Home: Breed Specific: Gundog Group:
Problem????Retriever

ndeetan
Novice

Dec 20, 2003, 5:10 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1299 views)
Shortcut
Problem????Retriever Can't Post

My retriever cant walk and have to under go operation on her left leg (back). The doctor said her socket had out of the position.

He said is kinda common among the retriever.

Went for operation, she is ok but still cant walk properly meantime.

Pls advise if anyone share the same experience.

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 20, 2003, 10:06 AM

Post #2 of 8 (1294 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ndeetan] Problem????Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

hi

i've heard at least 3 cases of GRs needing operation because of the socket at their hind leg being out of position.

and yes all of the owners tell me after operation the dogs will walk well without a problem.

don't worry much 'bout it. when did she went for operation? if she just came back from the operation dun let her walk too much.

regards,
hunter

ndeetan
Novice

Dec 21, 2003, 9:55 PM

Post #3 of 8 (1283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Problem????Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks... pretty sad looking at her wound. she is so young only 9 months. she went thri operation 2 days ago and now resting, i try not let her walk too much by trying to tie her up. only will let her walk when i am at the garden.

getting very skinner now. guess have to wait another 1 month before she could recover. suppose to go for the classes at padang emrbuk in Jan, guess have to postpone already.

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 22, 2003, 5:53 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1280 views)
Shortcut

hello

don't feel sad, you're doing what's best for her. and the good thing is u know this early. the earlier u treat the problem seriously the sooner she'll have her hip problem fixed.

still, not too much of walkin'... or the stitches wouldn't look nice either when removed. and yes they do get skinnier a LOT after operations, but will be back they're old self pretty soon :) after all, dogs are pretty tolerant to pain.

yes it's a good idea to postpone the training.. don't want to make the hips worst there :) have u paid the fees yet? if that is so, discuss this with the ppl at mka office earlier before classes commence.

regards,
hunter

strawhoney
K9 Maniac

Dec 22, 2003, 5:11 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1276 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

This is a common problem for this breed...please take care of your dearie well..

Hope she gets well soon..

Odie N Mommy
Meme

odie moves MY world!

shawnlim
Canine Addict

Dec 22, 2003, 7:05 PM

Post #6 of 8 (1271 views)
Shortcut

hie!!!
my golden retriever also having hips problem...
i hv consult the vet and the vet told me my GR r having hips dyplasia...Frown
i would like to know which vet doctor done the operation for ur dog and how much it cost u?
thanks!!
L@VIER

boon
Doggyman

Dec 22, 2003, 9:21 PM

Post #7 of 8 (1266 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

HD is not only common in retrievers, but also other breeds due to irresponsible breeding.

What you can do now is to have him/her on some G&C supplements (Joint Support) to reduce the pain, so you gr can walk.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

ndeetan
Novice

Dec 22, 2003, 10:46 PM

Post #8 of 8 (1265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shawnlim] Problem????Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks alot guys gor the advise and supports.

The doc that did the operation was the Doctor at Taman Megah.

Actually it was along story coz i usually will send my dog to SS18 clinic. But on that day, no one at home so my uncle and auntie has to send her to the clinic nearby at Klang. So the GP sent her to the clinic at Taman Megah. It cost me 900 plus.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my