Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
He won't pee on walks!

riley
New User

Dec 24, 2003, 3:17 PM

Post #1 of 14 (2129 views)
Shortcut
He won't pee on walks! Can't Post

Our 16 year old dog died last spring, and we now have a new puppy. He is 11 weeks old, and will not pee on walks. He sometimes poops, but mostly he picks up sticks, rocks, acorns etc. and sniffs. Is he just too young to know that walks are for elimination? He mainly pees and poops in my front yard, but I'd like him to learn to "go" when we walk or go to the beach!
Thanks! RileyUnimpressed

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 25, 2003, 6:03 PM

Post #2 of 14 (2116 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riley] He won't pee on walks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Depending on where you got your puppy from ... your puppy may not be used to eliminating during walks ... For example: Puppies who have been reared in cement kennels or runs, take some time to learn that they can eliminate on grass or soil ... But its not an issue and most pups learn in pretty quick time ...

But house training is required ... and this is a great time to invest in a good training manual ... Smile ...worth every penny ... for sure!

House training as a topic has been discussed quite extensively in the forum ... so do make a search and am sure you will find useful information ...

In the meantime ... pups generaly have need to eliminate soon after meals & drink ... so you can try taking your pup for a short walk AFTER feeding ... and you should find your pup eliminating during the walk ...

Cheers & Seasons's Greetings Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Dec 25, 2003, 6:06 PM)

mackmack
Doggyman

Dec 25, 2003, 6:19 PM

Post #3 of 14 (2114 views)
Shortcut

How long would you walk your dog each time? Would suggest you to bring your pup for a walk after his meal, but don't expect he will release himself in a minute time. try to walk him further and longer, until he pee/poo then praise him. Next time, try to walk him the same path and bring him back to the same spot. Usually they could sniff their "own droppoings" and release on the same spot.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

jaytan
Canine Addict

Dec 27, 2003, 10:26 PM

Post #4 of 14 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Hi Riley, Sometimes my puppies will poop and pee the moment they hit the field. Other times, and I dont know why, they are engrossed with something else, and will only do their duty after 2 or 3 rounds. Maybe too busy with some new scents but cannot tahan anymore after walking longer. When only 11 weeks old their behaviour was not always consistent but it improves fast as they grew. Best regards,J

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Dec 28, 2003, 5:10 AM

Post #5 of 14 (2099 views)
Shortcut

I'm pretty sure that eventually, your pup will pee when he is taken for a walk. When he does, PRAISE him well. Everytime he does it, don't forget to praise him. When I first started walking my GSD pup, she wouldn't pee either. It was about 2 weeks until she started to pee outside.

-= Tisha =-

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 30, 2003, 8:17 AM

Post #6 of 14 (2088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack,riley] He won't pee on walks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,Smile

Walking him after a meal is a good idea. But not too soon though, there would be a higer risk of bloat.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

mackmack
Doggyman

Dec 30, 2003, 5:30 PM

Post #7 of 14 (2085 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] He won't pee on walks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Should be Okay.... to me, walking is for pee poo and relax.... jogging is the one for exercise.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 30, 2003, 7:27 PM

Post #8 of 14 (2082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] He won't pee on walks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know..but that's what I read.. and since the dog pants on walks, I do not want to risk it.

For me,better safe than sorrySmile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

(This post was edited by RealityDreamer on Dec 30, 2003, 7:29 PM)

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 31, 2003, 12:33 AM

Post #9 of 14 (2074 views)
Shortcut

quite true on the better safe than ssorry.

i've found the bloated part true on our late boxer....especially after one of the heavy meals that dad normally feeds her.

what we normally do is take her at leats half hour afteer the meal. maybe she pants big time too as we walk downhill and will obviously have to crawl our way uphill home too!

with shalom, its business time within 10 minutes of her meal. but she's stopped her walkies as she's not completed her vaccinations. but she's allowed to roam the apartment for 10 minutes (plus minus) before being placed into the business room...

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 31, 2003, 9:16 AM

Post #10 of 14 (2070 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] He won't pee on walks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Just wondering..hope you don't mind,how long after the meal did you walk your boxer?

10mins is pretty quick.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 31, 2003, 6:17 PM

Post #11 of 14 (2069 views)
Shortcut

christie is a minimal of 15 minutes. largeely it is 30 minutes (the time that the humans at home take to makan or get ready to go out etc).

shalom does not eat much..so i think 10 minutes really long ime for her.

but christie's habit started only wheen she was 6 years old....before that she walked then ate. only when i joined the family did the routine change.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jan 2, 2004, 2:28 AM

Post #12 of 14 (2063 views)
Shortcut

oh..i see

ThanksSmile

Also, how many minutes after her walk before she ate?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

a_evie
Doggyman

Jan 2, 2004, 5:44 PM

Post #13 of 14 (2059 views)
Shortcut

cristie the boxer is a good walkies doggie. she pees the moment we release her and poops (2 patches at least) after 5 minutes of walkies (round 1) and the 2nd would be when we whistle time is up (something like 15 minutes). sometimes we don't whistle because she gives the "i wanna poop" walk. so we leave her to walk but th moment we head uphill, she does the business real quick and chases afteer us (challenge uphill).

actually i think she is quick as she hates to walk alone. she would not leave for walkies unless one of us from home accompany her.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jan 2, 2004, 7:50 PM

Post #14 of 14 (2057 views)
Shortcut

ah...ok Smile Thanks

reminds me of my little one,Silky.Cool
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my