digging the garden and eating stones

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 20, 2003, 12:15 AM

Post #1 of 66 (6204 views)
Shortcut
digging the garden and eating stones Can't Post

my aunt's dog absolutely loves to dig up the garden every night...yeah the garden looks like patch work coz we have to tanam the grass back every morning!

she has plenty of attention from us all...so i don't reckon it is attention seeking.

and she also has a weird habit of eating pebbles that we decorate the garden pathways. come to think of it...even little stones that comes from the ground that she digs...she also eats!

i've checked her poop....no sign of stones or pebbles. she couldn't have digested them or even chewed them to ground could she? no vomit of any kind around teh garden or house either.

geri (2 years old) is a mix of sorts that we adopted from spca.
and her body is definitely very tough for a dog..she uses her body to bump my senior dog or for that matter anyone else who comes in her way of getting our attention. maybe its tough (solid) coz she eats stones and pebbles?

paulynn
ALPHA

Dec 20, 2003, 8:46 AM

Post #2 of 66 (6193 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] digging the garden and eating stones [In reply to] Can't Post

hi, usually most dogs dig because of their instinct.Every normal dog will do that.There is a way to prevent them from doing so.There's this liquid where u can buy from pets wonderland or pet shops that says " get off my garden" or simply get some serai leaves and scatter around the edge of ur garden.Dogs hate serai smells alot.It'll prevent them from stepping into the garden and making a mess outa it.my younger dog josie eats some of the pebbles and small stones too but i'm training her now by watching her every movement.At the moment she's doing fine. Good liuck on urs,.

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 20, 2003, 6:02 PM

Post #3 of 66 (6188 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulynn] digging the garden and eating stones [In reply to] Can't Post

for whatever strange reasons...geri has taken to serai very well...it started with the satay man dropping his serai stick that they use to bask the satay...she started licking the serai and now when we cook with serai..she sits by the door to whine....and when you throw a serai (clean) to her...she'll chew a little and play with it like a stick...weird...

but i'll check pets wonderland. thanx!

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 22, 2003, 6:47 AM

Post #4 of 66 (6182 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

i read it somewhere that digging is because of(as well as the remedies) :-

1)your dog needs exercise - when you exercise your dog, your dog will dig less because all that energy has already been used up.

2)sex drives - your dog is trying to dig up an escape route due to intense desire to mate. spay or neuter is all you need

3)too hot - your dog is trying to look for a cool place to rest. BlushBlush

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 22, 2003, 8:29 PM

Post #5 of 66 (6177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream] digging the garden and eating stones [In reply to] Can't Post

hi!

maybe the sex drive thingy could be a reason. she seems to be very busy sniffing all male dogs and always stands by the gate (anytime of the year) when there are male dogs walking pass.

as for "too hot"...that happens only at night...so i dont think hot is the issue. she has her bantal and kain busk so no issue of cold either...

but the gardener has offered to pick up the thingy to be sprinkled on the grass (from the petshop) to keep geri off the grass.

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 22, 2003, 8:41 PM

Post #6 of 66 (6175 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

hi hi..sorry i didn't notice your the other issue - stone eating. One of my dog loves chewing on stone. Weird,huh?? He would chew chew chew till he bleeds. So i got him some chew toys and did some whacking whenever he picks up stone. Try it on your dog. Hope it might help.Wink

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 22, 2003, 8:50 PM

Post #7 of 66 (6173 views)
Shortcut

aiyoh...no heart to spank herlah...she is too manja.

she eats chew toys up in hours...don't know how many toys died because of her!

she is still chewing shoes...lesser now since i tied a pair of my shoes that she has bitten round her neck for one whole day. i felt so bad...but that worked on someone's retriever...and partially on geri.

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 22, 2003, 10:33 PM

Post #8 of 66 (6171 views)
Shortcut

aiyoh..at first i also don't have the heart to whack him..but it's all for his own good lor..don't want anything bad happen to him. SmileSmile

tying shoe around the neck works?? must try one day.Smile...

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 23, 2003, 9:02 PM

Post #9 of 66 (6167 views)
Shortcut

but what to whack her with...

with my hand then my hand sakit and my heart will break too.

i don't think newspaper is a good idea since she is supposed to pee and poop on it.

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 23, 2003, 9:36 PM

Post #10 of 66 (6166 views)
Shortcut

i whack with my hand lor..don't hit la so hard till your hand sakit.LaughLaugh..if not, get a rotan or ask someone in the family to deal with her lor ..at least you don't really feel the heartacheLaughLaugh

so how's your garden now??got the product yet??

