Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
Only front nails need cutting?

jaytan
Canine Addict

Dec 16, 2003, 4:32 AM

Post #1 of 13 (2316 views)
Shortcut
Only front nails need cutting? Can't Post

Hi, I am Jay and I have 2, 5-month old Beagle puppies. I have noticed that their nails on the back legs are trim and dont need cutting, presumably worn off by the walks. However, the nails on their front legs grow quite long and need cutting every 2 weeks. Is this normal? I walk them in the mornings and evenings about 1-1 1/2 km around the neighbourhood field. They will walk or run on the grass, pedestrian pavement or road-side. Does this happen with your doggies too or does everyone else have evenly growing nails? Best regards,J

nathalie
Doggyman

Dec 16, 2003, 5:12 AM

Post #2 of 13 (2314 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] Only front nails need cutting? [In reply to] Can't Post

Smilehi,

it's normal that the nails on the legs behind are shorter than the ones in front....coz they'll normally worn off when they walk on the tar road.

don't worry so much, just trim the nails in front especially the dew claws...remember not to cut too deep in or else it'll hurt their veins which results in heavy bleeding Smile

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 16, 2003, 10:28 AM

Post #3 of 13 (2309 views)
Shortcut

hi,Smile

Don't worry. It's normal. Like what you said, the back nails are worn off by the walks.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

rebooto
ALPHA

Dec 16, 2003, 8:45 PM

Post #4 of 13 (2302 views)
Shortcut

hi,

My 2 month old Shih Tzu even worst....after about 1 week of cutting the nail...now its long again.....so sharp that sometimes when i play with him...he accidently scratch me...so painful....LaughLaugh

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

jaytan
Canine Addict

Dec 16, 2003, 9:58 PM

Post #5 of 13 (2295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie,RealityDreamer] Only front nails need cutting? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Natalie,RealityDreamer,

Thanks for the assurance. This is the first time I am keeping puppies so I guess I am an anxious parent. It is great to be able to check with other dog lovers who are so friendly. Best regards,J

jaytan
Canine Addict

Dec 16, 2003, 10:09 PM

Post #6 of 13 (2293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rebooto] Only front nails need cutting? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I am always nervous to cut their nails so tend to wait till a bit longer then only cut a bit. I cant get the confidence to cut short without hurting, like the books show. I had hoped that the walking would do my work for me but it looks like I still have to handle those at the front.

A month ago I cut their nails while wearing shorts and ended up with 3 stripes on my thighs, ouch! The scratches were deep enough to bleed and took a week to get well. So now, the cutting nails uniform is jeans or towel wrap. Best regards,J

rebooto
ALPHA

Dec 16, 2003, 11:07 PM

Post #7 of 13 (2288 views)
Shortcut

i guess everyone is kind of nervous since you can't control them well like those professionals.....

wah....i can imagine how pain it is....hmmm u have a beagle,right....

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

jaytan
Canine Addict

Dec 16, 2003, 11:25 PM

Post #8 of 13 (2286 views)
Shortcut

Hi, yeah they hurt and tingled for the next 3 days. But it was my own fault for not being more careful. After all, it is no secret that these 2 Beagle puppies are very active and cant be still. Maybe the nail clipper looked like a chew bone to them, sigh. Best regards,J

rebooto
ALPHA

Dec 16, 2003, 11:32 PM

Post #9 of 13 (2285 views)
Shortcut

hahaha they look very cute and adorable though....

so didn't they cry or excessive barks???

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

jaytan
Canine Addict

Dec 16, 2003, 11:40 PM

Post #10 of 13 (2284 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, they are sweety pies.

I dare not cut very much of their nails lah so they dont have much to complain about. Actually, I have never heard any one of the puppies cry. Sparky, the male tri-color, is cool and hardly barks. Picnic, the female lemon-and-white, is more excitable and will bark for attention besides jump and climb. Sometimes, I suspect she thinks she is a JRT instead, heheheh. Best regards,J

rebooto
ALPHA

Dec 17, 2003, 12:15 AM

Post #11 of 13 (2282 views)
Shortcut

ohh yeah...ur avatar pix is cool...they look very obedient...Wink

wow....never barks.....cool...i wish mine was like this...SlySly

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

nathalie
Doggyman

Dec 18, 2003, 7:42 AM

Post #12 of 13 (2267 views)
Shortcut

Smilehi,

it's ok..we understand how it feels especially u juz got ur pups...i have mine for 4 years d n i have learnt from my mistake..just try not to let them walk on wet earth coz they'll have those wet earth stuck in their nails n it's kind of dirty...walking of tar road often means that u do not need to cut their nails so often Smile

jaytan
Canine Addict

Dec 22, 2003, 9:32 PM

Post #13 of 13 (2257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie] Only front nails need cutting? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Nathalie, thanks for the support. Us first time furkid parents can be a bundle of nerves, heheheh. The field in front of my house has a pedestrian walkway around it. The walkway has those coloured concrete tiles but the doggies like to walk on the grass in the field itself. I try to keep them off the puddles and mud. But they love the dirty and smelly. Any lapse of concentration will result in snacking on other dogs poop, running into puddles or rolling in the mud. Junkfood wrappers and half-eaten packets of nasi lemak littering the field are like magnets to their noses. At first I thought there was no harm since dogs are natural scavengers but after one came up with loose stool, now I discourage them which sometimes result in a contest of wills. Best regards,J

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my