Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Puppy Crate

May
Old Hand

Jan 10, 2002, 8:01 PM

Post #1 of 15 (3623 views)
Shortcut
Puppy Crate Can't Post

I just got my new puppy and I bought a crate for her. My puppy is 4 months old and she's a shih tzu mix. The crate..or I would rather call it a cage, is about 2.5' (L) x 2' (W) x 2.5' (H) with a "wiring" flooring (not flat flooring). Will it be too big for my pup? Is the flooring ok for my pup's legs? My pup looks exactly like shih tzu but a little bit bigger in size. Pls advice.

jason
Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2002, 8:19 PM

Post #2 of 15 (3618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Puppy Crate [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi May,

Welcome to the forum!Smile

The crate that you bought is actually depending on the puppy size and the purpose of crate training that you like to impose. You should get the crate that is comfortable to your puppy to turn around her body or for some movement. As for crate training, you may don't want her to do her business inside her crate. If this is the case, then you have to get a crate that just suit her size and this will help in preventing her to shee shee or pee pee inside (the nature of dogs - don't like to dirty their place/den).

For the wiring floor, actually, I am not recommend the use of it based on my experience. It may cause your puppy paw to stuck in between and it will be quite painful. By the way, I am not sure whether it will cause the unhealthy development of the paw? For my case, some infection has occurred to my puppy paw, may be due to cleaniness of the wiring. So, anyone got any ideas about it? thanks.

regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Jan 10, 2002, 8:20 PM

Post #3 of 15 (3618 views)
Shortcut

May, you should worry if the cage is too small rather then too big..unless you don't have enough space in the house..as for the flooring you can line it with an old bed sheet or you can get kind of like a doggie mattress for the cage floor..

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Rainbow -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Jan 10, 2002, 8:29 PM

Post #4 of 15 (3615 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Puppy Crate [In reply to] Can't Post

Example of Crate bedding

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Rainbow -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

May
Old Hand

Jan 10, 2002, 8:36 PM

Post #5 of 15 (3611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Puppy Crate [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Rainbow

Thanks for your advice. I think I'll get a crate pad for my pup. Actually my biggest concerned is I'm afraid she will shee shee and poo poo in the crate. Hopefully she won't do that with the pad on....

jason
Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2002, 7:16 PM

Post #6 of 15 (3596 views)
Shortcut

Hello all,

I just wonder are there any crate pad that is strong enough to hold my litter boxer chew or bite? Smile ... I tried to put in a rubber pad, but my boxer was so destructive and finally destroyed it Frown. Any suggestions? thanks.

regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Jan 13, 2002, 3:07 AM

Post #7 of 15 (3592 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Puppy Crate [In reply to] Can't Post

Jason...if you've tried everything, the next step would probably to spray some kind of solution onto the rubber pad/cloth something the dog won't like...can't find it on the internet now to give you an example but maybe you can go check out the pet store...I only know of a product called bitter apple..you spray onto your furniture and stuff so that it taste yucky and the puppy won't chew.

finnstar
Novice

Jan 23, 2002, 5:53 AM

Post #8 of 15 (3573 views)
Shortcut
how to get ur puppy not to do his business at a specific spot [In reply to] Can't Post

i was just about to suggest a spray..
its called 'Get Off My Garden' and its a spray which will confuse a dogs sense of smell and he wont do his business at tht spot where you spray it..
go to a pet store in ss2, sea park , there's one pet shop there.. they will have the perfect solution for you...

hope it helps..

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jan 28, 2002, 5:10 AM

Post #9 of 15 (3565 views)
Shortcut

If your pup is taken out often enough to relieve herself, she won't do it in her crate. Generally, dogs don't like their sleeping area to be dirty and will avoid "doing their business" in the crate unless they cannot "tahan" anymore! How long do you intend to put her in the crate? Usually, pups should be let out in the morning before breakfast, then again after breakfast. By mid-afternoon (about 12+), they might need another walk. Then again before and after dinner time. Limit your pup's water intake by 6/7pm and stop feeding/watering (is there such a word?? lol) by 9pm. Take her for the last walk before bedtime.

After all that, I seriously doubt she'll even consider doing her business in her crate anymore! It's great for house-breaking too!

