ChEsTeR doens't wanna listen to me!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

NeXiEm
Dog Kichi

Dec 13, 2003, 6:43 AM

Post #1 of 97 (3772 views)
Shortcut
ChEsTeR doens't wanna listen to me! Can't Post

Frown I really need some help here. Chester that notti fella doesn't wanna listen to me. How can i make him pay attention to me, when i'm training him?? When is the best age to train him?? He's now 2 and half months old...

-my DoGs And I-
LaSSie, CynDy aNd CheSteR

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 13, 2003, 7:35 AM

Post #2 of 97 (3769 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeXiEm] ChEsTeR doens't wanna listen to me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,Smile

How long has Chester been with you? You could let him get used to the environment first.

Anyway, if he's already used to it,keep the training sessions short and sweet. Say around 10mins.

As for attention,you'll hv to find out what makes him tick. Or what he craves for. Try dog treats. Some dogs have a high prey drive and would love a ball or toy.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

NeXiEm
Dog Kichi

Dec 14, 2003, 6:01 AM

Post #3 of 97 (3759 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] ChEsTeR doens't wanna listen to me! [In reply to] Can't Post

he's been with me since the day he's born, i think he's just plain playful. i tried using doggie treats. it works for a short time only, for only 1 or 2 times to sit down... after that, he he rather play... run around and stuffs... *sIGh*

-my DoGs And I-

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 14, 2003, 10:40 AM

Post #4 of 97 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Then use the playfulness as a motivater.Smile

Instead of using treats,you could use a ball or a tug.

Everytime he sits or does a command right,let him hv the ball or toy.

When using this method, you must increase the value of the toy. Meaning he can only hv it for a certain time/limited time/after doing something. When he loves the ball so much, and there is not enough of the ball,so to speak, he will really work for it the next time he sees it. Another thing is when he plays with it or when you're training,*stop when he wants it the most*. Keep the training short and sweet.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

NeXiEm
Dog Kichi

Dec 15, 2003, 6:12 AM

Post #5 of 97 (3752 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] ChEsTeR doens't wanna listen to me! [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks! should try this one, maybe it can get him to listen to me...

-my DoGs And I-

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 15, 2003, 8:14 AM

Post #6 of 97 (3751 views)
Shortcut

Good Luck!

Do update me on how things go~ Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 15, 2003, 7:04 PM

Post #7 of 97 (3748 views)
Shortcut

Hmmmm...

Wink He's the ripe age for some basic training... ** sounds like doggy boot camp ** LaughLaughLaugh

Anyway, try to find out what his motivation is... food, toys or praise? Tongue The book that I got suggest that I find out my dog's personality to find out how best to train her. My dog has a high Prey Drive, which means that she is quite food-motivated... Laugh Will do anything for kacang putih.. Tongue

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Dec 15, 2003, 7:31 PM

Post #8 of 97 (3747 views)
Shortcut

It would also help if you eliminate all (or most) forms of distraction. For example, try working in an empty room, or practice in a corridor. If you do it in the garden, there'll be birds and insects and passing cars and neighbours who will fight for his attention! Good luck!

-= Tisha =-

rebooto
ALPHA

Dec 15, 2003, 8:34 PM

Post #9 of 97 (3745 views)
Shortcut

hi,

i think chester won't pay attention to you because of some distraction. Guess u have to make the training short and slowly lengthen it....make sure when ur training session start...no one walk around or things that are moving here and there...that wil definately distraction their attention.

Well, training is best start at age of 2 month....'cause by 2 months pup's brain is fully-grown and this is the time where they are hunger to learn and to please you. Basically, teaching pup at the age of 2 month till 6 month...they will learn it at a fast pace.

yeah, like they said..treats, toys, + praise is very powerful when they do the things u wanted (in terms of saying it out "good dog" + patting).....Also training using hand signal also helps....

Hope this helps...WinkWink Do keep us inform on ur progress....

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

NeXiEm
Dog Kichi

Dec 16, 2003, 5:17 AM

Post #10 of 97 (3735 views)
Shortcut

What i did today was praising him after he did what i wanted him to do, like sit. It works for few times, and slowly he's getting too lazy to even sit in a proper manner!Crazy Then, he lie down and wanna a tummy rub!!!Unsure I read in some webpage that it's not good to play tug with your dog, cause it will make the dog bite hard... he likes tug, but i have no idea is it good to reward him to play tug because he doens't seems to be interested in ball.

