I have problem training my pug to pee pee & poo poo

KawChai
Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2002, 5:45 AM

Post #1 of 10 (3379 views)
Shortcut
I have problem training my pug to pee pee & poo poo Can't Post

Hello all,

I have prob teaching my 9 weeks old pug to pee pee & poo poo. I have bought a pee pee tray for him ( with a piece of material like diapers) on the tray. For the first day when i brought him back, I am not sure about his time of pee&poo...so, i always miss it and he pee & poo inside the crate. After he pee& poo inside the crate , I imediately say 'no no' and take him out. Then I clean the crate.

And for today (2nd day) is the same, he didn't pee & poo when I am playing with him outside the crate...but once i put him inside the crate, he pee& poo.Unsure

I think he sort of mistaken the crate is to pee & poo.. Mad How arh ??

Crazy Please help me....

Khoobg
Webmaster

Nov 4, 2002, 9:41 PM

Post #2 of 10 (3368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KawChai] I have problem training my pug to pee pee & poo poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Once you let him pee & poo inside the case, there is a tendency that he will continue to do so because he will be able to recognise the smell and continue to do his business there. There is need to clean the crate properly to get rid of the smell.

Training young puppy is definitely not easy and to teach the puppy to understand what you want is quite challenging. Being young, they are not able to hold their pee and poo for long and if you are working during day time and away from puppy, to toilet train them will become even more difficult.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

Jimmy0216
Novice

Nov 5, 2002, 7:43 AM

Post #3 of 10 (3361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KawChai] I have problem training my pug to pee pee & poo poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush patient & consistence is the keywords for puppy training. Follow khoo sugestion will be great, as he is expereince in training pug!

regards,

Jimmy chin

Khoobg
Webmaster

Nov 5, 2002, 5:42 PM

Post #4 of 10 (3353 views)
Shortcut

Dear KawChai,

Alternatively, you can make your crate as a toilet for your pup. With the smell there, he will most likely go back to his crate to pee and poo. In such case, please keep all area clean and get rid of his pee or poo smell in other locations other than his crate.

As Jimmy has put it, training pup require a lot of patient and you will have to let your pup know what you want and that is the difficult part.

Cheers

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

KawChai
Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2002, 6:17 PM

Post #5 of 10 (3352 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] I have problem training my pug to pee pee & poo poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Jimmy,

I guess so too. Crazy

Khoo,
If i use the crate as toilet, which means I let him sleep outside the crate in the room, will Yoda become naughter ( because he can run around & play anytime he want) and harder to control next time ?

I did try putting newspaper on the floor...but he tear it into pieces. I did say "NO" to him, yea..he did stop ( he know I am scoding him)..but as soon as I walk-away....Unsure He ate the whole room up....tearing the newspaper into small pieces ( as small as 50cents coin).. Laugh

When I open the crate this morning for him to play a while b4 i go to work ( I will put him in crate when I work & not at home)....he poo on the floor...not on crate Crazy

arthur
ALPHA

Nov 5, 2002, 10:33 PM

Post #6 of 10 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Hi KawChai,

Both KhooBG and Jimmy have given you excellent advice. I would like to share my expericences here in toilet training my miniature schnauzers. First of all, designate a specific area for toilet training and stick to it. In my case, I use the backyard which is easily accessible to them at all times. Try not to use the crate if possible.

Second, try crate training. There are some excellent websites out there on this subject. This is an excellent way to train puppies in toilet training and I have raised 3 puppies up this way with positive results. Trick is to get a crate that is only big enough for an adult pug to stand up, turn around and lie down again. Too big.. and the puppy will treat one end as the attached bathroom, too small and it becomes cruel.

Also realise that as a rule of thumb, a puppy can only "tahan" 1+1hr for every month of age. In your case of 9weeks, it'll be in the range of 2 (mths) +1 =3 hrs before it has to go pee or pooh. Take that as your timing. Additionally, puppies have to go potty immediately after waking up or nap time, within 10-30mins after meals. Factor in the 3hrs holding period, it's not surprising for a puppy to go potty 6-8 times a day!

