First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

shlee
Doggyman

Jan 5, 2004, 1:51 AM

Post #1 of 39 (6015 views)
Shortcut
Dog Surrender to PAWS Can't Post

Hi All,

I just found a puppy being abandoned in my nearby playground. She is exposed under the sun, without food and water. I'm just wondering the kids who like to play in the playground will throw something to the puppy, which i have seen before. Thus, i have taken the puppy away and sent her to PAWS, after few try to my friends, and I still couldn't find anybody wanted to adopt this loving puppy. I can't adopt her, because i already got a lot of dogs in my house.

But surprisingly, i need to pay RM80 for the surrender fee to PAWS. I thought it is only RM20. One of my neighbour had sent several puppies to SPCA before and the surrender fee is only RM20.

Can anybody tell me why is it expensive in PAWS if compared to SPCA? The staff in PAWS told me that, SPCA will normally put the puppy to sleep, just right after the person who sent them left. Because they know this kind of mongrel puppy would not be interested by people. So, SPCA will only keep those good looking puppy.

Just would like to find out here, is it true for the information i have? PAWS will keep all the puppy, but SPCA will just put them to sleep no matter how healthy they are?????

Anyway, finally i still decided to let the puppy stays in PAWS, which i believe she will be taken care over there.

I wish this puppy can find her loving master soon, because she is a very good puppy, very obedient and adorable!

*****Pls help to look for my MiMi (refer to my avatar for her pic)*****
*****MiMi, where are you now? I miss you.....*****

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 5, 2004, 7:22 AM

Post #2 of 39 (6000 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shlee] Dog Surrender to PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there,

for SPCA, the fee to be given when one surrenders his or her pet is actually in a donation form, which means that the amount is up to the dog owner and there's no fixed amount of fee... not sure how PAWS work...

from what i understand after a few months of volunteering in SPCA Ampang, puppies that are too young (meaning those still in need of the mother's milk) would most probably be put to sleep as there are no manpower to take care of the young pups that need to be fed at least 3 times a day...

another reason why puppies are put to sleep is because of space concern... i've mentioned many times in this forum... every week, more than 100 puppies, dogs, kittens and cats are brought into spca... there's just no space to keep all the animals... so spca has to put them to sleep... it's on the discretion of the vets there...

i would like to understand how PAWS operate with regards to euthanasia... i'm sure space is also a concern to them... and i think they do not receive as many animals as SPCA does...

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

shlee
Doggyman

Jan 5, 2004, 5:38 PM

Post #3 of 39 (5993 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Dog Surrender to PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

It's sad to hear it...due to lack of space, so majority of puppies will be put to sleep. If this is the case, i don't think i will send abandoned puppy to SPCA.

The surrender fee of PAWS is quite high...RM80. It might also stop people of sending dogs to PAWS. But for me, i will take it as a donation to the animal shelter. According to the staff there, they need RM80, becoz they will take a very good care of all the dogs, including heath check and etc. And the adoption fee will be RM100 for mongrel puppy, that's where they make the money...

gee
Novice

Jan 5, 2004, 10:47 PM

Post #4 of 39 (5983 views)
Shortcut

Hello,

I went to paws this weekend and was told that they do not put any dogs that they receive down. But if you have any suspicion, how about asking them to give you the contact number of the person who adopts your pup ? So that you can check on him occassionally to see if what they say is true. If it is true, then RM80 is probably peanuts.

For spca, it seems that you are paying the so called RM20 fees to have your pup put down.

Haven't been to spca, but the dogs in paws are very friendly. majority of them seem happy ! Any comments frm anybody ?

shlee
Doggyman

Jan 5, 2004, 11:04 PM

Post #5 of 39 (5980 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gee] Dog Surrender to PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

I was also being told, PAWS will never put any dog down, unless for those dog who is having serious illness. But SPCA will put majority of puppies to sleep, due to lack of space. They will only keep good looking or good breed puppies. That means if we send mongrel puppy to SPCA, we are actually indirectly sending them to "hell".....

I heard that SPCA doesn't has any standard fee for surrender a dog. It's up to you how much you want to give as a donation. The surrender fee for PAWS used to be RM50...but now is increased to RM80. Maybe they really need the money to take care of all the dogs or cats they have. I don't mind to give such money if they really can take a good care of all the dogs.

