Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
when should i start to bath my puppy?

shanann
Novice

Jan 10, 2002, 7:13 PM

Post #1 of 21 (10540 views)
Shortcut
when should i start to bath my puppy? Can't Post

hey guys! do you know when should i start to bath my puppy? she is 7 weeks old now. can i bath her now or have to wait until 8 weeks?Smile

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Jan 10, 2002, 7:16 PM

Post #2 of 21 (10537 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shanann] when should i start to bath my puppy? [In reply to] Can't Post

you don't have to bath her as such..just get her used to having water on
her body...and teach her to stand still when you bathing her...so when she gets
older, she won't fight with you when you bath her...if you want to bath her,
make sure the shampoo is mild..

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Jan 23, 2002, 9:12 PM)

jason
Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2002, 7:33 PM

Post #3 of 21 (10532 views)
Shortcut

Some of the doggie's books recommend that you don't have to bath your puppy until her first birthday unless she is very dirty and smelly. But, you can give her a 'dry wash' by using a wet cloth. I think it is just because they scare the puppy will get cold if you don't raise it up completely after the bath!Smile

regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Jan 10, 2002, 7:38 PM

Post #4 of 21 (10531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] when should i start to bath my puppy? [In reply to] Can't Post

What I meant was -- you don't have to bath her as such..just get her used to having water on
her body...and teach her to stand still when you bathing her...so when she gets
older, she won't fight with you when you bath her...if you want to bath her,
make sure the shampoo is mild..

I don't think you should wait till her first birthday...I think I started bathing my pup when he was erm...10 weeks...but that wasn't really bathing also...just getting him used to the water..shanann, I think it is best to use your judgement..

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Rainbow -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

finnstar
Novice

Jan 23, 2002, 5:37 AM

Post #5 of 21 (10511 views)
Shortcut
Re: when should i start to bath my puppy? [In reply to] Can't Post

if you do decide to bathe your puppy remember not to let water drip into his ears as it could cause pus and infections and might also end up in causing deafness!

wipe the puppy after his bath to avoid him from catching a cold..

if you want u can dry your puppy with a hair dryer
(its a really funny thing but works wonders)

ths bout alll i can reccomend..

till nxt time..

Derrickok
Novice

Jan 23, 2002, 6:02 AM

Post #6 of 21 (10510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [finnstar] when should i start to bath my puppy? [In reply to] Can't Post

I once came across an article from overseas, which said that an old lady dried her dog or puppy, cann't remember really in a microven.
Can anyone comment on this practice and will it work?
Regards.

leopui
K9 Maniac

Jan 23, 2002, 7:32 AM

Post #7 of 21 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Hi Shanann,

Just wondering where did you get your pup/dog from? Have you check this with the breeder or to the one that you have it from?

Anyway, I provide the "first' bath with warm water to my puppies (GSD & WS) as soon as they are six weeks old and the next one is until they are nine weeks old. I would use cold water only when they are 15 weeks old and above.

# Make sure that the day is sunny when you are about to bath your pup/dog,

# Make sure that you have groomed your pup/dog to remove dead hair prior to the bath,

# Make sure that you have tied well your pup/dog into the choice place before the bath,

# Make sure that you started to bath your pup/dog from it "back-side",

# Make sure that the water did not drip into it ear & nose,

# Make sure that you use the correct soap or shampoo that are designed for canine,

# Make sure that you will run your both hand all over every inches of the pup/dog,

# Make sure that you have thoroughtly rinse the shampoo or soap over the body,

# Make sure that your pup/dog received at least 10 to 15 minutes "Sun Bath" after the "Water bath",

# Make sure that you will use dry towel to wipe or to use the pet's hair dryer,

# Make sure that you will give your pup/dog another grooming section to complete the bath.

REMEMBER, we are living in tropical country, we just can't follow what the book stated since MOST of the books were written by "UN-MOH" (read in Hokkien ... please)!!!

Speaking about the old lady using the microven to "dry" her pup/dog as asked by Derrick ... I guess I did hear about that if my memory is still correctly functioning well but I am not quite sure about this, howver ... American prefer to "bath" their dog at sauna and steam it well ... and that the "HOT-DOG" come from!!!

Hongkist would go a bit further to start with "HOT-BOILING" water to make sure all the un-wanted fur removed before they will add cooking oil and some tradtional spice to enhance the entire procedure ... and that we call ""San-Lok".

Well, just only a joke to make the forum more alive if it work!!!

LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

jason
Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2002, 8:42 AM

Post #8 of 21 (10506 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] when should i start to bath my puppy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Leopui,

Thanks for your info in bathing a puppy or dog!Smile

My problem when bathing my dog is she will try to 'catch' my hand with her mouth and make me difficult in shampooing her. Usually, I tied her up with a coller and leash at a place and used a water hose as the 'shower'. Just a little problem, any advice? Thanks.

regards

leopui
K9 Maniac

Jan 23, 2002, 5:04 PM

Post #9 of 21 (10505 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] when should i start to bath my puppy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Jason,

Use choke chain and tied UP close to her neck, the leash should be up tied too. This would help your pup/dog to remain it head up-right and stay still.

Good Luck.

