Puppy biting

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

May
Old Hand

Jan 18, 2002, 6:11 PM

Post #1 of 33 (9950 views)
Shortcut
Puppy biting Can't Post

My puppy used to lick my feet but now she bite my feet Mad I have tried the "ouch" method but she still bite my feet. Is there any other method I can try? Please help.

jason
Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2002, 6:55 PM

Post #2 of 33 (9946 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Puppy biting [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all, you shouldn't let her to bite your feet. Try to avoid that. This is a common puppy behavior and she may want to play with you or she is in her teething period. You can try to get a small ball or nylon bone for her to bite on when you are playing with her.

regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

May
Old Hand

Jan 18, 2002, 8:00 PM

Post #3 of 33 (9943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Puppy biting [In reply to] Can't Post

She's always excited when she sees me either in the morning or when I returned from work. I know she wants to play with me and she's in her teething stage too. I bought toys for her but she will stop playing when she sees me. I tried to avoid her biting but she thinks I'm playing with her. Please help.

Pat

Jan 21, 2002, 5:49 PM

Post #4 of 33 (9932 views)
Shortcut

Dear May,

It is quite common for puppy to naughty- nibble when they are playful. I guess may be it wants to be close to you. You should discourage it though because it may develop a rough habit of biting people as a game. Try to hold on to her mouth and shut it and tell her a firm "NO" whenever she bites, and play with her by stroking her or tummy-rub her, she will soon realise that you are not enjoying the nibbling.

Pat
Pat, David
parents to Kiki-nicole choa

May
Old Hand

Jan 21, 2002, 6:38 PM

Post #5 of 33 (9931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pat] Puppy biting [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Pat. I'll try your method and let you know the result.

Cheers!!!

May
Old Hand

Feb 27, 2002, 5:57 PM

Post #6 of 33 (9909 views)
Shortcut

Dear Pat,

I have tried your method but it didn't work. Now with a stronger jaw and new set of teeth, her biting really hurts. The worst was she bite my father until he bleed. Luckily the wound not so bad.

I think the problem is my mum always let her bite her hands. I always ask my Mum not to do that but she said the puppy with stop biting when she grows older. I do provide a few toys for my pup but when she see someone sit on the floor, she will come and bite their hand.

Please help!!!

ck_yap
Novice

Feb 28, 2002, 7:08 AM

Post #7 of 33 (9903 views)
Shortcut

May, ur case sounds very much like my min pinscher, she likes to bite fingers from puppyhood till 1 year plus even though we kept scold her she never quits until recently we found out that what she wanted was for us to pat her. When we stop patting her, she would again bite our fingers as in asking us to continue patting her. Funny har ? Smile

Pat

Feb 28, 2002, 6:17 PM

Post #8 of 33 (9897 views)
Shortcut

Dear May,

Once it has developed a habit it is difficult to undo. Your mom should never let it bite her hand. Sooner or later your dog would be even more difficult to control, not to mention dangerous with kids and guests. It is no wonder she prefers flesh to toys because it tastes better ma! My 2cents is to start disciplining the dog -the HARD way if positive reinforcement is not working. This is how I punish my KIKI so that she knows what is right or wrong, and on top it all, who is the boss. Needs patience too.

REgards,
Pat
Pat, David

jason
Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2002, 8:01 PM

Post #9 of 33 (9894 views)
Shortcut

Ya, I agree with you, Pat!
Sometime, we need to punish our doggie physically so that they really know that.
May, try to do something on your dog as early as possible so that it won't disappointing you at the end!Smile
Good luck!

Regards

May
Old Hand

Feb 28, 2002, 8:06 PM

Post #10 of 33 (9893 views)
Shortcut

Physical punishment? How?

jason
Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2002, 8:22 PM

Post #11 of 33 (9892 views)
Shortcut

May,

Since your condition is quite bad, you can try to use a roll up of newspaper to smash her back side and say NO NO NO. I used to do this when my boxers were very naughty!!Tongue

Regards

ginl
ALPHA

Mar 1, 2002, 12:55 AM

Post #12 of 33 (9885 views)
Shortcut

My pup does the exact same thing...he bites and chases after my toes....it's so hard to walk with something targeting at your every step...what I'm doing is giving him a light smack on his butt or mouth....it seems to work at times, he doesn't bite as much as before but sometimes he thinks I'm playing with him and goes on to his usual attacks. I've tried the newspaper thingy but he thinks I'm playing a new game with him! I can't even really pat or stroke him he just attacks my fingers. If I tell him NO and stares at him straight in the eyes he wud bark back at me. Plus I noticed when he is bored playing with his toys he wud bite and pull my t-shirt. He's 3 mths old and I suppose it's the puppy stage he's going through...hope this will pass...I'm already having tiny scratches all over my feet and handsFrown

