Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog Sports, Schutzhund, Protection, Tracking,.....: Schutzhund & Protection Dogs:
Recommended Reads

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 12, 2003, 8:13 PM

Post #1 of 31 (4159 views)
Shortcut
Recommended Reads Can't Post

Hello,Smile

Can anyone recommend some good books to read? Been searching around Amazon. Came across some which look good but I'm not sure if they are.

I want to learn more abt the concept and training of a Schuutzhund and PP Dog.

Help is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. At the moment I'm reading Manstopper which is a fantastic book
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 12, 2003, 11:58 PM

Post #2 of 31 (4155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Recommended Reads [In reply to] Can't Post

RD,

I assume that you are looking for books which teach you how to do the training as well as define the concepts of such training. The diff is that some books are plain interesting to read by does not teach u how to do it while the other are so technical that it becomes boring if you had not grasp the right concepts. Some of my personal favourites which are both easy to understand and apply are as below covering both Obedience and Protection. I'm of the opinion that no protection should be tought without OB and these 2 have to come hand in hand to enable control on the dog.

1) Protection dogs for you and your family by Edward Weiss n Tom Rose

2) Der Schutzhund by Helmut Reiser......he is the father of modern Schutzhund methods

3) Purely Positive Training Companion to Competition by Shiela Booth (This works well for purely OB enthusiast as well to have an extreemely happy dog in trials)

4) Schutzhund Obedience Training in Drive with Gottfreid Dildei by Shiela Booth (This is a so a very easy to understand and great method book.

With these books alone you will be able to grasp the concept behind the training. Then perhaps you may want to also know how to do tracking and its concepts. But that will be for later once u have mastered the above books.

Some of the books you cannot get from Amazon.com unfortunately. Try Dogwise.com. They are definately there.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

boon
Doggyman

Dec 13, 2003, 12:47 AM

Post #3 of 31 (4151 views)
Shortcut

Hi RD,

If u want to know a bit more about the origin and the history of GSD, this is the book for u.

German Shepherd Dog in Word & Picture by V. Stephanitz
Hoflin Pub Ltd; Reproduction edition (January 1994)

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

Polluxx
Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2003, 4:49 AM

Post #4 of 31 (4145 views)
Shortcut

Hi RD,

If U wanna know more abt ScH training method, for starter,
"Schutzhund Obedience Training in Drive With Gottfri Dildei" By Sheila Booth
- recommended by PSD is a definite good read for beginners.

the other book that I highly recommend for follow-up training would be
"SCHUTZHUND THEORY & TRAINING METHODS"
-by Susan Barwig & Stewart Hilliard

Anyway, IMO it will be a good idea to polished up the obedience b4 moving on to the protection stuff ..! ! Wink

"Show me your dog and I'll tell you what manner of man you are."
(GSD Founder - Capt Max V Stephanitz)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 14, 2003, 10:20 PM

Post #5 of 31 (4130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Recommended Reads [In reply to] Can't Post

hello all,

Thanks for the recommendations.

Was wondering which way you got your books? Did you order directly from dogwise.com or amazon.com? or ordered through MPH? or any other way?

Thanks once again.Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

boon
Doggyman

Dec 15, 2003, 6:33 PM

Post #6 of 31 (4125 views)
Shortcut

there will be another shipment coming sometime CNy. Interested ?

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Dec 16, 2003, 4:10 AM

Post #7 of 31 (4116 views)
Shortcut

Amazon.com is pretty reliable. I'd compare prices if I were you. Some bookstores may charge a little extra for their service.

-= Tisha =-

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 16, 2003, 9:11 AM

Post #8 of 31 (4112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Recommended Reads [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,Smile

Shipment? of which books?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 16, 2003, 9:12 AM

Post #9 of 31 (4111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Recommended Reads [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the tip. Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

boon
Doggyman

Dec 16, 2003, 4:37 PM

Post #10 of 31 (4107 views)
Shortcut

a few title lah, u can order ur book and i will provide u the address and my friend will help to bring back.

mackmack
Doggyman

Dec 16, 2003, 5:25 PM

Post #11 of 31 (4106 views)
Shortcut

ur friend???

then pls order the training book for me~Wink

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 17, 2003, 10:54 PM

Post #12 of 31 (4094 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Polluxx] Recommended Reads [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyway, IMO it will be a good idea to polished up the obedience b4 moving on to the protection stuff ..! ! Wink

Actually the mat salleh's dont do OB at all until after protection work at the age of 13-15 months. But not many dogs will qualify in such training and they wouldnt turn out as nice in the performance. Personally I would like to do both OB and drive promotion work hand in hand with basic bite work. I dont like to waste time and start them as soon as they can see and run like 12 weeks. Only tht the OB are all motivational and using food drive and prey drive.....no correction until the dog graduate the bite work.

