Retriever Lover

ivancho
New User

Nov 6, 2002, 9:56 PM

Post #1 of 12 (990 views)
Shortcut
Retriever Lover Can't Post

Hello All,

My name is Ivan. I'm new to this forum and has never owned a dog before. However i do have a special interest in Retrievers (both Labrador R and Golden R). I think their bout the best dogs anyone could ever have. Retriever's excitement when they see you are bout the best feeling anyone can ever have (that's my personal opinion of there is anyone out there who thinks otherwise Tongue)

I've been spending some time with my gf's Rottweiler (young pup 2 months old) and it too is quite an interesting dog. Though i would think twice when it reaches a year old. Nonetheless i would also appreciate if some would like to share comments on some basic training for this young pup especially instilling some basic obedience in an early age.

I'd like to own a retriever one day and it will be named Lester!! However, there are parents to convinced till then (they are just terribly terrified with dogs for reasons i know not why). Anyone with similar experience like i do is welcome to share some ideas with me. I'd love to brainwash my parents.

I'm 22 and live in Taman Sea, Petaling Jaya. I would love to meet up with Retriever owners if there is anyone out there who would love to share their joys with a stranger Unsure.

cdmoo
ALPHA

Nov 6, 2002, 10:23 PM

Post #2 of 12 (985 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ivancho] Retriever Lover [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Ivan,

Welcome to the forum!

Yes. I've got one retriever. His name is Rex (male), 10 months old. There are some retriever 'kaki' in this forum. I'm sure they will say 'Hello' to you..

U bet! this breed / retriever is a fast learner, genetically borned with a retrieve instinct. It only took me less than 15 mins to train him ( 3 - 4 months old then) to do fetch/retrieve.

Anyway, have fun in the forum!

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

Khoobg
Webmaster

Nov 6, 2002, 11:50 PM

Post #3 of 12 (978 views)
Shortcut

Warn welcome to you Ivan. Take time to browse the forum and hope that you will find the contents useful to you.

Cheers

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

bingo
Novice

Nov 7, 2002, 12:10 AM

Post #4 of 12 (973 views)
Shortcut

hi ivan, nice to hear that u r going to keep a retriever, by the way i used to have a GR but due to my house compound area my parentskeep her with them now n i strongly agreed with CDMoo that R is really a very fast leaner, may be they r born with their nature retrieve character, i dun even spends long time to train her retrive, n once i throw something, str8 away she will bring back for me, that is makes me feel so amazing ! Now she is 8 months old!anway right now i m only having my schnauzer with me n chow chow !!! hope to hear frm u n we can share our joy n laughter !!!

Have a nice day pal!

boon
Doggyman

Nov 7, 2002, 3:48 AM

Post #5 of 12 (965 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ivan,

Welcome to the forum, i have a labrador retriever with me, she is Bonney, my notti angel, she is so hyper yet adorable. She is going to 6 months now. I'm from Penang, hope that we have chance to meet up in one of the coming puppycom gathering. But the date and venue is not fix yet. So keep ur eye on this. Till then see u.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 7, 2002, 5:29 AM

Post #6 of 12 (962 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ivancho, welcome! Nice to meet you.

Wow you play with your gf's rottie? I'm a bit scared of rotties myself after all the bad press they received a few yrs back on them turning on their owners. But then again I met one recently in the UK who is soooo docile, like a pussycat.

Your retriever will be called Lester? Our cocker puppy is called Chester!

We also want a retriever at some point and we will call him Brinkley!!

wkser
ALPHA

Nov 7, 2002, 5:15 PM

Post #7 of 12 (950 views)
Shortcut

hi ivan,

welcome to the forum......i can share my humble experience with you .........anyway i stay in PJ also....i own a yellow labrador he is 8 month now.......and he is hyper active doggie......SmileWink

regards
kangser and nous

(This post was edited by wkser on Nov 7, 2002, 5:22 PM)

ivancho
New User

Nov 7, 2002, 9:39 PM

Post #8 of 12 (936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Retriever Lover [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps you can teach me a trick or two as to how to teach your dog to play fetch. I've been trying to teach this young Rottweiler (by the way his name is Storm) to play fetch but to no prevail. It seems to be very engross in its own world.

I've gone through some forums but i don't recall much being said about teaching your dog to play fetch. I'm quite certain that a Rottweiler too is an intelligent dog.

Hope to hear from you!!

ivancho
New User

Nov 7, 2002, 9:49 PM

Post #9 of 12 (933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Retriever Lover [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Lucky,

Yes i play with my gf's Rottie (by the way his name is Storm). Its just a 2 months pup and is not very harmful at the moment, but it does show some real signs of aggression at some point.

Yesterday i was introduced to Tiger (an older "rottie") by gf's dad. Its an enormous dog. Was really terrified at first, but eventually it turns out to be quite an experience. It was a very eventfull evening!!

Here's something interesting to share. The young pup (Storm) is just like any other ordinary young child at home. The most pampered and the king of the other siblings. It was a moment of sheer laughter when i saw young Storm chasing after the much larger Tiger (Tiger being terrified of Storm). Apparently it turns out that Tiger was scolded for terrifying Storm a few days ago and eversince, it just distance itself from Storm. Sly

Young Storm sure has loads to learn!!

ivancho
New User

Nov 7, 2002, 9:54 PM

Post #10 of 12 (931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser] Retriever Lover [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes!! I'd love to share your experiences!! Most importantly which experience are you specifically reffering to?? The Brainwashing part?? If so ... i'd love to meet up with you immediately!!!

Perhaps we can meet up someday and i can play with your young Labrador!!

BTW wat's the name of your young Labrador?

cdmoo
ALPHA

Nov 7, 2002, 10:48 PM

Post #11 of 12 (924 views)
Shortcut

hi Ivan,

I'm not good @ teaching Crazy.. Anyway, this is my way of teaching Rex how to 'fetch/retrieve':
  1. First of all, I have to assume Storm understands 'Come / Come-here' command.
  2. Goto to an empty room ( or where most of the things are being cleared up). This is prevent any distractions.
  3. Get ready some treats in your palm.
  4. Throw his favorite toy ( just a ball with a ring ), like 5 feet away.
  5. Probably the pup will go for the toy that u just throw. The moment he picks it up, then you issue a 'high-pitch' - 'Come' command, with your open arm.
  6. Hopefully, with that, the pup will come to you.. then u may as well say 'Drop it' and give him the treats. ( Most likely , U need to let him sniff ur palm before he decides to drop the toy! While he's about to drop it, say 'Drop it'. U need some good timing here..Wink )
  7. Of course, remember to praise a lot!
  8. Repeat (3) - (7) Smile

Have fun!

Now, I dunno about Rotti, but I feel training a labby to fetch is easier than other 'non-retriever'

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

wkser
ALPHA

Nov 7, 2002, 11:55 PM

Post #12 of 12 (914 views)
Shortcut

hi,
sure no problem...but brainwash what??????...hehehehe....anyway my doggie name is nous.....

regards
kangser and nous

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my