Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Dog Scratching

May
Old Hand

Jan 21, 2002, 5:28 PM

Post #1 of 11 (3671 views)
Shortcut
Dog Scratching Can't Post

My puppy always scratching her ear and biting her fur and tail eventhough after bathing. I have searched her body for flea but I found nothing. She still keep on scratching. What's the problem????

Pat

Jan 21, 2002, 5:58 PM

Post #2 of 11 (3664 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Dog Scratching [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear May,

Welcome to experiencing the common dog problem. I posted this issue on the General Dog Health and Care under "Itchy puppy". Read the thread and you will get some information there. After rulling out the shampoo and dog food allergies, I suspect that my dog is having ticks. I usually spray her with anti-tick but this month I did it a few days late and caught some ticks breeding on her. The ticks are very very small and hardly visible- this could be one of the many causes of itchiness.

Regards,

Pat
Pat, David
parents to Kiki-nicole choa

May
Old Hand

Jan 21, 2002, 6:43 PM

Post #3 of 11 (3659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pat] Dog Scratching [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Pat,

Thanks for your advice. I'll purchase the anti-tick spray today.Do I have to spray all over her body or just at the infected area? Do I have to do it every month? I used puppy shampoo with apple fragrance for my puppy and the pet shop owner said maybe the puppy does not used to the smell. Is this true?

Regards,

May

Pat

Jan 21, 2002, 6:56 PM

Post #4 of 11 (3655 views)
Shortcut

Dear May,

I got mine from the vet. It is to be used all over the body- you got to be careful with the products as the dosage depends on the age and weight of the puppy. Like I say, there are many causes to itchiness, it could also be the shampoo, food ,bedding, or out of boredom etc. etc. My shampoo is also recommended by my vet, it is specifically for sensitive skin. Also, you should check your puppy for rashes, if discovered, you are recommended to consult the vet. Previously Derrick also advised that it could be due to dry skin. I tried bathing her less but she is still scratching. Don't know about your puppy though. You could try to analyse the cause. I am still trying and will definitely exchange notes with you!

Pat
Pat, David
parents to Kiki-nicole choa

May
Old Hand

Jan 21, 2002, 7:50 PM

Post #5 of 11 (3654 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pat] Dog Scratching [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Pat,

Thanks for your advice. I did found something on my puppy skin. I do not know whether it's rashes or mosquito bite. The shampoo I'm using is for sensitive skin and I only bath her once a week although her doggie smell is quite strong by the 5th day. I will definately find out the cause though. If the problem still persist, I think I'll bring her to the vet.

Cheers!!

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Jan 21, 2002, 10:48 PM

Post #6 of 11 (3642 views)
Shortcut

If your dog has a strong smell even after bathing, she might have mites...best to go see the vet straight cause some kinds of mites can be deadly....first seen is skin becomes redish then has a little bit of pus and finally skin becomes black (mite feces) and coarse/rough....

May
Old Hand

Jan 22, 2002, 1:07 AM

Post #7 of 11 (3637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Dog Scratching [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Rainbow,

You remind me of my pup doggie smell. Yesterday after I bath her, she still smelly eventhough I was using a fragrance puppy syampoo. I think I'll take her to the vet this evening. I don't know how she can be infected with mites since she just mingle around the house and car porch.Unsure

Regards,

May
Old Hand

Jan 22, 2002, 5:41 PM

Post #8 of 11 (3626 views)
Shortcut

Hi!!!!

I brought my pup to the vet yesterday evening. Well, she has been bitten by something i.e. mosqitoes, ants etc thats why she was scratching her body and cause some red patches. The vet puts her on some antibiotic and liquid to ease the itchiness. According to the vet, if she still scratch after she finish the medicine, that should be normal since she's teething and her body is under hormonal changes, just like us human develop pimples during teenage. Smile

Regards,

Derrickok
Novice

Jan 22, 2002, 6:55 PM

Post #9 of 11 (3625 views)
Shortcut

Well May, if you believe in what the veterinarian had said to you, then good luck to you. I am just curious why he puts your puppy on antibiotic when in effect there is no infection? and for skin to absorb antibiotic the rate is 0%.
The catch here is "if she still scratch after she finish the medicine, that should be normal since she's teething and her body is under hormonal changes," That is what you said the vet said.
Regards.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Jan 22, 2002, 10:57 PM

Post #10 of 11 (3618 views)
Shortcut

Well May, in regards to your question as to where your puppy may have gotten mites, could be from stray dog, from wind...from bird...any possibility...but since you've been to the vet and have found out the cause of your puppy itching, then it should be no problem...

Is her condition improving after medication??

May
Old Hand

Jan 23, 2002, 5:42 PM

Post #11 of 11 (3611 views)
Shortcut

Her condition has improved and she scratch much lesser now Smile.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my