Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
How to train my adult dog to be gentle with new puppy?

kbs
Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2002, 10:03 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1498 views)
Shortcut
How to train my adult dog to be gentle with new puppy? Can't Post

Hi All,

I have a 14 months old female Beagle (Snuffy) and just recently (few days ago) I have just bought a new Beagle pup (7 weeks) home. Snuffy was okay when first introduce to the new pup, all she did was to sniff him non-stop and did not show any sign of aggresive manner at all (first day), on second day, I tried to let them play together, snuffy was all the time sniffing the new pup as well but this time, she is trying to flip him around with her head all the time (second day).. Later, she not only sniff, trying to flip him around, but now trying to press him with her paws as well. (third day).. Today, she not only did all those mentioned, she is barking at him all the time outside his crate and gate (She is just sitting infront of that little pup crate/gate and start barking) I have to scold her for her to stop, then later she will quietly goto the puppy's room and do the same thing again.

For the past few days, I have tried to let them socializing together (with my supervision) for about 5 - 10 mins/days. I still have not sure if snuffy is okay with the little pup or she will be agressive (she has never try to bite the puppy at all throughout, but everytime she seems wanting to play with him but abit on the rough side).

Just wondering, is there any training tips to properly educate our adult dog to accept the new pup and not hurting them? This is the first time for me to have more than 1 dog at a same time.

Ah additional to the above, snuffy has been acting strangely by peeing and pooing at wrong places which she has never done before since the arrival of the new pup. Frown

TIA,
KBS

(This post was edited by kbs on Nov 10, 2002, 10:07 AM)

boon
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2002, 11:59 AM

Post #2 of 8 (1489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kbs] How to train my adult dog to be gentle with new puppy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi KBS,

Heheheh, may be snuffy jerlous leh...u gotta put more love to them then ever before Tongue.

Initially when i adpoted Anne (my GSD) Bonney also acted strange, by simply barking non stop, but after a few days, is OK lio, but i do let them play, eat together, i mean share a same bowl (yes, purposesly do so) in order to reduce the potential conflict. But now no more, is separated in their own bowl.

Hope this help, but i think what snuffy eat may not be the sam as your new beagle puppy eat. So is a bit hard to apply it here.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Nov 11, 2002, 5:48 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1478 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kbs] How to train my adult dog to be gentle with new puppy? [In reply to] Can't Post

There's nothing to be worried about at all. My Dobermann, Sandra has adapted very well to the new pups I've introduced her to. Initially, there'll be a bit of snapping to establish who's the boss around here, but after that, they'll be OK. Sandra sometimes snaps at the other dogs if they get too playful (she's old, and she prefers snoozing instead of playing with a hyper dog Tongue)

Sometimes when they play, they get carried away, but not to worry... puppies are amazingly agile, and can handle the roughplay. The barking sounds like she wants to play with the pup. Also, the snuffy is probably peeing and all to try to mark her scent in the house so that the pup knows that it's snuffy's territory. I'm sure your dogs will get along just fine!

-= Tisha =-

arthur
ALPHA

Nov 11, 2002, 7:53 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1477 views)
Shortcut

Hi Kbs,

First of all, congrats to your second beagle puppy! You got a name for him/her yet?

Just to add my comments to the excellent feedback that you have received so far.. In a multi-dog household, other than the Big Alpha (that's you), there'll be another pecking order to be established. Naturally Snuffy will try to exert her dominance. Let her do so and hopefully, after a few days, things will settle down once everyone is sure where they stand. During this time, make effort to reassure Snuffy of her position like feeding her first during meal time, play with her first, etc..

My experience: Pepper is my dominant doggie. Later she got along well with Lee Sha cos' Lee Sha is naturally submissive. When Lee Ron (at 8 weeks) came along, BOTH the older ones ignored the little fella for the 1st day home. (Little Lee Ron cried missing his big family..4boys,3girls) Later, Pepper accepted him (after all the posturing, stepping on him, barking etc..) but Lee Sha only warmed up to him about 5 days later. Thoughout all this time, I paid particular attention to the pecking order during their normal activities like feeding, walking, playing, etc. Basically, once the older ones feel secure in their places with this new addition, things should settle down.

Rdgs Arthur

kbs
Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2002, 6:34 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1469 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] How to train my adult dog to be gentle with new puppy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Boon,Pyromaniac & Arthur,

Thanks for all ur helpful informations, that certainly helps and made me feel better.

Snuffy so far has never try to bite or show sign of agreesive to the little fella, she is all the time wanting to play with that little fella and even the little fella is asleep, she will bark and try to wake him up then both of them are tearing the newspaper together Crazy (one outside the guide gate & the other one inside). When I let them play together yesterday, the little one has actually has no fear over snuffy roughness & a lot of times trying to snap on snuffy and he succeeded a few times snapping snuffy's ear and snuffy screamed. The little one is quite garang that a few incident that the little one is chasing over snuffy wanting to bite her. Even then, snuffy just bark at him a little and never try to attack him back. I must say they are getting along better now, altough all the time I am afraid snuffy will accidentally step on the little pup.

Snuffy stills pooing especially not at her usual places and she seems to know that it is wrong as right after she did so, she will hide herself or lie down looking at me before I even scold her. I don't feed them together , the little fella is still being confined within a gate and crate and snuffy is freely roaming around the house and they don't eat the same type of food (Snuffy has succeeded curi some of the pup food when I let the gate opened but she just left it everywhere instead of eating it). And one other thing, I passed some snuffy's baby toy over to the little pup and snuffy seems ok with it. She just smell and trying to play together with the little one.

Oh yeah, the new puppy is a male and his name is "Archie"

Thanks,
KBS

arthur
ALPHA

Nov 11, 2002, 7:54 PM

Post #6 of 8 (1463 views)
Shortcut

Hi Kbs,

Nice to know your 2 furkids are getting along. Looks like Snuffy is playing the role of big sister to little Archie. Keeps you busy right? Poor Snuffy ears.. Archie's puppy teeth must be sharp!

Rdgs Arthur

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Nov 11, 2002, 9:01 PM

Post #7 of 8 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Sounds like Archie will become the dominant one when he grows up! Wink

-= Tisha =-

TohCS
Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2002, 8:37 PM

Post #8 of 8 (1435 views)
Shortcut

Hi KBS,

When feeding the dogs do you have someone in the house to help out ? If so you can feed them at the same time. Even if they are at different rooms they can still smell and hear that you are feeding the other dog. By feeding them the same time it show that there is no favouritism. If there is no one to help out with the feeding then take turns. Eg today you feed Snuffy first, tomorrow you feed Archie first ,etc.

As for toys, even when Snuffy shares her toys does Archie takes the toys away from Snuffy ? Try getting more toys.

Since Archie is not yet fully toilet train, and still pee and poo all over Snuffy probably feels that why Archie can pee and poo anywhere wheres she Snufffy can't do that. Hopefully by the time Archie is fully toilet train Snuffy will be back to her usuall routine.

Or perhaps it is a sign of territorial marking. By peeing and pooing all over Snuffy is telling Archie "Hey this is my terriroty" (including the mattress). The only way according to the books is to start as though Snuffy is a new puppy and house train her all over again.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my