Derrickok
Novice

Mar 1, 2002, 1:15 AM

Post #13 of 33 (9879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Puppy biting [In reply to] Can't Post

welcome to the forum Ginl
How about visiting the members' introduction page and give us an introduction. There are 19 I think, why don't you bring it up to 20?
ThankQ.

ginl
ALPHA

Mar 1, 2002, 1:23 AM

Post #14 of 33 (9875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Puppy biting [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Derric....actually I've already introduced myself in the intro section....just yesterday in fact.....having a hard time keeping up with my high strung pup so any help frm you guys will be super

Khoobg
Webmaster / Moderator

Mar 1, 2002, 1:31 AM

Post #15 of 33 (9871 views)
Shortcut

The dalmatian just woke up from afternoon nap and must have missed your introduction posted a day earlier.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

Derrickok
Novice

Mar 1, 2002, 3:20 AM

Post #16 of 33 (9865 views)
Shortcut

Thousand apologies. It must either be old age + absent- mindedness.
I had said it before once, but nobody seemed to take it seriously and thought I was leading those with small dogs and puppies up the wrong path.
I said, those with small dogs and puppies under 20lbs, pick it up with both your hands under the arm pit and shake the daylight out of it until he realises that this is your secret weapon.
Well, if anyone thinks otherwise, I am prepared to prove my point at 20 to 1 odds on.

Pat

Mar 1, 2002, 6:40 PM

Post #17 of 33 (9856 views)
Shortcut

Uncle Derrick,

I tried your method la, my dog really enjoyed it leh. Either I am not strong or my dog is too heavy, shake also like dancing cha cha. Your newspaper technique is also not painful saccording to her. What I do is to give her 2 tight slap on her month until my hand aches.

If my dog is naughty when boarding at your place, you can shake the daylight out of her la. But she is quite an angel at a new place.

Regards,
Patricia
Pat, David

Derrickok
Novice

Mar 1, 2002, 7:30 PM

Post #18 of 33 (9853 views)
Shortcut

Miss.Pat,
You Kiki is more than 20lbs lah!!Crazy
No wonder she loves it lohShocked
I am going to board her on the balcony make a harness and winch her up and down to do her shee shee.
See Ya.

Pat

Mar 1, 2002, 7:52 PM

Post #19 of 33 (9851 views)
Shortcut

Wah! Sounds like fun. Add bungee jumping also hor.
Pat, David

ginl
ALPHA

Mar 1, 2002, 8:12 PM

Post #20 of 33 (9844 views)
Shortcut

Dog shake...hhmmm I've tried that before but it didn't seem to work...maybe I didn't shake him enuff? I've also tried holding his mouth firmly together and give him a stern NO but as soon as I release him he starts again. I was wondering if I cud take him for a walk and tire him down so he wudn't be so hyper all the time? He's only 3 mths old and I know if the puppy hasn't finished his 3 vaccinations yet u shdn't associate him with other dogs but what about just a walk. Is it advisable since he is only 3 mths old? I read that JRTs are very energetic in nature maybe that's the reason why.

Derrickok
Novice

Mar 1, 2002, 9:41 PM

Post #21 of 33 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Not really advisable to take him out for walks.Please go to section where I posted distemper etc etc.
All puppies are energetic and very active. But you must not over exert its capabilities that is to make it so exhausted that it may cause damage to its heart, lungs and bone formation.
With regard to MKA registration, I will ask you those questions in the correct section.
Regards.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Mar 2, 2002, 4:07 AM

Post #22 of 33 (9824 views)
Shortcut

Was talking to a friend about dogs and she mentioned her dog always bite her ..since puppyhood to adulthood..so I'm curious what causes puppies to want to bite? Seems like a lot of you are having these problems..maybe if we can figure out the root of the problem, we can solve this biting.

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Rainbow -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Derrickok
Novice

Mar 2, 2002, 6:11 AM

Post #23 of 33 (9821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Puppy biting [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, it is not biting, they are being playful. I have a 7 year old Dalmatian, occasionally she will bite my hands and arms just want to play and attracts attention.
Biting means, one byte=22 stitches which I am carrying on my right arm.

jason
Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2002, 6:19 AM

Post #24 of 33 (9819 views)
Shortcut

Ya ... sometime you will notice they (doggies) bite your hands in a soft manner, and not the aggressive one Wink. Also, when they are too excited and forgot their limit, they will bite you in a harder way!

Regards

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Mar 2, 2002, 6:37 AM

Post #25 of 33 (9817 views)
Shortcut

Okay...I shall take note of that. I find it interesting because I have had 3 dogs and have never come across this problem..

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Rainbow -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my