-my DoGs And I-

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 16, 2003, 9:41 AM

Post #11 of 97 (3730 views)
Shortcut

hi, :)

Looks like I see some progress. Anyway, I think he has a short attention span,so the minute he gets lazy..means he's bored with it and it's time to stop.

Well,the web page is quite right. It does help the dog bite but only to a certain extent.

Well,the best thing is to reward him with what he's interested in.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 16, 2003, 7:38 PM

Post #12 of 97 (3725 views)
Shortcut

Hi there...

Playing tug is not a good idea as it might make the pup a little aggressive. Unimpressed I stopped playing tug with Snoopy since I found out that she's very Prey Driven and so, tend to growl a lot when we play tug.

A good command to teach is "Give" when you want the toy back. Have a treat in your hand, with your other hand on the toy and say "Give". Release the treat only when he has released the toy completely (without lunging at you).. Tongue

This is hard to teach.... Crazy Snoopy hasn't quite mastered this yet...

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Dec 16, 2003, 8:04 PM

Post #13 of 97 (3724 views)
Shortcut

Just a reminder when playing tug with your dog.... DON'T let him win the game of tug! In other words, never let go of the tug toy or else your dog will think he is superior. That's when you begin having trouble...

-= Tisha =-

porcelain
Novice

Dec 17, 2003, 7:19 PM

Post #14 of 97 (3718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] ChEsTeR doens't wanna listen to me! [In reply to] Can't Post

i went through the whole supermarket before finding out what buddha (my pup) likes. it takes a bit of time, but the right treat will do a great deal. i got mine butter cookies (no chocolate...it is bad for dogs). i got mine to play tug when he was 4 months. he does both tug a rope and bouncy ball. i gave particular names to it, so that he will go get it himself instead of me getting off the couch.

you got to have his favorite treat...ones that he would fly to the moon and back for. then he's gotta recognize the container of his favorite treat. so, he'll run to you automatically when he sees you holding it. that'll get his attention.

before you play...give your pup some warming up with basic commands like stay and stop, let him know that you are not bloody kidding. it's either that....or nothing at all, no playing, no treats, no walk...nothing. it's a long process...but they will get use to you. it will hurt, with their puppy eyes and their head cocked to one side..but be stern...don't let the cuteness overpower you.

when the pup has the ball in his jaw and he/she refuses to let it go, just ignore him. he/she'll try to bring to your face, but keep on repeating...let go/give. but before that he/she has to understand what give/let go means. what i did was to place a cookie on the floor, pointed at it..looked at buddha straight in the eyes and told him to let it go. it took me a week. but all is good...he places his toys on my lap now...i don't even have to ask or give him cookies.Smile

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 17, 2003, 8:09 PM

Post #15 of 97 (3715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [porcelain] ChEsTeR doens't wanna listen to me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hahaa...

I understand what you mean about treats.... LaughLaughLaugh My pup Snoopy will die any time for kacang putih.... LaughLaughLaugh

Yup... When I started training Oofy, I made sure she got the commands sit, and stay right before we started playing... Tongue Whenever she retrieves something, I would always ask her to sit and then give me the ball/toy. Tongue She was a less aggressive dog and so, wouldn't tug or play dominance games with me.

However, when Snoopy came along, I found out that she could be a little dominant and aggressive. After a few session of teaching her that I'm the boss. She gets the idea that when I ask her to sit and stay, it means no messing around! Smile

Like you said, if the dog doesn't release/give the ball, I just ignore Snoopy and she usually gets the idea and releases it. I had my fingers nipped a few times when I started training her give... Tongue Anyway, I still need to train her to bring her toy on command... Sly

She's still 3 mths and have a long way to go... CrazyCrazy but she's making good progress... SlySly

Join the JRT Zone

NeXiEm
Dog Kichi

Dec 18, 2003, 5:08 AM

Post #16 of 97 (3711 views)
Shortcut

Chester does make the kind of fierce noises when he play tug - "gRrRrR" since he's so playful i thought i try rewarding him tug instead, everytime he let go of the toy, he alwiz tries to jump up and get it. Crazy And worst is, he aims for the wrong thing, and bite my hand!Pirate
It's a bit frusfrating sometimes. When i hear stories on how you guys train your furry friend, i feel really "jealous", because yours seems to listen to you more. I can't really get him to pay attention. Or maybe he's just plain stuborn!!Frown

