Beagle adult weight?

jaytan
Canine Addict

Dec 15, 2003, 9:55 PM

Post #1 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut
Beagle adult weight? Can't Post

Hi all Beaglers,

I am Jay and I have 2, 5-month old Beagle puppies. Can you please tell me roughly how heavy is your adult Beagle? 20, 25, 30lbs? Or 10kg? I couldn't get any info on the weight from books or the net. So I am turning to Beagler's own experience. My puppies are increasing a full pound each week and I have some problems anticipating the right dosage for their heartworm medication. Thanks for your help. Best regards,J

Veteran
Dog Kichi

Dec 15, 2003, 11:42 PM

Post #2 of 12 (2614 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] Beagle adult weight? [In reply to] Can't Post

Beagles come in many shapes and sizes, although the AKC recognizes the 13" and the 15" beagles. Some beagles are tall and slender, others shorter and quite muscular. Beagles exceeding 15" are naturally going to be be able to handle more weight than a 13" beagle. Rather than relying solely on weight, a good test for obesity is to physically palpate your dog, checking for the rib cage. If you can easily feel your dogs ribs and spot a waistline when viewing your beagle from above, then it probably isn't overweight. If those ribs disappear under folds of fat, and your dog looks a little "round," then it is probably time to talk to your veterinarian. Dogs that appear to be overweight may have hidden medical conditions, so please consult with your vet before beginning any weight-loss program.

Veteran

jaytan
Canine Addict

Dec 16, 2003, 12:47 AM

Post #3 of 12 (2609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] Beagle adult weight? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Veteran, Thanks for the speedy reply. Actually, my babies are quite athletic from doing 2-3 km sniff-walk-run every day. And their cute frowns dont get them any extra food, only tummy rubs. I am just trying to estimate how heavy they can grow to, to buy the right pack of Heartgard which would be used for the next 6 months. They come in, up to 25lbs and 25-50lbs packs. The puppies are about 8kg or 17lbs now but they grow a full pound every week. If they keep up that pace and I dont know if they will, the up to 25lbs stuff would be insufficient in about 2 months. But if their adult weight is less than 25lbs, then their weight increase should taper off and the 25-50lbs package would be an overdose. I still need feedback from Beagle owners on how heavy their dogs grow to. Best regards,J

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2004, 11:09 PM

Post #4 of 12 (2520 views)
Shortcut

Hi jaytan,

I hope my reply's not too late. To your question, I once saw a chart hanging at the Vet's clinic which sets out the ideal weight for different breeds. But it's only a guideline of course. It says that the max. weight for a full grown 16" beagle should be around 25lbs (or thereabouts). Mine, being a female, is at 22lbs. So I would like to believe I'm doing something right with her diet. I feed Bodhi (my beagle) one cup of Purina ProPlan per day, split into 2 feeds. In addition, she gets her daily dosage of Beggin' strips and other in-between-meal-snacks (for training purposes). Here's a picture of her.

Smile!
Attachments: Bodhi-size3.jpg (92.9 KB)

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 17, 2004, 5:22 AM

Post #5 of 12 (2515 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopydog] Beagle adult weight? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, thanks for responding. Looks like you are doing a great job with Bodhi. It is so, so difficult not to fed those cute fellas extra. Her dark markings around the eyes look like eye shadow. My Picnic is getting whiter, like using SKII. Luckily both girls, hahaha. Sparky is now 26 lbs and Picnic 23 lbs, so I have to use the 25-50lbs dosage for Sparky and the up to 25lbs dosage for Picnic. Hope they dont continue to grow from here. Best regards,J

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2004, 4:53 PM

Post #6 of 12 (2511 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jay,

Sparky and Picnic looks very familiar. I've seen two similar beagles being walked around DU area. Would you happen to be the handler? I live in PJ too. As for Bodhi's markings around her eyes, that's the first thing people notice. Some even say she's wearing sunglasses. It wasn't so dark before, but as she grew, it became darker. On the contrary, her body markings had become lighter Crazy!!! I like your lemon and white beagle (Picnic??)...looks so "feminine". Yes, I agree that it's so hard not to give in to their "feed me" looks. What I do is, I give Bodhi apples and yoghurt as treats. That way, she can eat all she wants without putting on much weight. But still, she doesn't seem to get enough, ever! And when she goes for her walks, she looks like a four-legged vacuum cleaner...hardly ever lifts her nose up. I'm trying to look for an enclosed area for her to run around and play, preferable grass. Alternatively I thought about one of those tennis courts in the playgrounds. Beagles are such adorable dogs to have, some people even say they belong to Disneyland! I totally agree.