The puppy i sent is up for adoption now. I think she will be happy there becoz she got other puppies to play with her. And she doesn't need to worry about food and water now. At least she will be taken care and happy there, right?

I agreed with u, the dogs in PAWS look more happier, if compared to SPCA. I even saw some cage got fan for them, ha ha...they are enjoying their life in PAWS.

Once again, i hope the puppy i sent can be adopted by a loving master soon....

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jan 8, 2004, 10:12 AM

Post #6 of 39 (5943 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

For your concern of PAWS putting the pups to sleep I can say that for as long as I have been there, (I do go there every once in awhile when I'm free) and I have seen mostly the pups being adopted rather than being put to sleep.

I have seen a big Great Dane who is sooo old and weak but they still keep the dog till he passed away 1 year ago as they do not want to put the dog to sleep unless necessary. They require RM 80 for the surrender fees as they do not want ppl to put dogs away unnecessarily and they do require that kind of funds. As you can see, SPCA get more coverage from the press and have more donation drive in compare to PAWS who you'll rarely ever heard of.

cheers,
minglmy

shlee
Doggyman

Jan 8, 2004, 5:48 PM

Post #7 of 39 (5938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Dog Surrender to PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, i also noticed that PAWS will keep all the puppy and put them up for adoption. Whereas SPCA will put the puppies to sleep. That's why finally i still decided to surrender the puppy to PAWS with the surrender fee RM80. I don't mind to pay such money if they can take care of the puppy. I'm happy as long as the puppy can have a good home in PAWS. I think she must be happy staying there, becoz got other puppies playing with her Smile

It's so touched to hear that PAWS used to keep an old dog till he passed away. It showed that PAWS is really taking care of dogs, they are truly a dog lover!

I have seen some staff in PAWS, they looked like Indonesian worker...are they working there also? Sometimes i saw they played with the dogs!

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jan 8, 2004, 6:01 PM

Post #8 of 39 (5936 views)
Shortcut

Those I think is Myanmar or Filipino workers as they know how to converse in english and yes they do play with doggies Smile They even comb the dog's fur and cuddle the puppies when they are free...

cheers,
minglmy

shlee
Doggyman

Jan 8, 2004, 6:05 PM

Post #9 of 39 (5934 views)
Shortcut

Comb the dog? ha ha...they must be a dog lover too. Great to have them in PAWS to take care of the dogs over there.

Are they paid to work there?

Most probably i will drop by at PAWS by this weekend, to visit the dog i surrender last Sun. I miss her...even though i have just been with her for few hours only. But she is such a loving and obedient puppy. She deserves to have a good home, that's why i'm willing to spend RM80 for her, instead of seeing her been abandoned at the playground, got no food and no water...

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Jan 8, 2004, 7:03 PM

Post #10 of 39 (5932 views)
Shortcut

hi there ai_ney,

well wht u say is true, spca does not accept newborn puppies that need to be bottlefed..i have send in newborn kittens before n they told me that it would be put to sleep as there is no space n manpower to care for them..i actually felt very bad n regretted that ive brought them in...but this is the real world where reality is hard to face..therefore now with a few friends, we will try to help each other when there's a kitten or pup that we found...its really sad to see them to be put to sleeep...i understand ure a regular volunteer at spca as i got to know it from dr hasnul's staff marianne..but have u beeen to paws before? the condition there is terrible..they even abused dogs at paws...ive seen it with my own eyes n also thru stories that were told to me...ive actually seen them kicking the dogs!...and one of my friend rescued a dog from there due to some cruelty punishment to the dog...its sad..the dogs at spca is well fed n taken care of but not at paws...they will have to fight for food n some are left with wounds all over..Unsure im actually planning to go to paws sometimes before cny to deliver goods that im collecting from friends for them...would u like to help me out?? as i need some help to deliver the goods if possible,...thanks
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Jan 8, 2004, 7:11 PM