Formal OB only starts when the dog can already bite. This way the drive and attitude will be better in your finished result.

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 17, 2003, 10:56 PM

Post #13 of 31 (4093 views)
Shortcut

Yes Boon, This book is a must for all GSD owners. Nice to read and will help to understand the breed better.

PSD

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 17, 2003, 11:00 PM

Post #14 of 31 (4093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Recommended Reads [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazon.com is pretty reliable. I'd compare prices if I were you. Some bookstores may charge a little extra for their service.

Tisha, you are definately right. I find that Amazon usually have cheaper book while dogwise are4 a bit more pricey. But the catch most of the times is some titles cannot get from amazon so have not much choice then Frown

Boon's idea is good, if can buy and send to someone in US then the mail and handling cost will be cheaper. Only thing is it is a bit later for you to get the books. So have to decide if you want it faster or slower all at the diff of price.

PSD

boon
Doggyman

Dec 17, 2003, 11:05 PM

Post #15 of 31 (4092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Recommended Reads [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Boon's idea is good, if can buy and send to someone in US then the mail and handling cost will be cheaper. Only thing is it is a bit later for you to get the books. So have to decide if you want it faster or slower all at the diff of price.

hahahha can smell something here.............

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 18, 2003, 12:18 AM

Post #16 of 31 (4089 views)
Shortcut

sniff....snifff....pick no trail......Tongue???????

PSD

boon
Doggyman

Dec 18, 2003, 12:22 AM

Post #17 of 31 (4088 views)
Shortcut

lab sniff better than a gsd....muakkakakkaka

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 18, 2003, 12:26 AM

Post #18 of 31 (4087 views)
Shortcut

yea yea.....you and your doggyman......or was tht doggieman??? Tongue

PSD

boon
Doggyman

Dec 18, 2003, 1:02 AM

Post #19 of 31 (4084 views)
Shortcut

is doggyman.

Polluxx
Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2003, 6:50 AM

Post #20 of 31 (4080 views)
Shortcut

Yo PSD,

Yes...! I have read somewhere that back in the early years, the German used to discourage OB until the the dog r at least one yr old. .....U know la.... the legendary Koehler method type of training....! { mmmh......that was the time of super hard dogs....!}

But from what I gathered, wt the intro of motivational (positive) training in the last 20-30 yrs....simple OB exercise like sit,stay,platz r actually encouraged in the early yr using the dog's prey / food drv , this of course is done without using correction except for mild rebuke like a using tone of voice eg. 'pfuee'...! ! Oso early OB training (motivational) can help bonding mah ! Cool

Anyway...I thk ur idea of doing both OB & bitework using drv promotion is a good idea, by allowing him the bitework at the end as a reward.... maybe this way he will really speed up the OB performance so he can get to do the bitework sooner....he he he Wink !

Polluxx
Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2003, 7:04 AM

Post #21 of 31 (4078 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD,boon] Recommended Reads [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys,

Hey......there is another way to get some cheaper books.....can try online 2nd-hand books dealers such amazon marketplace,alibris,abebooks....etc ! normally 2nd hand books r at least 50% much more cheaper....and frm my experience most of the time the book is still in very good condition !! Still , if possible it is better to get 3-4 books at the same time to save on the shipping cost.....makes more economical sense....Wink !!

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 18, 2003, 9:50 AM

Post #22 of 31 (4073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Recommended Reads [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Checked the shipping rates and all they showed was :

Books: $ 9.79

Is that the shipping rate for per book? or per shipment?Crazy
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

boon
Doggyman

Dec 18, 2003, 4:16 PM

Post #23 of 31 (4072 views)
Shortcut

depend on the weight and location

mackmack
Doggyman

Dec 18, 2003, 5:40 PM

Post #24 of 31 (4069 views)
Shortcut

Most of the time, per Book. Smile

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 18, 2003, 7:07 PM

Post #25 of 31 (4067 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Recommended Reads [In reply to] Can't Post

ah...ok. ThanksSmile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my