Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Shih Tzu...need some tips

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 16, 2003, 10:23 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1219 views)
Shortcut
Shih Tzu...need some tips Can't Post

Am having Shalom home tomorrow night. getting worried that I can't handle a puppy.

I have had only adult dogs in landed property all this while. Now that I am living in an apartment that I reckon isn't dog or cat friendly...i am having the jitters.

Any tips including how much to feed, how to toilet train etc?

I am intending to make her either do her business in the drying area and also during her daily walkies sessions. However the drying area is currently out of the question until we are able to find the flip flap door for her to go in and out on her own (i live by the highway...so kinda dusty).

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 16, 2003, 11:58 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] Shih Tzu...need some tips [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Very difficult to cover all aspects of bringing a puppie home in a posting ... Giving tips is only effective or helpful, if you already appreciate & understand the basic concepts & requirements of caring for a pup ...

Therefore suggest:

(a) For a start - you can do search in the forum for the following topics ... Feeding ... Behaviour ... Training methods generally ... House-training ... Crate-training ... Collar & leash training ...

(b) Alternatively ... go to one of bigger book shops and get yourself a good training manual ...

Anyone serious about providing a good home for a pup, must make effort and time to learn that which is necessary ... All the best ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Dec 17, 2003, 12:01 AM)

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 17, 2003, 10:43 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Shih Tzu...need some tips [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah...have been doing that a lot...much to the amusement of the whole household.

what worries me most is that i may go wrong somewhere some how with disastrous results....well that's to come in like a couple of hours time when i bring shalom home.

THANX!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 17, 2003, 11:04 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] Shih Tzu...need some tips [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Okies ... if you have a good dog training manual - then you are off to a good start ...

Here are some suggestions:

By Gwen Bailey ... This is a basic book on how to raise puppies. Lots of sound advice.
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0600585816/qid=1070525915/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_10/002-8978532-5736065?v=glance&s=books

By W. Cambell ... This one is more detailed ... but very good guide into dog behaviour & psychology.
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1577790189/cm_aya_asin.title/002-8978532-5736065?v=glance&s=books

By Jean Donaldson ... This book will help with understanding of dogs generally.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1888047054/ref=pd_sim_books_1/002-8978532-5736065?v=glance&s=books

Not to worry so much about "disasters" ... puppies are extremely adaptable ... and mistakes are bound to occur ... but with good approach and attitude, no mistake needs be a disaster ...

Just remember that your little dog is ... a baby ... and requires your patience and understanding ...

If you are not sure about any particular aspect of training ... then post your queries ... and I am sure forum members will help wherever they can ...

Cheers ... And ALL THE BEST WITH SHALOM ... Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Dec 17, 2003, 11:08 PM)

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 18, 2003, 9:11 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Shih Tzu...need some tips [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink thanx!

true to being a puppy..she messed the house up last night. pooped and peed everywheere but her papers..

but would have to be patient with herlah...she's such a cuite look and keeps making eye contact..no heart to get angry even when she is caught peeing...sigh...somehow whatever toilet training her mummy's mummy said she has does not seem to be happening.

once again thanx!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my