Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Eye Care and Conditions:
Tears irritating lower lid

kitten
Dog Kichi

Dec 30, 2003, 8:21 PM

Post #1 of 10 (2513 views)
Shortcut
Tears irritating lower lid Can't Post

Anyone has any idea how to sooth irritated eyelids of a dog? My furkid has very bad tearing. I put eye drops and dap her eyes everyday for the past month. Seems to be helping. But for the past 2 days, the inner corner of her lower eye lid (where the tears come out) is red and swollen and the upper lid is also a bit red and swollen. Any idea how to sooth the skin there? Can I dab a bit of rosehip or lavendar oil there? Unsure

Laura & Babe

Kowpa

Dec 30, 2003, 8:34 PM

Post #2 of 10 (2512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitten] Tears irritating lower lid [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Anyone has any idea how to sooth irritated eyelids of a dog? My furkid has very bad tearing. I put eye drops and dap her eyes everyday for the past month. Seems to be helping. But for the past 2 days, the inner corner of her lower eye lid (where the tears come out) is red and swollen and the upper lid is also a bit red and swollen. Any idea how to sooth the skin there? Can I dab a bit of rosehip or lavendar oil there? Unsure

ask your vet please be4 coming to this forum. If you already see the vet now what did the vet says

kitten
Dog Kichi

Dec 30, 2003, 8:55 PM

Post #3 of 10 (2511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] Tears irritating lower lid [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi kowpa, went to the vet about this. Vet said the irritation is due to the tears and her rubbing, common for my breed. I was already keeping her hair short and face clean. So he told me to add eye drops to the agenda, twice a day. It was improving. I think my furkid been nosing around again so her lids got irritated again from the dust. This happens every now and then. I just want to sooth her skin there while it recovers so that she don't rub her face so much.

Laura & Babe

Kowpa

Dec 30, 2003, 9:04 PM

Post #4 of 10 (2510 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi kowpa, went to the vet about this. Vet said the irritation is due to the tears and her rubbing, common for my breed. I was already keeping her hair short and face clean. So he told me to add eye drops to the agenda, twice a day. It was improving. I think my furkid been nosing around again so her lids got irritated again from the dust. This happens every now and then. I just want to sooth her skin there while it recovers so that she don't rub her face so much.

What breed is it? Is it a peke!

kitten
Dog Kichi

Dec 30, 2003, 9:50 PM

Post #5 of 10 (2506 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] Tears irritating lower lid [In reply to] Can't Post

maltese x shihtzu

Laura & Babe

rebooto
ALPHA

Dec 30, 2003, 9:53 PM

Post #6 of 10 (2506 views)
Shortcut

i think there is a eye lotion for pup in the market...u may try that product...

my pup is a shih tzu and also having that problem. Previously, his fur under his eye was actually dried out and the fur became hard and smelly too. I was afraid that his eye will get infection..so been doing some home work lately....hehehe

so from my research..there is a lot of product for dog's eyes....but i think there is 1 kind that is good which is the lotion but always consult ur vet about it as pet shop only sell them.

BTW, i'm using Optrex on his eye for like once in awhile if his eye feel a bit sticky...and also i've use it to clean the hardened fur below his eyes.

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

kitten
Dog Kichi

Dec 30, 2003, 10:59 PM

Post #7 of 10 (2503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rebooto] Tears irritating lower lid [In reply to] Can't Post

Optrex!!! I have forgotten about that completely....Laugh That's one thing I'll be trying. I was thinking of putting cool chamomile teabags on her lids tonight.

I know what you mean. Babe use to be like that, dried out tears on fur that makes it hard and smelly and her skin will get irritated and no amount of doggy tear lotion gets it out. I trim her face hair and wipe her face daily, but it only helps that much. Even now, with twice daily eye drops, I still see mucus on her eyes occasionally in the evening.

Thanks a lot rebooto!

Laura & Babe

rebooto
ALPHA

Dec 30, 2003, 11:07 PM

Post #8 of 10 (2502 views)
Shortcut

yeah....Optrex or Eye Mo....was told by ai_ney that her vet said its alright to use that. but i think it design for human so i guess its not so good to use for lots of time...so i decided not to use that so often...but since Baby is now a big boy...not much crying when we leave him alone...so guess he won't cry that much...also we try to comb his fur facing the opposite position of his eye...so that it won't puke his eye and comes again...hehehe

wah, cool chamomile teabags ....even me and my gf also have got that so good treatment for our own eyes...LaughLaughTongueTongue

ur welcome...Wink.....do keep us inform on ur progress...Smile

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

kitten
Dog Kichi

Jan 10, 2004, 1:08 AM

Post #9 of 10 (2497 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rebooto] Tears irritating lower lid [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Rebooto, Just an update. I was told by the vet also to use Eye Mo on my furkid twice a day. Seems to be helping but she still tears alot. I am hoping that it will abate more once we have finished moving house. As for the swelling at the corners of her inner lids, it is going down slowly. Unimpressed But at least it is going down now, 70% recovered now. Wink

Laura & Babe

rebooto
ALPHA

Jan 10, 2004, 1:24 AM

Post #10 of 10 (2496 views)
Shortcut

ohhh yeah...that is a great great news then.....great job...WinkWink

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my