangled fur. Last few months his tangled became serious and i had to bring it to the groomer to solve the problem.

rebooto
ALPHA

Jan 13, 2004, 5:08 PM

Post #4 of 16 (7801 views)
Shortcut

hi cavey,

u from pandan indah....oic....me2....

all the pandan indah pet shop arrr really not good 1 in grooming...

i also have a shih tzu and my pet saloon is doing a great job for me and also some friend from puppy.com.my....if u want me to recommend...then mail me la...hehehe chrkon

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

cavey
Novice

Jan 15, 2004, 8:19 AM

Post #5 of 16 (7788 views)
Shortcut
Re: [meiyoong] Grooming a shih Zhi [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

My shih zhu's leg now is botak haha!! does a shih zhu's fur suppose to be oily? What kind of conditional do u use? is it usefull?

those groomers in pandan indah are very expensive. they are expecting about Rm100 plus.

There are getting more and more pet shop in Pandan indah. but hardly find and C & G groomer

a_evie
Doggyman

Jan 30, 2004, 9:23 PM

Post #6 of 16 (7757 views)
Shortcut

rebooto's groomer in pudu is good. try itlah.

i do not use conditioner on shalom as i find it a tad oily. but i do a 2 in 1 using an aroma oil from origins that i sray after shower. its supposed to keep the bugs off her etc...plus it makes her fur soft too.

btw, you may want to attempt daily brushing of your fur baby. it helps keep them tangle free and also it keeps the baby clean and nice smelling. i have had friends who brush their dogs daily and the need to shower can be drag upto 6 weeks despite daily outdoor walks. shalom is way past her 1 wek of no shower. despite the travelling and walkies...she still looks clean and smells good.

if at all the discolouration due to urine...try using talcum powder on that area...then brush out. another shih tzu mummy taught me that...and its help shalom tremendously (her legs are white)

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Feb 6, 2004, 2:47 AM

Post #7 of 16 (7721 views)
Shortcut

Hello Cavey,

Is your shih tzu long coated? Pay special attention on the bottom part of the body. It's the most common part where u will find matted fur. Make sure u comb the under coat as shih tzu have very thick coats with mutiple layers(most owners only comb the visible part).It is a must for shih tzu's owners to groom their fur kids daily,preferably 2 times a day if u can. Sweep the floor daily to make sure there r no furballs lying around as it will tangle your dog's coat if it got stuck to it's coat. De-mat asap if u found any,else the area will become worst from day to day.

As far as i know, groomers around KL and PJ normally charge between rm80 to rm120.Services includes nail clipping,trimming,bathing and pucking of fur on ears. Some groomers will display prices because they need to see the condition of the dog. If it's badly tangled, they will surely charge u more as there r more work to be done. So U must be hardworking on taking care of your furkid in order to save money. DO ask groomers for advice on how to comb your dog. I learned a lot from mine.

Hope this help!!

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

cavey
Novice

Feb 6, 2004, 7:41 AM

Post #8 of 16 (7716 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adamchooi] Grooming a shih Zhi [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi!

Thanks. However I have cut her fur very short (puppy cut). I send her to the groomer in MidValley. My wife is expecting and I need to stop her fur balls. Otherwise she has to go :(

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Feb 7, 2004, 12:30 AM

Post #9 of 16 (7706 views)
Shortcut

hi cavey,

well mid valley?? it must have cost u a bomb??... well shorter hair means easier to maintain...good for u guys tooo...a lot of ppl said tht they groom their dogs daily n yet tangle still present this is bcos they r not doing it the right way...when u brush, u dont brush like we brush our hair....shih tzu's are double coated therefore the brush wont be able to penetrate thru if u just brush on the top part....lift up the hair layer by later n brush, then u only u will be brushhing your dog thoroughly...and also pay more attention to the underpart of the dog n also the legs which tends to matted up very fast...keeep your dog off wet grounds n areas...wet hair tangle up easily..n never never ever bathe your dog when it has tangle...try using conditioner or sprays...it will help a lot..and also proper nutrition leads to healthy n silky hair...hope my piece of advice will be useful to u...bye
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

cavey
Novice

Feb 7, 2004, 9:14 AM

Post #10 of 16 (7699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ritchie_dog] Grooming a shih Zhi [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Its not that expensive as I was choosing the student cut (RM90). The tangle problem was serious. I am now taking extra care and doing what you have suggested

Thanks

meiyoong

Feb 8, 2004, 6:36 AM

Post #11 of 16 (7688 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Last time my shih tzu also face serious of tangle problem but later i brought him to groomer in Pudu then the problem was solved. The groomer in Pudu really good, mayb u should have a try.

Gemini255
New User

Feb 21, 2004, 2:53 AM

Post #12 of 16 (7586 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] Grooming a shih Zhi [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a 7-months old Shih-Tzu and would like to send her to a groomer... Can you please advise the shop name, address and contact number for the groomer in Pudu? My email address is gemini255@yahoo.com. Thanks!!!

lilibee
Novice

Feb 25, 2004, 7:03 PM

Post #13 of 16 (7566 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cavey,

That sounds just like my Yoda. He's about your puppy's age and an Australian shihtzu. I used to get annoyed as well when his hair kept getting unruly despite my constant brushing. My other shih tzu however has fine, straight hair and needs only a twice-weekly grooming. Basically, like human beings, dogs come with different characteristics as well. I'm not sure what you meant by "curry" but looking at the picture I'm guessing that she has natural kinks or curls in her hair. When you bathe her does her hair look curly and "stuck together"? Here's what you can do if you want to homegroom your pup:

1. Buy a good metal-bristle brush. I used to use a fine-tooth comb but I find now that the paddle brush works best. Every groomer has a favorite brush. Just avoid the wire-mesh brushes (that look like the type that you would use to scrub plates!)--those are mostly suitable for short-hair dogs.

2. Starting from your pup's head, form a middle parting. Brush hair down from head down, following the middle parting--it looks neater that way. Brush her paws and underneath last.

3. If you want to avoid messy paws, you can always keep the hair there short. Buy a pair of grooming scissors and trim the fur underneath and around her paws every few weeks. You should also trim the fur near her backside so her feaces doesn't get stuck there.

4. Have you considered keeping her fur shorter rather than longer? The longer her hair is the more you're going to need to groom. When the hair on her head gets long, you can tie it up in a top knot.

5. You can also try buying a spray for her coat, such as Glossy Coat by Top Dog. It tends to reduce the curliness. I bought mine for about 20 ringgit and it's worked for me.

The good news is that your puppy will get her adult coat soon, which will be easier to handle.

Good luck!

Lils

a_evie
Doggyman

Feb 26, 2004, 12:02 AM

Post #14 of 16 (7562 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gemini255] Grooming a shih Zhi [In reply to] Can't Post

very cute pup.

will email you tomo or so as i do not have the numbers with me now.

jooann
Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2004, 6:10 PM

Post #15 of 16 (7504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ritchie_dog] Grooming a shih Zhi [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ritchie_dog...

Can i have your email add pls? Or email me at looojooann@yahoo.com... thanks!

Tongue Joo Ann N Sushi

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Jul 20, 2004, 9:38 PM

Post #16 of 16 (6740 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jooann] Grooming a shih Zhi [In reply to] Can't Post

hi jooann...

im so sorry i have not been checking my mails for a long long time and i guess i too forgot to reply your mail.... anyway my e mail is ivanwongkh .com.. just feel free to email me
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my