Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Tired with Puppy

May
Old Hand

Jan 11, 2002, 10:29 PM

Post #1 of 9 (3699 views)
Shortcut
Tired with Puppy Can't Post

Yesterday was my first night taking care of a 5 months old puppy. I put her cage in our living room. At first, she was ok and she slept in the cage...later in the night when everybody goes to bed, she start whining. My mum scolded her and she keep quiet. Then at 3:45am she started to bark and I have to wake up and take a look at her. I thought she wanted to eliminate so I took her outside but she never do her business. Then I put her back in the cage. When I switched off the light, she started to bark again. I was so tired and I asked myself whether did I make the right decision to own her? When I let her out of her cage, she was so happy but I can't do that at night. I have to wake up every morning at 6:00am to go to work. Please help.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Jan 11, 2002, 10:47 PM

Post #2 of 9 (3694 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Tired with Puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

May, you shouldn't give up so fast. This is all part and parcel of owning a puppy. You actually have to be strong and ignore your puppy...she's just whinig/barking to get your attention....by babying her and taking her out of her cage when she barks, you are telling her that when she wants attention, she will only have to bark....

So, I suggest you ignore her or you can just scold her if the noise is unbearble...if you are consistent and don't baby her, you should see the results soon...let's see if my memory serves me correctly, my pup took about a week to quiet down...the time may vary so you have to be patient..another way you could try to ensure that she doesn't bark is make her so tired, all she wants to do is sleep...you can do this by maybe taking her on a fifteen minute walk outside....

You pup just needs assurance and she's probably worried at night with the lights out and no one around...good luck...Smile

May
Old Hand

Jan 11, 2002, 11:03 PM

Post #3 of 9 (3693 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Tired with Puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your advice, Rainbow. Tonight I thought of putting the cage at the car pouch and let the door open. Maybe it will be better. I'm just afraid her barking and whining will disturb my neighbour since we stayed in terrace house and not a bungalow. In the morning I won't put her in the cage since she's quite ok and won't chew at our belonging but I don't know why she like to lick my feet. Any reason for that? Whenever I go near her, she will lie down and want me to rub her tummy.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Jan 11, 2002, 11:48 PM

Post #4 of 9 (3692 views)
Shortcut

Your welcome May. Just do whatever works for you,be patient and don't give up!!!

hhmm...about licking your feet, I don't know why puppies like to do that..mine does that too...maybe it's the salt or we humans just taste nice!!! LOL..Smile

Puppies are like little children..they just want to snuggle up and feel loved....it's good that you create a bond between puppy and owner..Smile

May
Old Hand

Jan 16, 2002, 6:00 PM

Post #5 of 9 (3678 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Tired with Puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally my puppy has calm down and she can sleep all through the night. Thanks God.

My pup loves to go for a walk but the problem is she don't walk well in leash. Whenever she's pulling the leash, I'll stop walking and ask her to sit. Once she had sat, I will walk again but she will pull the leash again. Anyway to ovr come this problem? I thought of taking her for a walk when she grow older. She's 4 months now. Please advice.

jason
Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2002, 7:16 PM

Post #6 of 9 (3676 views)
Shortcut

What type of collar are you using now? May be you should try choke chain for your 4 months old doggie. The metal chain will choke her if she tries to pull hard and this will slowly train her not to pull. You may also pull the leash when she is trying to run forward to give her a clear message. Good luck!

regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

May
Old Hand

Jan 16, 2002, 7:32 PM

Post #7 of 9 (3675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Tired with Puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm using a nylon collar She's a shih tzu mix about 10 lbs in weigh...a small puppy. Will the choke chain hurts her?

jason
Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2002, 6:00 AM

Post #8 of 9 (3670 views)
Shortcut

You have to measure the diameter of her neck before buying the choke chain. I think it should be ok to use and won't hurt so much. Good luck!Smile

regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Feb 11, 2002, 7:28 PM

Post #9 of 9 (3652 views)
Shortcut

Ahh... the joy of dog ownership!Wink Anyway, glad to hear that you've solved your earlier problem. As for pulling on the leash, most pups do that... As everyone has suggested, get a choke chain. It's useful in the long run. Get her used to the idea of a choke chain (no, it won't hurt the dog if applied correctly). Once she's about 6 months old, I suggest enrolling her in a proper training class (Teach her to heel, sit, stay etc.). You can try teaching her the heel now. That will almost definitely stop her from pulling!

Have fun with her!Smile And DO NOT give up on her... I know puppyhood is a real patience-tester, but it pays off in the end! Sly

-= Tisha =-

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my