Smile!

(This post was edited by snoopydog on Feb 17, 2004, 5:10 PM)

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 17, 2004, 7:21 PM

Post #7 of 12 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Hi, yeap that's us in DU - great looking pair of dogs walked by a shabby handler, hahaha. What time do you walk Bodhi? We are around the field around 7.30am and 5.00pm. Maybe one day we can book the 2 tennis courts and have a doggie off-leash runaround. Do you think that will be allowed? No, they never seem to get enough. I like your description 4-legged vacuum cleaner - that's so Beagle. The body markings on my puppies are also getting lighter. Sparky used to have a jet black saddle. Now there is a brown streak from his tail upwards and the back of his neck has also turned brown. Meanwhile, Picnic has more white moving up from her legs. I agree Beagles are so adorable. They seem to be permanent puppies with their playful and friendly temperament. Of course, they also dont grow big which is sweet. We are both biased here lah hahhaha. Best regards,J

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2004, 10:22 PM

Post #8 of 12 (2503 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jay, actually I don't live in DU. I was just passing by after visiting a friend when I saw your lovely beagles and your 'human' kids. I live further down, in Section 17. Are dogs allowed into that field near your house? Of you just walk round it? Do you bring Sparky and Picnic for training at Pdg Merbok? We used to go for basic training. Nowadays, we just drop by to look see and for Bodhi to sniff around. Perhaps we might bump into each other one day. Smile!

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 18, 2004, 7:56 PM

Post #9 of 12 (2495 views)
Shortcut

Hi, there is a board in the field that says no dogs allowed but my dogs are illiterate, hehehehe. Anyway, I clean up after my doggies and friendly with everyone, so the field caretaker, sweepers and security guards dont complain. I haven't taken the doggies to any classes. Maybe Monttessorri down the road. Besst regards, J

Concorn
ALPHA

Mar 13, 2004, 1:03 AM

Post #10 of 12 (2469 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jaytan,

I hope this is not too late... Wink Well, Coco is bout 3kg while she was 1mth+ n gaining weight to 4.55kg in 2mth+. Dr. said it's normal to pup to grow tat fast. Round figure body at the stomach. But still look cute. I wanted my beagle to look healthy n not too fat. I understand tat beagle usually look round n muscular.

I guessed ur beagle mz be round 8 months by now. R they very fat now?? Whether they r fat or slim, jz prey tat they hv a healthy n happy life.

concornSmile

*Coco & Concorn*

** If It's Yours it happen to be Mine, But What Is Mine Is always Be Mine - Coco's Motto**

Coco Leng Lui Album
~ latest update Oct 02

jaytan
Canine Addict

Mar 13, 2004, 1:20 AM

Post #11 of 12 (2468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Concorn] Beagle adult weight? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Concorn, thanks for the info. My 2 rascals are already at adult size, or at least I think so. They were putting on a pound every week like your Coco and then suddenly stopped a month ago. Sparky is 26lbs and Picnic 23. Their shoulder height is around 15 inches. They look positively atheletic and I keep them lean. My guideline is their waist can be seen but not the ribs. Best regards,J

Concorn
ALPHA

Mar 18, 2004, 11:40 PM

Post #12 of 12 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Hehe, that's right. Better b positively atheletic look n shape then big fat slow n clumsy.. Exercises is a must. They r such so active... Nowadays coco seem to interested in her food. She would run around for few times b4 she could finished her food. Notty fella.

concornSmile

*Coco & Concorn*

** If It's Yours it happen to be Mine, But What Is Mine Is always Be Mine - Coco's Motto**

Coco Leng Lui Album
~ latest update Oct 02

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my