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 23, 2003, 9:41 PM

Post #11 of 66 (6164 views)
Shortcut

haven't been back to my aunt's place yet.

but apparently she dig out the newly planted plants last night despite whatever the gardener planted.

hmmm....i wonder why crackers never trains geri not to dig the garden. eh...crackers the older dog is known to growl at geri whenever she approaches shoes and slippers with a furiously wagging tail or even when she catches geri hiding between the plants with a slipper...

melissa
ALPHA

Dec 23, 2003, 9:43 PM

Post #12 of 66 (6164 views)
Shortcut

Hey Icezcream

My gigi (ECS) likes to dig the pillow whenever she wants to take a nap or sleeping. I always think that she just want to prepare her bed and make it comfortable to sleep.

Is there any other reasons besides the above Crazy?

Click here to join Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

My three furkids ^_^ Gigi, Cherry & Belle ^_^

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 24, 2003, 2:58 AM

Post #13 of 66 (6159 views)
Shortcut

maybe crackers likes the shoes and slipers as well..don't wanna share with Geri...hehee

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 24, 2003, 3:03 AM

Post #14 of 66 (6158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [melissa] digging the garden and eating stones [In reply to] Can't Post

hi melissa,

My dog, Baby also loves to dig her pillow before resting on it. Like what you said, she's trying to set her bed. Sometimes she would move her pillow to another spot by dragging it. LaughLaugh

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 24, 2003, 11:12 PM

Post #15 of 66 (6151 views)
Shortcut

digging into pillows and cloths seems to be quite a doggie thing. all my dogs (old adults) too did the same.

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 25, 2003, 5:51 PM

Post #16 of 66 (6149 views)
Shortcut

yup, pretty normal for dogs to dig a lil before resting. Wink

paulynn
ALPHA

Dec 26, 2003, 6:09 AM

Post #17 of 66 (6147 views)
Shortcut

hi,

u're welcome.Don thank me as this is a place where everyone seeks advises ffrom one another :) Your dog is really strong and brave eh :) Mine shys away (Good for them haha) when i bring out the get off my garden thing.

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 27, 2003, 12:21 AM

Post #18 of 66 (6142 views)
Shortcut

crackers was a rascal when she was 2 years plus...she ate just about every vinyl and leather thing that you can have around especially if they belong to my brother in law (directly or indirectly his) including company stocks / samples that he brings home!!

i guess she probably remembers her punishments and is probably trying to spare geri those memories.Angelic

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 27, 2003, 12:23 AM

Post #19 of 66 (6141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulynn] digging the garden and eating stones [In reply to] Can't Post

no good with whatever they put on the ground..she still is digging holes (more holes)..maybe she wants us to play golf?

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 27, 2003, 2:40 AM

Post #20 of 66 (6139 views)
Shortcut

still digging??hhahaa...

hmm..how about encouraging geri to dig only one hole???bury her toys in one particular hole then encourage her to dig.repeat the word "Dig" several times while she's digging. after she reach her toys, reward her with treats. hope it helps

paulynn
ALPHA

Dec 27, 2003, 8:43 AM

Post #21 of 66 (6135 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Hope icez's advises helps as i think she's more of an experienced dog owner/handler than i am.Usually what i do is that i'll drag her to the spot where josie digs (thankfully i can still scold her after what she's done as she understands me) and say NO !

jaytan
Canine Addict

Dec 27, 2003, 10:41 PM

Post #22 of 66 (6134 views)
Shortcut

Hi Evie, I am wondering whether it is a lost cause to expect digging dogs to stop digging. I have heard of a Bassett Hound which destroyed a row of beautifully planted trees in the dark of the night. Fortunately, the owner gave up on the trees. My own puppies will chew everything - orchids, wooden platform, wires, steel grills, wall plaster, even my pants. Fortunately, they havent found a way to dig up the cement floor. Best regards,J

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 30, 2003, 11:42 PM

Post #23 of 66 (6124 views)
Shortcut

good idea...i'll try it.

but i've actually asked my aunt to increase her walkies sessions. apparently the digging is less now ( i mean less holes to patch up every morning).

hmmm...maybe she is bored.

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 30, 2003, 11:55 PM

Post #24 of 66 (6122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] digging the garden and eating stones [In reply to] Can't Post

she's a very rojak mongrel...sso i ddon't know how is it breed related..no idea of what went into geri's rojak...

but with more walkies...she's better. not the best...

and i think we have almost given up hope that she'll stop. we takee it as an exercise in the morning to replant the grass or plants that she has uprooted.

may be geri thinks we all need some exercise???Wink

jaytan
Canine Addict

Dec 31, 2003, 12:24 AM

Post #25 of 66 (6118 views)
Shortcut

Hi Evie, I just thought that some breeds may dig more passionately than others. I could be wrong. But the example of the digging BHs was just coincidental.

So now you are becoming a better gardener as well, courtesy of Geri. Anyway, I am glad to hear that you have found a way to reduce the digging energy of your doggy. Best regards,J

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my