a very stressed dog.. and owner..

mikamoron
Novice

Jan 7, 2004, 7:07 AM

Post #1 of 10 (2346 views)
Shortcut
a very stressed dog.. and owner.. Can't Post

hi everyone

we have a 4+ year old american cocker spaniel. due to circumstances, he now has to come live with me at my apartment. the problem is, Mika hates to be left alone. everytime we go out, he barks like mad really upset & pees EVERYWHERE really. any possible spot would be covered in pee. i tried to train him to do it in the balcony as i have filled it with lots of plants. we've come to realize the problem is not because he cannot keep his pee, it's to show us that he's upset. Just few days ago, I only stepped out for 2 minutes and when i came back, he peed at our tv stand. i now have no choice but to put him in his kennel everytime we go out. What happens when i have to be at work, that'd be 8 hours plus! i feel so bad now we are actually considering finding him a new home which he can have a happy doggy life that we cannot provide at this point of time. i feel so cruel cos that is the worst thing to do, but we are considering the option. If there's any solution anyone can suggest so we dont have to resort to that, please let me know!!

most desperate...

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 7, 2004, 8:38 AM

Post #2 of 10 (2341 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikamoron] a very stressed dog.. and owner.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Your dog is insecure and is exhibiting anxiety (separation anxiety, submissive peeing) ... all your dog wishes is for you to love it as it is trying to love you ...

But your kenneling and reprimanding the dog ... is probably making the situation worse and increasing your dog's anxiety ... There are may solutions ... but getting upset or angry with the doggie is not the answer ...

Please consider getting a good manual on dog behaviour and in the meantime ... do check the threads on separation anxiety and submissive peeing ... these topics have been extensively discussed in the forum ...

Try this thread ... http://www.puppy.com.my/...e%20urination;#72948

Cheers ... Smile

mikamoron
Novice

Jan 8, 2004, 11:20 AM

Post #3 of 10 (2325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] a very stressed dog.. and owner.. [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there..thanks for your respond..

i agree as there's no point reprimanding him.. it could also be due to a new place and unfamiliarity... in the mean time, we just have to be patient and try to train him again..

the articles on sepration anxiety were very helpful..thank you..

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 8, 2004, 8:23 PM

Post #4 of 10 (2322 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

All the best with your doggie ... I think you did great to adopt a dog ... well done ...

Cheers Smile

snoopdog
K9 Kaki

Jan 10, 2004, 6:24 PM

Post #5 of 10 (2302 views)
Shortcut

Smilehi mika,

good for you for adopting a doggy!

what surchinmy wrote is true. be patient with your doggy as you've said it's a new environment. a vet told me once that new environment really stresses dogs, really badly. please do get a training book. it's very useful. with lots of love, training and TLC, your doggy will be your companion for the rest of his life and they'll get more independent after knowing that he's confident that you will always be there for him and love him.

good luck!Cool

Ciao
Angeline + Maximus & Dome(miss u!)

rebooto
ALPHA

Jan 13, 2004, 5:29 PM

Post #6 of 10 (2283 views)
Shortcut

also if u wanna put him into his kennel....its best to put some of his favourite toys in it so that he could play/bite it to release some stress....hehehe

also i've read a book...rub the toys so that the toys have ur odor....they love ur odor on their toys...Wink

keep us update on ur progress!!!

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

comel23
Novice

Jan 14, 2004, 8:10 PM

Post #7 of 10 (2269 views)
Shortcut

Hi Mika

I must say how good it is for you to be able to accommodate your new dog. as for the peeing all over the place, I believe your dog is probably marking his new territory and also stressed with the new environment.

Marking is a huge problem - I can only suggest that you crate him and look out for the most common time that he needs to pee and pooo. Most dogs will need to go first thing in the morning, after meal and vigorous exercise. If you can try to make it consistent to take him out after these times, the dog will learn to time his bladder. I live in an apt and I usually take my doggies out 3 times a day to their thing. I suggest that as sson as you let him out the crate, get him to do his thing first before anything else - put him on leash so that he will not rush to soil inside the house. I am not sure if you want to toilet train him in the house or outside, but be consistent and watch him all the time. Do not correct or reprimand the dog when he pees in the house and you were not there to see it. It is too late and the dog will be confused as to why you are scolding him - even after 2 minutes. Only when you catch him in action, say "No,no,no" and then bring him to the spot you wants him to do it. Wash the spots that he has marked with diluted vinegar. You need to be patient as the dog as to get used to the new environment.

I hope this helps - good luck!!!!!!
Cheers Everyone

"Love Your Dog and You'll Be Loved Unconditionally"

mikamoron
Novice

Jan 15, 2004, 11:19 AM

Post #8 of 10 (2261 views)
Shortcut
Re: [comel23] a very stressed dog.. and owner.. [In reply to] Can't Post

hello all

oops i think i many have given a wrong impression.. i didnt adopt my dog, he belongs to us and was previously living with my dad & who's relocated recently... so mika came to live with me..

great news, thank you for your advice as mika seems to more settled in now.. he knows my routine now and he still did it in the apt every now and then... but if i keep my eye on him, its fine and he's learned to do it in the balcony now.. i also noticed he's reduced his barking now whenever i go out..

i've also learned to be more patient with him now Smile as i know its been really stressful for him cos of the moving and new home...

comel23
Novice

Jan 15, 2004, 11:18 PM

Post #9 of 10 (2253 views)
Shortcut

I am glad things are getting better - just be consistent as to what you want the dog to do...

Have a great weekend!!!!!!!
Cheers Everyone

"Love Your Dog and You'll Be Loved Unconditionally"

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jan 25, 2004, 9:17 PM

Post #10 of 10 (2224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [comel23] a very stressed dog.. and owner.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lilie,

I have lost your h/p number... aiyah...change fon so accidentally saved ur contact to my previous fon last time lor.... pls sms me ur contact again can ?

thanks ya !

cheers,
minglmy

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my