LEO PUI

Derrickok
Novice

Jan 23, 2002, 5:12 PM

Post #10 of 21 (10504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] when should i start to bath my puppy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiya Leopui
Puppy will drown loh so early bath dog eh?

leopui
K9 Maniac

Jan 23, 2002, 8:11 PM

Post #11 of 21 (10497 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] when should i start to bath my puppy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha, with extra care and experience hand, the puppy enjoys their first bath!!!

In-fact, I will put the puppy (one by one of course) onto the basin and run the warm water over them. I am not quite sure about other breeder but so far, my pup loves to play with water ... some even sleep with one leg dip inside the drinking water ... while other would turn over the entire drinking bowl and sleep on top of the wet floor!!!

LEO PUI

shanann
Novice

Jan 23, 2002, 8:12 PM

Post #12 of 21 (10497 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] when should i start to bath my puppy? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there, i just bath my puppy last week...and i used warm water and puppy mild shampoo...to bath her, after the bath i use towel to rub all over the body...but her body keep gigle.... is that normal?

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jan 28, 2002, 4:48 AM

Post #13 of 21 (10468 views)
Shortcut

Shanann, I assume you meant to say that your puppy "wiggles" when you said "but her body keep gigle". It's perfectly normal! All dogs do that to shake the water out of their fur. Or sometimes they wiggle when you're rubbing them because it's some kind of reaction. Think of it as they're feeling ticklish!

As someone already mentioned, the pup's breeder should have already introduced the pup to it's first bath. What you should do is make it a FUN experience for your pup. Give her a treat before and after the bath. Make it pleasureable so that she will look forward to bathing. Most dogs by nature enjoy water, so it shouldn't be a problem introducing them to bathing. I'm not sure if they like water "sprayed" at them though. Just run the hose over their coat, you don't really have to sprinkle the water at them.

-= Tisha =-

jason
Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2002, 5:27 AM

Post #14 of 21 (10466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] when should i start to bath my puppy? [In reply to] Can't Post

You said that "Most dogs by nature enjoy water". Then, I wonder every dog knows how to swim by nature?Wink

Regards

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jan 28, 2002, 6:49 AM

Post #15 of 21 (10463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] when should i start to bath my puppy? [In reply to] Can't Post

hehe. I wonder too! Perhaps they do... some adapt to water more easily than others I guess!

-= Tisha =-

adrian
Novice

Mar 5, 2002, 7:58 AM

Post #16 of 21 (10446 views)
Shortcut
Can Dogs naturally swim by nature? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can they all swim by nature? Nope.

This are all experience from my own Dogs.

Bullmastiff - Sink like a rock. Panic. Now champion swimmer after many many lessons and bribes with chickens.

Pug - All paddle like mad but manage to swim pretty ok but only for short short periods. Either no stamina or mine are just out of shape. When they swim the eyes become 50% bigger and only the face you see. Very funny to look at.

Rottweiler - My Stud looks Macho but is useless. never wants to go far. Keeps to the sides all the time. The girls are excellent and can swim as far as 30 meters no problem. They love water and every chance will swim.

Boxer - Slow learner but can swim. Have to coax a lot.

GSD - All can swim but from their looks on their faces they prefer to stay on dry land. When they know its time to swim they all suffer from sudden deafness, cannot hear you when you call.

Retrievers & Labs - No Problem! Natural born swimmers but beware. Their coats become very heavy and unless they are very fit you have to supervise 100% concentration. Already had to jump into water once to save one but Labs are more 'terror'. Can swim really far.

English Mastiff - Sink like Rock. Never can learn.

The rest? Never try yet...

Swimming is great for the dogs and yourself. I will post some pictures the next time I go swimming with them.

luckey
ALPHA

Sep 20, 2002, 2:59 AM

Post #17 of 21 (10404 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adrian] Can Dogs naturally swim by nature? [In reply to] Can't Post

Our new house is going to have a small pool, so I'm teaching my Luckey to swim in a tub of water. What I do is fill it up and as soon as the tub has filled up, Luckey gets in of her own accord and paddles around. She also likes putting her paws in her drinking bowl and then overturning it. Last night she tried to drink from a pail (the ones our bigger dogs drink from) and then dived in head first!

Hope she becomes an excellent swimmer... has anyone here swum their cocker?

Khoobg
Webmaster

Sep 20, 2002, 5:30 AM

Post #18 of 21 (10401 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Can Dogs naturally swim by nature? [In reply to] Can't Post

My PUGs have on several occasion decided to dive in my garden pond that is 5 feet deep and they somehow able to keep themselves afloat. They are not really good swimmer (I guess) and I normally have pull them up before they decide to investigate the pond bottom Smile

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 20, 2002, 7:58 PM

Post #19 of 21 (10393 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Can Dogs naturally swim by nature? [In reply to] Can't Post

Webmaster,

One fine day, may we organise a short swiming session at your pond for my schnauzers? Wanna see whether they can swim or not...Sly

Rdgs Arthur

Khoobg
Webmaster

Sep 21, 2002, 6:44 AM

Post #20 of 21 (10380 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Can Dogs naturally swim by nature? [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess your Pepper may enjoy a nice swim and at the same time enjoy a nice meal of KOI.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 21, 2002, 9:36 AM

Post #21 of 21 (10377 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Can Dogs naturally swim by nature? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh no! How could I have forgottend your other love..koi fishes! In that case, please ignore my earlier request..cannot afford to compenstate you back should Pepper comes back with a nice grin on her face after an expensive snack of koi fish!Crazy

Rdgs Arthur

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my