Post #11 of 39 (5931 views)
Shortcut

hi ming yang,

u were saying that the staffs at paws do take care of the dogs with love right?...im not against this but i have my reserved point of view..or maybe it is a coincidence that only one time thing..ive actually seen the staffs there kicking the dogs and treated them roughly..and have heard of some dogs being abused there..i mean i must admit spca better publicity and more funds therefore they could offer a better environment but at paws i find their staffs r not so friendly or appreciate when i donate things to them..i usually go on weekdays n those ppl there just stand around relaxing in the office n they dont even say thank you when i brought in the stuffs!!...i do feel a bit angry but for the dog's sake, i do occasionally continue to donate...while at spca is diiferent..maybe it was just my bad experience,,,maybe u could clear of some of my curiousitySmile
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jan 8, 2004, 9:21 PM

Post #12 of 39 (5928 views)
Shortcut

yes they are paid workers :)

cheers,
minglmy

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jan 8, 2004, 9:29 PM

Post #13 of 39 (5926 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ritchie_dog] Dog Surrender to PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ivan,

I'm saying that yes they do take care of the dogs there and do not put any dogs to sleep unless necessary. One thing we have to agree on is there is always 4 side to a box so things that we see might not be as bad as it seems. There is always a story behind an action so no comments here. I'm only telling what I see and what I know since I talked to the VP and the uncle of PAWS most of the time.

Most of the staff there does not talk to anyone and there is an old uncle there who is really friendly to all. But I think the one that you are refering to is the vet who is a bit snobbish and arrogant. There is some internal things going around and I don't think its my position to say anything in here so.... let's leave it at that lar ok

Well, in SPCA (I have been there few times before) the ppl there also dun even want to answer my questions when I ask them...(nearly wanted to adopt a dog there previously) and I'm sure there is a reason to it. But I'm sure everyone have bad experience here n there and there is no point in debating over it.

What we are doing -donations n all is all for the dogs only so... let's keep up the good work and help them all we cud ya !

I go there during weekdays too (curi-curi go there one ler....) ehehehehe

cheers,
minglmy

phoenix
K9 Kaki

Jan 8, 2004, 10:48 PM

Post #14 of 39 (5920 views)
Shortcut

Hi!

I think both shelters have their pros and cons. But both are there to help dogs (and cats) too, so, regardless of how the people act or show one-kind attitude...just care-less only! LaughLaugh ( I learn that from ai-ney LaughLaugh!)

Remember, it's always for the dogs (and cats)!! Wink

shlee
Doggyman

Jan 9, 2004, 1:47 AM

Post #15 of 39 (5914 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

It's true also, maybe there is pro and con for PAWS and SPCA. Actually, i also heard some bad attitude in SPCA. Whatever it is, i just care about the dogs there only.

So happy to hear that even though u don't really like PAWS, but u r still doing something for the dogs in PAWS. Keep the good work!

I also met the old uncle in PAWS, he is very friendly and seem like very care about the dogs there. Maybe i'm lucky, i never had any bad experience in both PAWS and SPCA. But, i will pay more attention to PAWS, first it is nearer to where i'm staying, second, there are less people paying attention to PAWS, so they need us!

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 9, 2004, 6:10 AM

Post #16 of 39 (5910 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

i, too, had once sent 3 puppies i found at an lrt station to spca... 1 got adopted and the other 2 put to sleep, as i was told... i promised myself not to send any stray puppies or dogs to any animal shelter anymore... Unimpressed

oh so u know marianne! i used to help out at spca every sunday, that was before i have my own dog... now, i try to spend my weekends with sookie, my pug, since i dun get to spend much time with her on weekdays... i try to go to spca whenever i can...

no i've never been to paws... made a few plans to go there but everytime it din work out... it's also quite far from me and i dun have a car yet...

sure i'd be happy to help u out... what sort of help do u need? well since i dun drive, i won't be able to help u send the stuff to paws, but would like to tag along!... let me know ya! u can write to me at ai_ney@hotmail.com...

