First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 29, 2003, 9:24 PM

Post #51 of 56 (1116 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie] stubborn walk [In reply to] Can't Post

Nat,

Congrats, u must have done something right at least. The wise saying goes true that "a tired dog is a good dog indeed"

My only concerns is your mention of a "Long Walk 1 hour walk". In puppies, this could be detrimental to their future wellbeing. Please be careful.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

nathalie
Doggyman

Dec 29, 2003, 9:57 PM

Post #52 of 56 (1114 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] stubborn walk [In reply to] Can't Post

u mean long walks r detrimental to puppies? mine is 2 years n 6 months ..is it still detrimental?

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 29, 2003, 10:23 PM

Post #53 of 56 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie] stubborn walk [In reply to] Can't Post

Nat,

2 years and above is ok but try not to over exert if they are not used to such long walk. Good to take things one at a time. Same like us, cant straight go into a Marathon from a couch potato without incuring detriment. rite. Anyway will let you to judge your doggie.Smile

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

jaytan
Canine Addict

Dec 30, 2003, 11:54 PM

Post #54 of 56 (1102 views)
Shortcut

Hi PSD, At first I tried to use what is discribed as classical conditioning especially for toilet training. OK lah but the training is not very direct, results slow and less controlled. Thanks for enlightening me on Operand Conditioning. I was experimenting in that direction and it is a wee bit clearer to me now. Yesterday, I found that I could get both puppies to start a focussed and interactive walk within a few minutes, when I applied the theory more clearly. Appreciate your sharing ideas here. Best regards,J

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 31, 2003, 12:20 AM

Post #55 of 56 (1101 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] stubborn walk [In reply to] Can't Post

Jay,

Both these conditioning must be used hand in hand. Like the use of papers to provoke the pee action. the puppy will be led to the paper and once he smell the paper and then pee.....that is classical. U then reinforce that with Good boy and followed by a treet ....that is Opperant.

In training I have often found....myself is also guilty sometimes in the begining when we always wanted a faster results. Due to that we rush through without really giving the dog the time to learn properly. This is just human nature actually and nothing is wrong here. Just that when we are thinking we are going faster, we are actually creating loopholes in our sessions and all these loopholes will give our dog a poor foundation and one day all those will collapse. So it is very important to tell ourselves that "to go slow is actually going faster" since once the dog gets the idea of good things comes by doing certain behaviour he will always train u to give him treets. This makes the whole training session so much easier. So the highest aim in dog training is not u the great ultimo dog trainer.....rather for the dog to train u. Smile

PSD

(This post was edited by PSD on Dec 31, 2003, 12:37 AM)

jaytan
Canine Addict

Jan 5, 2004, 11:25 PM

Post #56 of 56 (1080 views)
Shortcut

Hi again PSD, Yes, yes, Classical and Operand are clear to me in your example of potty training. Thanks for showing me the light. The going slow part also makes a lot of sense. After my small success, the next day my puppies tried to stage a rebellion. On hindside I realise they must have sensed my anxiety and resisted my pushyness. After that I took them for a relaxed walk cos my girl was still recovering from her spaying operation. To my astonishment, the walk was so pleasant without my hardly having to give any commands. They just seemed to remember their previous training. I guess, my doggies are doing a good job training me, hahahaha. Best regards,J

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my