Crate training teaches a puppy to treat the crate like his/her private den, a safe place where he can rest/sleep and be protected from the brave new world he's exploring everyday. This training takes advantage of the puppy's instinct not to soil its own resting/sleeping place. However, for this to work, the puppy must first associate the crate as his own. So put him inside to sleep/nap, line it with his favourite toys or even an old piece of clothing with your smell in it to. Make him use to being inside by placing him to nap even when you are around. Place the crate so that he can still see you when he naps. After he wakes up, immediately take him, carry him if need be to the designated toilet area and praise him like mad when he potty there! Take him back inside to play, rest and after an hour or so, put him back inside. Let him sleep and repeat the cycle.

As the puppy grows up, you can stretch the hours between resting till eventually, he knows that inside the crate/home is for sleeping, outside is for toilet. However, if the puppy was raised inside the crate by the petshop, then you'll have to break this habit of peeing inside. Try it and wishing you every success!

Rdgs Arthur

KawChai
Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2002, 12:13 AM

Post #7 of 10 (3332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] I have problem training my pug to pee pee & poo poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Arthur,

WinkThank you for your advice.

Yeah, I believe Yoda is used to pee&poo inside the crate as the breeder (not petshop) is working during the day time. So, same with me also, I need to work during the day, so a little hard to toilet train him during day time.

I will try to break his habit at night, hopefully he will understand ( I am just worry during the day time).

The crate i get for him is 2.5feet ( big for him now, & just nice for him when he is mature). Instead of pee&poo at one corner & sleep at another corner, he is actually sleeping beside his poo Crazy even though he didn't eat or play with the poo. But when he saw me, he gets very excited and accidently steps on the poo coz the poo is just right beside him.

Some of my friends told me they only start toilet train their puppy when it reaches 6 months..
what do you guys think ?

I don't mind him pee-ing inside the crate because he pee many many times a day ( i read from book, puppy below 14 weeks pee up to 14 times a day) as they can't hold their pee. I tried taking him to toilet when he wake up..but he just can't tahan....when I open the crate & take him..he pee already. Sometimes .. he pee straight away b4 i even manage to take him out. It just, I didn't want him to poo inside.

He poo 5 times a day. 7am 12 am 3-4pm, 8-9pm and 3-4am Laugh. I leave the food for him whole-day and he eat many small meals instead of 3 big meals. So, could this be also once of the reason for him to poo so many times as
Unsure

arthur
ALPHA

Nov 6, 2002, 1:15 AM

Post #8 of 10 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Hi KawChai,

Glad to hear that Yoda do not play or eat his pooh. That's one less problem you have to worry about!Wink

As for waiting till 6mths to begin toilet training, personally I reckon that's a bit late. My puppies are all toilet trained by 3mths or earlier.

Since you are working and have to leave him alone in the crate during the day, would you consider buying a wire cage that has a removable tray at the bottom to collect the solid and liquid waste? This way, Yoda would not have to soil his crate and be in close proximity with his excretions. Hopefully, he will also learn to keep his crate clean by holding till you let him out to go pee/pooh in the designated area.

I feed my puppies twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night. That way I can sort of control when they will need to pooh.

Rdgs Arthur

KawChai
Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2002, 5:35 PM

Post #9 of 10 (3303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] I have problem training my pug to pee pee & poo poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Arthur,

Yea, the crate i get for him is a wired one, so his pee will fall down onto the tray, but his poo...errr...wont fall down unless he step on it...Laugh , most of the time he will step on it, so, I will need to do the cleaning once in the morning, once at night.

I think Yoda is quite a clean boy, coz he will not lick his poo ( even if he sleep beside the poo Unsure ..i wonder why, the crate is big enough for him to sleep at another corner mah), he only step on it...

He did make noise during at night when he want to poo, but thats like 3am Crazy

I am feeding him biscal to get rid of his pee&poo ordour( add on to his dry food), only the 2nd day feeding him, see if its work...

So, how old is your pup? Do you have someone at home to take care of him during the day time ?

Blush

arthur
ALPHA

Nov 6, 2002, 6:16 PM

Post #10 of 10 (3295 views)
Shortcut

Hi KawChai,

You wrote.."So, how old is your pup? Do you have someone at home to take care of him during the day time ?" Ans: Oh my puppies have all grown up now, the youngest will be turning 1yr this November. But during their puppyhood, I took leave for a week or so to stay at home during the initial 1st week when I bought them home from the breeder.

Rdg Arthur

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my