-= Tisha =-

May
Old Hand

Jan 28, 2002, 5:26 PM

Post #10 of 15 (3560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Puppy Crate [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually I plan to put my pup in the crate 4 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon (she's about 5 months). The problem is she doesn't like to be crated in the morning. When I put her in the crate, she will bark, whine and jump in the crate to get out Unsure. So now, I'll let her out in the day and she will sleep under the sofa whenever she's tired (that's her favourite place I guess). At night she will keep quite in the crate provided she didn't see anybody around and all the lights are out. How can I make her like her crate? I have try may ways i.e. putting treat, toys in the crate but she will jump in and jump out of the crate Unsure.

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jan 29, 2002, 3:00 AM

Post #11 of 15 (3553 views)
Shortcut

Hmm.. seems like she's "trained" you to let her out on command! lol. Next time, when she barks and whines, ignore her completely. Leave her alone until she's quiet and behaving properly, then praise her and let her out of the crate. If you keep on letting her out just because she's throwing a tantrum, she'll learn that by throwing tantrums, she'll be rewarded by being let out of the crate. So... moral of the story is? Keep her in until she's nice and quiet, then reward her.

This'll take a LOT of patience, and there'll be times where you feel so bad for letting her cry, but it's the best way she'll learn! Dogs are sociable creatures, and would rather not be left alone, but since we're all busy people, there are times where the pup has to be left alone. Better to get her used to it now than when she's older. Once she's in her teenage years, she might react badly to being left alone and end up destroying your things (chewing slippers, digging, chewing carpet, etc).

As for making the cage more appealing to your manja kid, try putting in soft bedding for her to lie down in, and make sure it's clean all the time. Don't put in too many toys or she'll get bored of all of them easily. Unless you are rich enough to buy a different toy for her every few weeks, then you should just leave her in her crate with ONE toy to occupy her. Every few days or so, give her a different toy so that she won't get bored.

Hope I helped! My GSD seemed to hate her crate too, but sometimes I'd see her sneak off to sleep in it, so I guess she did like it after all!

-= Tisha =-

May
Old Hand

Jan 29, 2002, 5:12 PM

Post #12 of 15 (3544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Puppy Crate [In reply to] Can't Post

Whenever my pup whine and bark in the crate I'll not let her out cos I know I got to train her to like the crate but my mum will always do that. That's why the pup is very manja with my mum. Just like grandmother manja their grandchildren. Sometimes I cane her too because she like to jump up when we sit at the sofa. All these is because my mum let her to that to her. She even let her bite her fingers which develop her bad behaviour....bite people fingers and feet. I try many times to stop my mum from doing that but she said is ok......oh what can I do????? Unsure

Derrickok
Novice

Jan 29, 2002, 5:47 PM

Post #13 of 15 (3541 views)
Shortcut

When U were a child, U like to do things that fell within your age group. For example, you enjoyed riding piggy back on your daddy's shoulders, you enjoyed playing one two zoom with your neighbours and friends next door. If I said to you to turn back the clock and do things that you did while you were a child, I dare say that you will not.
Puppies IMHO should not BE TRAINED until it is 6months old. I am speaking with authority and experience, because I am keeping 8 Dalmatians, age wise, they are ranging from 11 years to 16 months old. None will fight or bully each other. I can open the door of the enclosure they will not charge out all at the same time but go through the door orderly by name, depending which one I wanted out first. They will also go back into the enclosure as their names are being called.
If you read in between the line of this message, I am actually discouraging PUPPY owner not to train and over react on their puppies. Let them do what they want, except house training, which I have written an article for Rainbow- Yeh by the way, where are you?- why so quiet all of a sudden?
Regards.

May
Old Hand

Jan 29, 2002, 6:20 PM

Post #14 of 15 (3537 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Puppy Crate [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks you Uncle Derrick for your valuable advice Smile. I guess I have to bear with it and train her when she's older.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Jan 30, 2002, 6:31 AM

Post #15 of 15 (3530 views)
Shortcut

May, I agree with Derrick. You shouldn't over react..although some of us are known too. Tongue

Don't know if this will help but my friend's dog is quite smart....if my friend's mum is around the house, he knows there are some rooms he is not allowed in and he will stay out but when the mum is not in, he follows her everywhere..

what I'm trying to say is that dogs are quite smart and this dog knew how to behave with the appropriate people...

Don't cane her when she jump on the sofa...just carry her down and put her on the floor and say no...and when you sitting on the sofa, before she jumps out just growl and her and say no or ah ah...she should get the idea...

Hope this helps...most importantly, be patient..Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my