Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Hyperactive Pup needs a shrink?

melchicalica
New User

Dec 17, 2003, 2:49 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1334 views)
Shortcut
Hyperactive Pup needs a shrink? Can't Post

Heylo.. I picked up a stray pup about a month ago.. her name's inky. She's lovable and friendly.. but the only (and major) problem is.. she's hyperactively crazy. If she were a child, i'd say she's got some attention deficit disorder. She's needy, she can't stay still for any longer than a minute, and it's so hard to even attempt to train her.

I've read online that overly hyperactive dogs may suffer of this problem called hyperkineses (might be wrong spelling).. has anyone had the same problem? And if you did, did you take your dog to a vet for treatment? Cuz i read that dogs with hyperkineses can be given some sort of medication.

I've considered giving her away so she may get more attention and patience. But I don't want to give up just yet. I'd like to find out if vets in kl do offer this solution to hyperkineses, and if so how much they charge for the medication, or whether just sending her for obedience training will do the trick...?

Thanks for any help in advance!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 18, 2003, 6:54 AM

Post #2 of 3 (1319 views)
Shortcut
Re: [melchicalica] Hyperactive Pup needs a shrink? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Below is a description of "hyperkinesis" ...

If you live with a young adult dog, you may have noticed that he gets somewhat blurry at times. Young dogs can be very active pets; add to this the factor of size and perhaps obedience skills that need polish, and you may find yourself roommates with a canine Tasmanian devil. Some dogs seize every available opportunity to run, jump, bark, pull on their leads, and generally act like they have fleas beneath their bonnets. In a moment of exhaustion, you might naturally wonder whether your dog is normal or whether he suffers from some canine version of attention-deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). ADHD is certainly a frequently diagnosed disorder in children -- but is it as likely to affect dogs?

True hyperactivity, or hyperkinesis, does occur in dogs but is a relatively uncommon condition. Hyperkinetic dogs usually appear abnormal, even frantic, and will not stop their frenetic behaviour until they collapse with exhaustion. Panting and restless, their heart rates run high as they move endlessly. However, because it can be hard to tell the difference between an affected dog and one who is simply unruly -- or, for that matter, a dog with an obsessive-compulsive movement disorder such as tail-chasing -- veterinarians may recommend a test trial with stimulant medication. While normal dogs will show no response or an increase in activity level, biologically hyperkinetic dogs will respond by slowing down. Whether your veterinarian suggests inpatient testing with an amphetamine-like drug or a trial period with methylphenidate (Ritalin®) or other therapeutic drug, such testing can help determine whether your dog would benefit from medication.

The great majority of hyperactive dogs, however, are perfectly normal -- even if they are a little difficult to live with. Unruliness, poorly controlled behaviour, resistance to obedience training, excessive barking and jumping are behaviours that can be managed with persistence and obedience training. If your dog is difficult to control, take advantage of local dog-training clubs, perhaps working individually with a trainer to trouble-shoot any problems that might develop. It is doubly important to take the skills learned in obedience class and apply them to your dog's everyday circumstances -- at home, in the car and at the park. A Schedule active, aerobic exercise into your dog's daily routine; even a brisk game of fetch can do wonders (and, hey, you get to stand still for a change).

Life with a hyperactive dog can be challenging, but rising up to that challenge with consistent training, exercise, play, and plenty of rewards will almost certainly result in a well-behaved pet -- and a physically fit human companion.

Ilana R. Reisner, DVM, PhD, DACVB

As you see - hyperkinesis is relatively uncommon in dogs ... and all you may have is an active young dog ...

You can also check out this webpage:

www.ygrr.org/doginfo/behavior-hyper.html

Cheers ...Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Dec 18, 2003, 7:11 AM)

snoopdog
K9 Kaki

Dec 19, 2003, 1:32 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Re: [melchicalica] Hyperactive Pup needs a shrink? [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHi there,

After the surchinmy's reply, it's quite hard to give you advise. My explanation is very simple. Pups are always hyperactive. I have a 6mth puppy also and he was very hyperactive too. Every chance he gets, he'll jump on us, run here and there, everything lah. To my relief, puppy.com gave me great advise and told me to be patient. So patientlah. My dog still stresses me out but still a joy to have him. Don't give up so soon, ok? Good luck.

Ciao
Angeline + Maximus & Dome(miss u!)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my