-my DoGs And I-

porcelain
Novice

Dec 19, 2003, 5:19 AM

Post #17 of 97 (3702 views)
Shortcut

do u guys play the staring game. like stare until one gives up or blinks first? hehe. when he loses/gives up, he'll just give me that innocent puppy look and climbs on my lap.

give snoopy a hug from boo and i. i can't believe it, of all nuts...kacang putih. pets.....aren't they picky...tsk tsk.

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 19, 2003, 11:43 PM

Post #18 of 97 (3696 views)
Shortcut

Hahaha..... Yea... Its heaps of fun... Laugh

Hehe... Yea.. .My dog loves kacang putih but she can't digest it properly and so, it comes out whole in her poop... LaughLaugh Mom calls her an "Indian" dog.. (no offence intended)... Sly

Join the JRT Zone

NeXiEm
Dog Kichi

Dec 22, 2003, 5:02 AM

Post #19 of 97 (3694 views)
Shortcut

how can i get him to sit and stay? he sit but doesn't stay for a long time... and sometimes, he do things according to his moods, if he's happy, he'll listen to you, but if he's moody, he won't listen. and can i make him learn to do "shake hands"?

-my DoGs And I-

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 22, 2003, 11:28 PM

Post #20 of 97 (3693 views)
Shortcut

Smile

Sounds like some of the training challenges that Snoopy and myself are going through. Tongue

Ok... To train sit and stay, I'm trying to train that using a leash. Wink First of all, do you use a more authoritarive tone with Chester when you give him commands? I noticed that when I do that, Snoopy will listen to me, no matter what because I mean business!

Hmmm... "Shake hands" is quite easy to teach but would require that your pup is settled still in the sit position. To do that, slide your hand under his elbow and hold it while saying "Shake hands" or "hand". If he doesn't bite or frisk, give him the treat. Tongue I've taught Snoopy this but her instinctive reaction is to bite me. So..... I'm having problems with this now...

Anyway, good luck and let us know if Chester has improved or not... Tongue

Join the JRT Zone

NeXiEm
Dog Kichi

Dec 23, 2003, 3:47 AM

Post #21 of 97 (3688 views)
Shortcut

I do use a very fierce tone, but, he thinks i'm fooling around. He stills bite my hands when i try to make him shakes his hands. Both my hands has bruises, because of him...Frown Thanks for your advise, i'll try my best...

-my DoGs And I-

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 23, 2003, 8:22 PM

Post #22 of 97 (3685 views)
Shortcut

Hmmmm....

I don't really want to advocate caning but I've introduced the newspaper to scare my pup. Don't really hit her hard tho' but I need to discipline her... Frown

Anyway, you're not the only one... My hands are all bruised up because of Snoopy's nipping habit too.. Unsure *sigh*... Will have to search for websites on how to handle this "toddler".. Wink

Join the JRT Zone

NeXiEm
Dog Kichi

Dec 24, 2003, 2:37 AM

Post #23 of 97 (3683 views)
Shortcut

i do use newspaper roll up, but i dun usually hit him, i hit the newspaper on the floor to make a loud noise just to make him scare... he looks too innocent for me to hit him.... Tongue
but i'm afraid, he'll become paranoid...

-my DoGs And I-

Kowpa

Dec 24, 2003, 5:31 AM

Post #24 of 97 (3681 views)
Shortcut

Dogs are not born to be scare by us. They are born to be nurture and guide to the right path by we human and please be humane. Study them and learn to prevent from unwanted behaviour. They don't understand english ,chinese .malay, indian and how can they wanna listen to you. They only understand voices and tonation and body languages that's how they communicate. Learn how to communicate with your dog rather than punishing him for not listening to you for you are not listening to them lol

NeXiEm
Dog Kichi

Dec 24, 2003, 5:41 AM

Post #25 of 97 (3680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] ChEsTeR doens't wanna listen to me! [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm trying my best to communicate with him... BTW, i love my dogs alot...

-my DoGs And I-

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my