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 9, 2004, 6:14 AM

Post #17 of 39 (5909 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phoenix] Dog Surrender to PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

hey phoenix!

eh u learn fast huh! Wink

yeap! always for the dogs! Cool

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery

ROSANNAMCCALL
Novice

Jan 9, 2004, 1:53 PM

Post #18 of 39 (5903 views)
Shortcut

Hi all,

Well, i go to PAWs quite regular and yes, I've seen the workers treat some of the dogs roughly but if we do say anything, who knows what happens to the poor dog after we leave.... it's sad ... but the dogs are better there than if caught by mpsj... the puchong dog pound is worst! the ppl not only mistreat the dogs, the dogs have only one place for food and water, imagine the fights that goes on there, many dogs die there esp the little ones are there are no separate cages for them. most of the time they are killed by the bigger and meaner dogs or die of thirst or simply put down if they survive the mpsj ride! The place for water is a old plastic barrel cut in half ... so the little one are too short to reach it...my friends call this MPSJ dog catches: Guards from Hell as they are so mean... they'll just throw the dogs in the cages in their trucks. Dogs will fight among themselves in the pitch dark and stuffy trucks, if they survive the journey to the pound. It is common that stories of these ppl going around catching home dogs as well.... my friend pleaded for her dog when they just napped him, they told no and took him away... i heard these ppl get commission for every dog they catches!! so whenever they sees dog, they'll napp!

Why do you think so many ppl were not allowed in after the publicity drive abt the place! Coz' they know ppl will complain! i urge as many of you to pls pls visit this place to help make it more humane for the dogs!!
Rosann

shlee
Doggyman

Jan 9, 2004, 5:35 PM

Post #19 of 39 (5899 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ROSANNAMCCALL] Dog Surrender to PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

Sigh...really pity those dogs...they are so adorable and loyal to human, but we as a human tend to be too cruel to them!!!!! I don't like to see any dog put to sleep unless necessary. I also feel sad for those dogs being caught by DBKL and waiting to "sleep" in the Puchong Pound.

I have been to Puchong Pound several times before to check out my stolen dog. The environment there is bad, but still got several cage for them. They seperated big dogs, small dogs and sick dogs into different cages. But, i didn't see any food or water for them.

But very strange that...i went there again after i read newspapers asking people to claim back their dogs from Puchong Pound, they didn't allow me to go inside again to check. They said there is no dog there at all, if yes i should able to hear their barking. Maybe something bad "happened" in the cage and thus they don't allow me to go inside and find out the truth!!!!!!

phoenix
K9 Kaki

Jan 9, 2004, 6:26 PM

Post #20 of 39 (5897 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ROSANNAMCCALL] Dog Surrender to PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Rosann

Where is this Puchong Dog pound situated? I'm not very familiar with Puchong.

We can make a complain at MPSJ if they refuse to let us in. No reason why they can't let us in.

phoenix
K9 Kaki

Jan 9, 2004, 6:34 PM

Post #21 of 39 (5896 views)
Shortcut

Hi ai-ney!

Yes, I do learn fast!!! LaughLaugh

Anyway, if you want to make a visit to PAWS, we can arrange a weekend and go together. I can pick you up. Distance is not a problem! You can bring Sookie with you too, if you want. Just send me an email at :

peng45@pd.jaring.my

I visited PAWS approx. 2 weeks ago to donate some dog food and enquire about volunteering but Dr Maha was out for awhile and didn't manage to talk to him.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 10, 2004, 6:56 AM

Post #22 of 39 (5885 views)
Shortcut

hey thanks for offering to give me a lift to paws... ok i shall write to u and see when can we go there... u live near paws?

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery

shlee
Doggyman

Jan 10, 2004, 7:20 PM

Post #23 of 39 (5880 views)
Shortcut

Hi ai_ney,

Just a curiousity here...how did PAWS and SPCA settle the body of the dogs after they have put to sleep?

Happy to hear that u might finanlly manage to visit PAWS. If i got time tomorrow, i will drop by also.

See you and have a nice day!

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 10, 2004, 10:39 PM

Post #24 of 39 (5878 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

a few people have asked me the same question... but i do not have the answer... i've never asked the spca staff or vet this question... i wonder too...

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery

phoenix
K9 Kaki

Jan 11, 2004, 5:29 AM

Post #25 of 39 (5873 views)
Shortcut

Hi!

No, I stay quite far from PAWS. I stay in KL city, so it takes me approximately 30mins just to drive there. But it's just pop in the car, start the engine and vroooomm!! Not a problem! Wink

"The reason a dog has so many friends, is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue"
- Anonymous

The Poisoned One speaks

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my